The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[discussion] Time to trade Oli Jouveli?

13 minutes ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

Still, he's quietly put up just under 800 games at the NHL level.  Obviously not at the level of a 1st pairing D but still a good cheap veteran D insurance policy.

Yep, he's a quality player who's battled his whole career to carve himself out a role. Not a bad guy to help mentor OJ.

• Cheers 2

C'mon now people.  JB just bought out his 1st ever draft selection as the GM of Canucks.  Do you really think he will unload his 2nd 1st round pick?  Uh uh.

What's the rush anyway?  They will carry 7 dmen (or even 8) and we all know the Canucks' injury record.  I know you all love Jack Rathbone, but keep in mind that he's a rookie that has never played more than 30 games in a season.  No reason to rush him, either.

• Cheers 1

5 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

Yep, he's a quality player who's battled his whole career to carve himself out a role. Not a bad guy to help mentor OJ.

Even better as Benning moved our AHL affiliate to a short car drive away.  Easily feasible to stash Schenn in Abbotsford (good influence on guys like Woo) & recall him if needed (keeps Schenn in game shape vs sitting in the pressbox for umpteen days at a time).

Edited by NewbieCanuckFan

1 minute ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

Even better as Benning moved our AHL affiliate to a short car drive away.  Easily feasible to stash Schenn in Abbotsford (good influence on guys like Woo) & recall him if needed (keeps Schenn in game shape vs sitting in the pressbox for umpteen days at a time).

I'm not convinced he clears waivers.

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 2
  • Vintage 1

3 hours ago, BarnBurner said:

IMO, everything you said would be an absolute bone-head move. 

Yeah, he had bad luck with injuries, but he's finally getting healthy and wasn't picked 5th overall because he's a punk. 

He showed last year that he's a very stable D with a great stretch pass, a really nice, accurate shot, and isn't afraid to take the body. People need to have more patience. 

The only thing with Joulevi is his ability to turn because of his knee injury.  Despite all of the above being true, he was getting burned by guys cutting to his left.   I don't remember where I heard it but somebody said it can take a couple of years for full recovery with his type of injury.  This is what Benning is waiting for before making a final judgement on Oli.  

4 hours ago, Alflives said:

I really like Bone, but he doesn’t need waivers to go to Abbotsford.  OJ has a spot to lose.  If he does lose his spot he’s done.  He won’t clear waivers.  Might be able to trade him to a bottom feeder team that thinks if waived OJ will get taken before their turn.  But this is an October thing, I think.  

The main thing I didn't like about our signings on defense was that I was worried there wouldn't be room to play both Juolevi and Rathbone. Didn't realize Rathbone didn't need waivers to go to Abbotsford. That might be our best option. 

Juolevi looked really good with Myers. Would love to see that pairing again. It sucks that he got so sick from Covid. But with a full offseason and clean bill of health, I think he'll come back bigger, stronger, and faster.

• Cheers 1

Rathbone played when playoff teams were already decided and we were just playing out the season. Most of the guys were exhausted. Juolevi is a way better candidate for the bottom pairing. If Rathbone sticks, he'll be behind Juolevi.

I like Motte, but if he fetches a decent return, we definitely have to consider it. We have other players who can play a similar role and he has more value to other teams than them.(except Hoglander)

3 hours ago, Trebreh said:

I hope Juolevi's been working on his skating this summer, cause right now the bottom LD position is Rathbone's to lose. 

I think it is OJ's to loose. We have two offensively  gifted LD in our line up now with OEL and Quinn. Jack can be sent to the minors without risk of have to be put on waivers. Oj will start the year on the canucks . Hes a big strong defensively minded LHD that we lack. We need these types of players just as much as Hugh's and Jack and well to a degree myers whos playing a more defensive game then he did on the Jets.  OJ doesn't get enough respect because he plays a good low key game no flash, just quietly about his job  and does it well. Jack will start in abbotsford putting up huge TOI with Woo selling out the building gaining as much interest in the baby canucks as possible. Selling the Canucks brand. Getting called up to show him off on the big club when injuries inevitably happen.

• Cheers 1

5 hours ago, Nuck1991 said:

tyler myers contract is the most im worried about, if we can some how trade him for john klingberg but we would need to retain a lot of salary and throw in a prospect 

Myers contract is fine for the player he is, we got him probably 1m under the speculated market value for him. I see no need to move him. He isn’t spectacular but he does his role well and when he was injured during bubble hockey we really saw what we were missing. I think people overlook that