The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[discussion] Time to trade Oli Jouveli?

25 minutes ago, vancan2233 said:

Good read, and why training camp and pre season is so important. There seems to always be someone that steals a spot in the line up. 

he won’t steal a spot from Juolevi simply because he doesn’t have to clear waivers and you need to develop all your players. The canucks are not giving up on OJ after he had a fine start and was then impacted the worst by covid. He’s shown at every level he’s improved and is an NHL defender. 

You make room for Rathbone as needed on injuries etc because unless OJ is just awful you don’t want him wasting in the press box. 

I find it hilarious how many of the same people who scream about “asset management”, never consider how to manage assets! lol (not you)

Edited by Podz19

1 hour ago, Podz19 said:

he won’t steal a spot from Juolevi simply because he doesn’t have to clear waivers and you need to develop all your players. The canucks are not giving up on OJ after he had a fine start and was then impacted the worst by covid. He’s shown at every level he’s improved and is an NHL defender. 

You make room for Rathbone as needed on injuries etc because unless OJ is just awful you don’t want him wasting in the press box. 

I find it hilarious how many of the same people who scream about “asset management”, never consider how to manage assets! lol (not you)

I have no problem if this the plan, but what if Rathbone is the best D man in camp and pre game play. He has that in him. He was just as good as Fox in College hockey. Fox in one of the Rangers better D man. Just saying, but he will more then likely start in the AHL. 

Their expectations for Rathbone were likely lower as well given how little pro experience he had, which makes it easier to impress.  I do find it strange that Juolevi hasn't signed his QO.  He doesn't have any bargaining power imo.

We finally have some defensive depth.  Why are we trading it now?

Our LD depth Chart looks something like this:

OEL

Hughes

Rathbone/Juolevi

Hunt

Brisebois

Deal Juolevi, have an injury and Brad Hunt is your next best LH option.  I get they'd slide a RD over in a pinch, but that is not ideal for a longer term solution.  I really like the idea of having a "4th pairing" D available on each side.  As of now that looks like it would be Juolevi and Schenn, that is an awesome safety net.

JB did a good job of building out our RD depth this offseason.  Next years focus needs to be LW and LD.