The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] Escalating market price for defencemen (Quinn Hughes)

Rate this topic

grandmaster

21 hours ago, ba;;isticsports said:

Escalating market price on Defenceman?, But, Hughes is more like a forward playing the point on the p,p, :bigblush:

We'll said and imagine what he'll be like when he actually learns how to play defence !   He'll be the 2nd coming of Bobby Orr!

Edited by RU SERIOUS
  • Vintage 2

On 7/31/2021 at 1:09 AM, DownUndaCanuck said:

I think Barrie and Brodie are more comparable contracts for Hughes. 4-5M. He doesn't deserve anything over 5.5M IMO because he's one of the worst defensively in the league, shocking +/- and doesn't kill penalties, so basically doesn't do the important half job of being a defenceman, therefore he gets paid half of what those big guys do.

Werenski and Hamilton put up numbers similar to Hughes if not better, they log big minutes on a top pairing, shutdown opposing team's top lines and kill penalties. Hughes does only one of those things - puts up assists. To be fair he doesn't even score the goals that some of those guys do.

For me he deserves 5M x 3 years and go from there but I think we've just got a rich man's Barrie/Brodie on our hands at best.

You have to pay for potential though...

Those guys are well established. 

On 8/2/2021 at 12:25 AM, MikeyD said:

You have to pay for potential though...

Those guys are well established. 

That's why I think a 2 year bridge works well for Hughes. Show us if you can ramp it up. I don't think he will physically or defensively, he may score 60 points in a season but that isn't enough for 8-10M.

• Vintage 1

8 hours ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

That's why I think a 2 year bridge works well for Hughes. Show us if you can ramp it up. I don't think he will physically or defensively, he may score 60 points in a season but that isn't enough for 8-10M.

getting 60 pts is good, but being directly responsible for 60+ points wouldn't be either

I agree give him time to learn how to be strong on defence too, as he is with offence before spending even bigger money

• Cheers 1

10 hours ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

While I agree, convincing that to somebody who is negotiating for their wage is a tough sell. Hughes has the leverage in that instance. You're either paying more for the bridge or you're paying less but for term. 

I don't think we can still compare Hughes to Makar anymore. One was a Norris nominee. I think a bridge deal works in order for Hughes to add more D to his game. Hughes rookie season looked great, maybe the added physical attention slowed Hughes down some. 

PP hands down he wins that, but now Hughes needs to show a more complete game, on both sides of the puck. 

Edited by Hairy Kneel
  • Cheers 1

On 7/30/2021 at 7:08 PM, Top Sven Baercheese said:

I am completely perplexed on so many people saying that Hughes can't play D. The best defense, is a good offense. Last season we played a ton of games against 2 of the most offensive juggernauts in the NHL and Hughes often had those matchups. 

Complaints like this is why I wouldn't be surprised if Quinn darted right when he could become a UFA. Why can't we just appreciate that we have a player that (with Makar and Fox) has completely changed the way d-men operate. 

Quinn is one of the best of the league at carrying the puck out of the zone, as well as contributing offensively. I wouldn't care how much we had to pay to keep him, he's so fun to watch

Trade him to the devils for his other D brother

• Wat 1

Hughes has the potential to be one of the best offensive Dmen in the league. He got 41 points in 56 games, and it was an "off" season for him. Sophomore slump... 
A bridge deal is most realistic cause he has deficiencies on defense. But after that I don't think a contract in the ballpark of those being given around the league is ridiculous. People are acting like he has to become a top penalty killer to get that. And no, he doesn't. He just has to prove he can get a point per game, and be an elite puckmover, and I think he will. The best defense is a good offense, and guys like Karlsson have proven that. I remember a game against the Sharks where Karlsson barely had the puck, because Hughes always had it--he has that type of potential. But I think JP Barry is realistic in that he knows this is Hughes' second contract, and he is not eligible for an offer sheet. As long as we try to sign him in earnest, he will be signed.

On 7/31/2021 at 3:01 AM, khay said:

Yeah but he's an RFA that can't be offersheeted unlike Jones and Werenski who were about to get on the open market.

In other words, he has very little leverage other than threatening to sit out the season.

But I don't see him as that type of player.

All JB has to do is to not make a lowball offer so as to insult him to not wanting to stay in Van long term. Just negotiate in good faith, point out that he doesn't have much leverage and get him signed at 5.5 on a bridge deal (i.e., Boeser deal) or 7ish on a long term deal.

Yeah but he sit like what Nylander and that didn't do the Leafs any good even once he returned that season. 

If Quinn sits until right before the deadline Canucks aren't getting Quinn in his full form next season 

On 8/3/2021 at 11:07 AM, Topcheeze86 said:

Hes a generational talent him and makar will be battling for top defensive points for the next 10 years BUT i do feel when he becomes a UFA years from now he will bolt to the USA or find a way to be a devil 

He is generational?    He isn’t even the best dman from his draft class.   
what does generational mean?   Haha

2 hours ago, drummerboy said:

He is generational?    He isn’t even the best dman from his draft class.   
what does generational mean?   Haha

Its funny how last year we were saying nothing but great things about Hughes with some saying he's better than Makar.

Now it's time to resign an extension and some here even says he isn't as good as Darnell Nurse. 

Yeah, generally speaking, we're quite awful with our players :lol:

4 hours ago, iinatcc said:

Its funny how last year we were saying nothing but great things about Hughes with some saying he's better than Makar.

Now it's time to resign an extension and some here even says he isn't as good as Darnell Nurse. 

Yeah, generally speaking, we're quite awful with our players :lol:

I didn’t say he was awful at all.  
He is no Makar ;)  but he is still amazing. 

I said he isn’t generational.  

9 minutes ago, drummerboy said:

I didn’t say he was awful at all.  
He is no Makar ;)  but he is still amazing. 

I said he isn’t generational.  

I was actually referring to people in this board in general not you specifically ;)