The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Toronto signs Nick Ritchie

10 hours ago, Jimmy McGill said:

I'm not a luddite, I get the value of it internally. But to use it to predictively slam teams and feed the trolling hordes is too much. D+ my hiney. If Dubas had pulled off what Jim did they would pull out a different stat argument to fluff that fan base. 

I’m half with you. Part of my job involved analytical skills and the running of specific analytics  (not in sport). One thing people who don’t understand analytics is that there is no ‘god’ figure that tells you absolutely everything about a situation. By using multiple you can begin to paint a picture but again it’s not foolproof and you need to know the situation that generated the results.

let’s use a retail example - a store replaces a manager, you introduce a new line of products across the business and you also heavily market it across various media.  This store we are referring to outperforms by a significant margins  the business over a weekends trading in comparison to the rest.  Why? Which of the above was the cause. The only variable in the above is the manager - so did a new store manager suddenly make more people purchase items, or was it the combination of them and the new products? 

or is it the demographics of the people who live by that store, whereby the media made a better penetration?

or was it that over that weekend there was a new that year festival in that town which significantly increased footfall resulting in more sales due to this? 

analytics can get you the impact of the manager, the impact of the media on the demographics and also understand how a product range performs across the business  and whether an individual store is over performing.

what it doesn’t tell you is other external factors - like the new festival. It gives you enough to ask why and then delve into the causes.

same with sports - in baseball when every ball is a separate event it’s easier to do this, in other sports it’s not as easy. Analytics should be in used in context and never as a person has x WAR therefore is trash. 

same as if a player moves teams it cannot factor in teams and system prior to the data being generated, and it cannot give you have a player will react to the environment of that team, like moving from say Florida to a Canadian team. 

if a player moves around a lot we can start to look at performance across similar teams/markets and see if there are trends, but that’s a retrospective view and doesn’t exist on the first move and many players won’t move around enough to make that sort of overview significant 

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

17 hours ago, King Heffy said:

Like the player but that's still too much.  Glad they won't be addressing the issues on their D though.

TBH their problem Wasnt D or goalie in the playoffs. About 33million dollaroos in forwards ghosted them

Edited by Dats hockey

Was hoping we would have signed him, nice short term show-me contract. He's been taking a while to find his game, bounced around teams, and maybe last year his numbers were inflated playing with Boston but he's finally become a 20-goal pace scorer. Basically a project we all wanted Virtanen to become.

Around 2M is a steal for someone who might explode, or might just drop 15-20 goals on a 3rd line playing a heavy tough game. I doubt he regresses now. 

Would have loved him with any extra cash we have leftover from our big signings but now maybe JB can focus on a depth centerman.

8 hours ago, UKNuck96 said:

I’m half with you. Part of my job involved analytical skills and the running of specific analytics  (not in sport). One thing people who don’t understand analytics is that there is no ‘god’ figure that tells you absolutely everything about a situation. By using multiple you can begin to paint a picture but again it’s not foolproof and you need to know the situation that generated the results.

let’s use a retail example - a store replaces a manager, you introduce a new line of products across the business and you also heavily market it across various media.  This store we are referring to outperforms by a significant margins  the business over a weekends trading in comparison to the rest.  Why? Which of the above was the cause. The only variable in the above is the manager - so did a new store manager suddenly make more people purchase items, or was it the combination of them and the new products? 

or is it the demographics of the people who live by that store, whereby the media made a better penetration?

or was it that over that weekend there was a new that year festival in that town which significantly increased footfall resulting in more sales due to this? 

analytics can get you the impact of the manager, the impact of the media on the demographics and also understand how a product range performs across the business  and whether an individual store is over performing.

what it doesn’t tell you is other external factors - like the new festival. It gives you enough to ask why and then delve into the causes.

same with sports - in baseball when every ball is a separate event it’s easier to do this, in other sports it’s not as easy. Analytics should be in used in context and never as a person has x WAR therefore is trash. 

same as if a player moves teams it cannot factor in teams and system prior to the data being generated, and it cannot give you have a player will react to the environment of that team, like moving from say Florida to a Canadian team. 

if a player moves around a lot we can start to look at performance across similar teams/markets and see if there are trends, but that’s a retrospective view and doesn’t exist on the first move and many players won’t move around enough to make that sort of overview significant 

really good examples. I have no issues when its properly used, but the "WAR" + "that guy is crap" stuff gets thrown around its just too much. 

2 hours ago, Jimmy McGill said:

really good examples. I have no issues when its properly used, but the "WAR" + "that guy is crap" stuff gets thrown around its just too much. 

For me it’s a useful tool to help analyse a player in a specific context but outside of the context it’s just people playing top trumps with numbers 

• Vintage 1