The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Does anyone worry about the Canucks forwards not having enough size and toughness?

Rate this topic

I am a little worried our team is too small and will be pushed around. I really hope not but it would have been nice to add someone like a Ritchie. He’s gone to Toronto. Any thoughts on this. I know Podkolzin has size but he is a rookie. I am not sure what Dickinson is like and if he possesses some toughness. I am not talking about fighting but just the ability to not be thrown around when it gets physical.

Edited by Canuckfanforlife82
  • Like 2

37 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

Not that much. Pearson, MacEwan, Bo, Dickie, Brock, Podkolzin are all over 200 lbs. Hoglander and Garland are 'lil but they aren't afraid to play bigger than they are. Dickinson is also supposed to be a hard player to deal with. 

Our d group has some OK size to it now as well.

I would have liked to add Ritchie for something like 1.25-1.5 x 1 year but not what TO gave him. Having said that, it would be nice to add a bit more size to the 4th line somehow. 

OMG, we needed Nick Ritchie 6'3. 230 but Leafs just signed him.. Great signing only 25 very tough..

• RoughGame 1

46 minutes ago, Canuckfanforlife82 said:

I am a little worried our team is too small and will be pushed around. I really hope not but it would have been nice to add someone like a Ritchie. He’s gone to Toronto. Any thoughts on this. I know Podkolzin has size but he is a rookie. I am not sure what Dickinson is like and if he possesses some toughness. I am not talking about fighting but just the ability to not be thrown around when it gets physical.

Think we have some mid-sized forwards that play with some grit. Miller doesnt take any crap. As mentioned above Pearson, Bo & Dickinson have some size. I was intrigued on whether they might take a swing at Ritchie. Seems like a real miss and frankly surprised the Bruins let him walk. 

I wouldn't be surprised to see Benning add a 4th line knuckle dragger to the fold after he gets the 4 contracts signed of our RFA's.

1 minute ago, wildcam said:

OMG, we needed Nick Ritchie 6'3. 230 but Leafs just signed him.. Great signing only 25 very tough..

Great signing 2 YRS X 2.5 million -- GP 56 --G 15 --PTS 26 --- Can play in top 6, will be better then Hyman...

Ritchie will put up points playing with Toronto top 6...

2021-22 --GP 75 -G 25 --PTS 50-55 -- 160 Pim

4 minutes ago, TheCammer said:

Think we have some mid-sized forwards that play with some grit. Miller doesnt take any crap. As mentioned above Pearson, Bo & Dickinson have some size. I was intrigued on whether they might take a swing at Ritchie. Seems like a real miss and frankly surprised the Bruins let him walk. 

I wouldn't be surprised to see Benning add a 4th line knuckle dragger to the fold after he gets the 4 contracts signed of our RFA's.

I just don't see a single player on the club that is scary.....these guys with some size like Miller, Pearson, and Dickenson are still not intimidating.

I probably wouldn't want to go with Bo or Mac but I would if I had to.....

1 minute ago, Chris12345 said:

I just don't see a single player on the club that is scary.....these guys with some size like Miller, Pearson, and Dickenson are still not intimidating.

That’s what I mean. I don’t feel we have a player that keeps the other team honest. It allows other teams to take liberties with our players.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Chris12345 said:

Agreed. I just don't think we're a complete pushover.

• Hydration 2

Just now, Canuckfanforlife82 said:

That’s what I mean. I don’t feel we have a player that keeps the other team honest. It allows other teams to take liberties with our players.

Yea it's a potential problem.

I mean if one were inclined they'd run Garland or Hodz through the glass. The only players on Van that can respond? Maybe Schenn or Mac if dressed.

• Like 1

Yes, I've been worried that we get pushed around too much for several years.  The problem is, and I hate to say it, that it all comes down to officiating.  It tends to be that if we build big strong tough teams, we get all the penalties, and then we get beat on the scoreboard.  If we put together a small skilled team, the refs swallow their whistles, and we get both beat up physically and on the scoreboard.  If we could only get fair refereeing.  I know that's a big ask.  Another issue is that the rules change during the playoffs.  What is a penalty in the regular season clearly isn't in the playoffs so teams need one style of play in order to get into the playoffs and another style of play in order to be successful in the playoffs.  As hockey fans, we're used to this, but really it's a ridiculous state of affairs.  Other contact sports see the value in keeping consistent penalties, why can't the NHL? 

Yes, we need more size, toughness, and even meanness in order to have any chance of surviving the playoffs.  It shouldn't have to be that way, but that's the way it is.  We should be able to ice the team we have now and see success, but like I said it all comes down to officiating.  And I don't have much confidence in NHL officiating to be consistent and impartial. 

Go Canucks Go!

• Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

15 minutes ago, wildcam said:

well not sure how much choice we had in it. How much more would you pay to have hm here? 

It depends what we mean by lack of size and toughness.  The Canucks aren't that small IMHO.  They have a few smaller players in Hughes, Garland and Hoglander, but the rest of the team is mostly average sized (height and weight) with a few guys who are probably a bit above average (e.g. Myers, MacEwen, Podkolzin).

To me, what the teams lacks is the trait of "snarl" (if I can put it that way).  Outside of MacEwen (and even not really strongly in his case), the team still doesn't necessarily feel like it's one that would impose it's will physically over other teams.  It's not that they can't, it's just that it's not really the play style.

I think where the team could make up for lack of "snarl" is with feistiness and relentlessness.  While I don't think the team has a mindset of initiating with aggressive play, I do think the team has more depth heading into next year to lay a feisty and relentless style that won't back down from physical push back from other teams.  Garland comes to mind as one such player who has a playstyle that is terribly feisty and relentless despite his lack of size and which annoys opponents immensely (see Mackinnon throwing Garland's helmet at him).  Hoglander has proven this quality too, it's pretty much the calling card of Podkolzin (and he could possibly also be considered aggressive in his play style), and Dickinson also has these qualities so there are at least three players who should be able to bring this character of play regularly.  Love him or not, Pearson is still a middle 6 two-way player that can handle a physical game.  I don't think I need to say too much about Miller since we have all seen his passion and relentlessness (notwithstanding some terrible giveaways at various points of last season) for a couple seasons now.

Could the team use bigger players and be more tough?  Probably, but every team needs pretty much all dressed players to also be able to play a regular shift no matter how big and tough they are.  Pat Maroon is made fun of a lot but but he's another one of those big, aggressive players that can play a regular shift which helped make him a critical piece in Tampa.

I think one question I'm considering is whether this team is better than the team that took Vegas to 7 games in the Playoff Bubble.  I think it's hard to say it isn't and during that playoffs, size and toughness wasn't quite as much of a problem as a lack of depth of skill and overall team speed (Vegas' style taxes many teams since it's a relentless use of their speed that stretches teams).  The team looks way stronger heading into next season (notwithstanding questions on D).

• Like 1
  • Vintage 1

19 minutes ago, wildcam said:

I always find the size of these guys so interesting....

Is he really that size or does he round down because he's overweight?

Is Hughes really 5'10? There's no way haha.

1 hour ago, Canuckfanforlife82 said:

Yes I also feel that we could use a bit more size.  Outside of Miller, Horvat, and Podkolzin, the Canucks aren’t exactly big up front.  Pearson and Dickinson have size but don’t really assert themselves physically.

This is also another reason why I’m hoping that Zack MacEwen can have a strong training camp and win a spot in the line-up (possibly beating out Highmore).  MacEwen is a Power Forward and would give us a little more snarl up front.  

8 minutes ago, EternalCanuckFan said:

It depends what we mean by lack of size and toughness.  The Canucks aren't that small IMHO.  They have a few smaller players in Hughes, Garland and Hoglander, but the rest of the team is mostly average sized (height and weight) with a few guys who are probably a bit above average (e.g. Myers, MacEwen, Podkolzin).

To me, what the teams lacks is the trait of "snarl" (if I can put it that way).  Outside of MacEwen (and even not really strongly in his case), the team still doesn't necessarily feel like it's one that would impose it's will physically over other teams.  It's not that they can't, it's just that it's not really the play style.

I think where the team could make up for lack of "snarl" is with feistiness and relentlessness.  While I don't think the team has a mindset of initiating with aggressive play, I do think the team has more depth heading into next year to lay a feisty and relentless style that won't back down from physical push back from other teams.  Garland comes to mind as one such player who has a playstyle that is terribly feisty and relentless despite his lack of size and which annoys opponents immensely (see Mackinnon throwing Garland's helmet at him).  Hoglander has proven this quality too, it's pretty much the calling card of Podkolzin (and he could possibly also be considered aggressive in his play style), and Dickinson also has these qualities so there are at least three players who should be able to bring this character of play regularly.  Love him or not, Pearson is still a middle 6 two-way player that can handle a physical game.  I don't think I need to say too much about Miller since we have all seen his passion and relentlessness (notwithstanding some terrible giveaways at various points of last season) for a couple seasons now.

Could the team use bigger players and be more tough?  Probably, but every team needs pretty much all dressed players to also be able to play a regular shift no matter how big and tough they are.  Pat Maroon is made fun of a lot but but he's another one of those big, aggressive players that can play a regular shift which helped make him a critical piece in Tampa.

I think one question I'm considering is whether this team is better than the team that took Vegas to 7 games in the Playoff Bubble.  I think it's hard to say it isn't and during that playoffs, size and toughness wasn't quite as much of a problem as a lack of depth of skill and overall team speed (Vegas' style taxes many teams since it's a relentless use of their speed that stretches teams).  The team looks way  heading into next season (notwithstanding questions on D).

Your comment on snarl is accurate.

Like I said I would pick on Garland, Hodz, and Hughes. Won't get much pushback especially if all 3 are in the ice at once.

Imagine a scrum haha? Ugly.

On 7/31/2021 at 9:26 AM, wildcam said:

Great signing 2 YRS X 2.5 million -- GP 56 --G 15 --PTS 26 --- Can play in top 6, will be better then Hyman...

Ritchie will put up points playing with Toronto top 6...

2021-22 --GP 75 -G 25 --PTS 50-55 -- 160 Pim

It’s pretty clear that you haven’t watched either of these players if you think Ritchie will be better than Hyman. 

Edited by Kenny Blankenship
  • Hydration 3

1 hour ago, Jimmy McGill said:

Not that much. Pearson, MacEwan, Bo, Dickie, Brock, Podkolzin are all over 200 lbs. Hoglander and Garland are 'lil but they aren't afraid to play bigger than they are. Dickinson is also supposed to be a hard player to deal with. 

Our d group has some OK size to it now as well.

I would have liked to add Ritchie for something like 1.25-1.5 x 1 year but not what TO gave him. Having said that, it would be nice to add a bit more size to the 4th line somehow. 

I agree with all of your post except for Hoglander he isn't little he is short but build like a tank.