The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Does anyone worry about the Canucks forwards not having enough size and toughness?

Rate this topic

Canuckfanforlife82

5 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

I would've preferred they sign Khaira to C the 4th line, but they decided to re-sign old faithful. 

Khaira has had concussion issues.  I assume a red flag for a guy you want as an enforcer.  Also, with the situation with Ferland, they are probably gun shy.

I look at it more as "team" toughness.  

Garland, Motte, Highmore and Hogz are smallish but agressive and don't get pushed around and don't tak crap.

EP and Hughes, Rathbone and OJ are slight good enough that they avoid the mess generally.

OEL, Boeser, Sutter, are good sized and don't get pushed around but don't really scrap.

Horvat, Podkolzin, Myers, Dickinson, Pearson, Poolman and Miller are a little more surly, have size, and will throw down if necessary.

MacEwen, Schenn, Hamonic will drop as necessary.

I guess if you look at it, we have enough fight in us, but of the 3 fighters, only 1 is a regular in the lineup.

I am not really worried, but it wouldn't hurt to add a regular playing 3rd liner that will throw down.  Shame about Ferland, he would be the perfect player for the situation.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Cheers 2

22 minutes ago, thrago said:

I agree with all of your post except for Hoglander he isn't little he is short but build like a tank.

thats true, he's supposed to be something like 190lbs? just saying we have two smaller height dudes that play bigger than they are "supposed" to. 

22 minutes ago, Dixon Ward said:

Khaira has had concussion issues.  I assume a red flag for a guy you want as an enforcer.  Also, with the situation with Ferland, they are probably gun shy.

Garland, Motte, Highmore and Hogz are smallish but agressive and don't get pushed around and don't tak crap.

EP and Hughes, Rathbone and OJ are slight good enough that they avoid the mess generally.

OEL, Boeser, Sutter, are good sized and don't get pushed around but don't really scrap.

Horvat, Podkolzin, Myers, Dickinson, Pearson, Poolman and Miller are a little more surly, have size, and will throw down if necessary.

I guess if you look at it, we have enough fight in us, but of the 3 fighters, only 1 is a regular in the lineup.

I am not really worried, but it wouldn't hurt to add a regular playing 3rd liner that will throw down.  Shame about Ferland, he would be the perfect player for the situation.

I like the way you've laid this out. I'm hoping we see a bit more of a pack mentality with this group than we've seen in previous years and it looks like we've added more of that kind of character to the group.

So we'll see, maybe there's a PTO to come yet this camp that brings more pure fighting skill.

I think something we have to add here is "Tenacious", big or small, a player needs this to put us above our opponents. This is more critical in the playoffs. 

Smaller players tend to have it(Motte,Hoglander) and are successful. Where as players such as Naslund, Petterson or Daniel Sedin will be taken advantage of when the opponents know you lack it.

Bigger players who lack tenacity(Sutter, Virtanen) are basically useless unless they use their size strength and wear down the oponents. If players such as Patrick Kane, Marner or Johnny Gaudreau are left to dangle in the o-zone, that could be troublesome if they have no fear of being hit or muscled off the puck. 

This has been a big contention of mine over the years as this is why we lack playoff success. We are out-worked or out-muscled , especialy during the Nazzy/Sedin years. 

The loss of Ferland and the ineffectiveness of Roussel and Virtanen has had a real detrimental affect on this club and it appears JB has been trying to address this issue. 

I still believe we lack a Maroon/Reaves type player to keep some opponents honest though.  

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, Canuckfanforlife82 said:

I am a little worried our team is too small and will be pushed around. I really hope not but it would have been nice to add someone like a Ritchie. He’s gone to Toronto. Any thoughts on this. I know Podkolzin has size but he is a rookie. I am not sure what Dickinson is like and if he possesses some toughness. I am not talking about fighting but just the ability to not be thrown around when it gets physical.

I would have liked to see us grab Richie as well for that reason but we aren't small. We do have some big guys but they will need to play more physical at times.

Miller

Bo

Boeser

Myers

Schenn

Hamonic

Poolman 

Mckewan

All the above are big guys and guys like Motte, Garland and Hoglander and Podz aren't scared to play hard, so while not big, they are not going to back down. That being said, I would also have loved to see Ritchie here, or for the very rough big team games, have Gadj in the lineup. I hope he makes a statement in camp and is ready for regular call ups. This may be why they stayed away from Ritchie as well, we have a potentially better player in Gadj, knocking at the door.

• Cheers 1

53 minutes ago, Dixon Ward said:

And Gadj is certainly ready for spot duty and call ups for rough games when required.

• Cheers 1

I am not concerned at all. I think we have a great mix of skill and will. Look at TB. Their forwards outside of Maroon are all on the smallish to medium size and it could be argued their most effective and impactful line 5 on 5 was their 3rd line and Gourde, Goodrow and Coleman are all gone. TB still has world beaters in Kuch, POint and Hedman but that 3rd line wasn't huge physically but played an aggressive in your face, puck hounding style and I think we have players of that ilk. Miller, Horvat, Hoglander, Podz, even Petey pursues the puck hard. 

• Like 1

If we are fast, quick, tenacious while being skilled, I'm not too worried about the size. Just look at Tampa and their forwards. Not very big but they are fast, quick to puck, tenacious, and have tons of skill.

One misconception is that adding one size makes the team bigger and tougher to play against. 

That's no longer true with the days of the enforcers long gone.

Although, there still are predators like Wilson around and having a tough guys can deter threats from those predators.

• Like 1

Tampa won 2 cups without a true heavyweight on their roster.  So it's not necessary to have a Lucic or Reaves on your team.  We added Schenn who is a bull, we have MacEwen who rag dolled Nurse and we have Gadjovich who may be the toughest of the 3.  

We also have big bodies in Miller, BO, Podkolzin, Myers, Hamonic, Poolman, Dickinson.  So I'm not too worried about getting pushed around.  

• Cheers 2
  • Vintage 1

We need someone with size, a respected reputation, can win fights, and also play hockey. 

The guy I like is Marcus Foligno from Minnesota 

He could play up and down our left wing ultimately allowing Podkolzin to start on the fourth line in sheltered minutes. 

Miller Pettersson Boeser

Pearson Horvat Garland

Foligno Dickinson Hoglander

Motte Sutter Podkolzin 

2 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Tampa won 2 cups without a true heavyweight on their roster.  So it's not necessary to have a Lucic or Reaves on your team.  We added Schenn who is a bull, we have MacEwen who rag dolled Nurse and we have Gadjovich who may be the toughest of the 3.  

We also have big bodies in Miller, BO, Podkolzin, Myers, Hamonic, Poolman, Dickinson.  So I'm not too worried about getting pushed around.  

......and yet.....you were "body slammed" with no repercussions Petey!!! ::D

• Haha 2