Jump to content
The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Does anyone worry about the Canucks forwards not having enough size and toughness?

Rate this topic


Recommended Posts

7 hours ago, Jimmy McGill said:

Not that much. Pearson, MacEwan, Bo, Dickie, Brock, Podkolzin are all over 200 lbs. Hoglander and Garland are 'lil but they aren't afraid to play bigger than they are. Dickinson is also supposed to be a hard player to deal with. 

 

Our d group has some OK size to it now as well.

 

I would have liked to add Ritchie for something like 1.25-1.5 x 1 year but not what TO gave him. Having said that, it would be nice to add a bit more size to the 4th line somehow. 

 

Also Gads has potential too... Miller is also built like a brick shi!thouse so yes we have some size upfront.   Every line should do fine.  Pearson is a little light but doesn't mind sticking his nose where it doesn't belong as far as the other goalies crease.    Podz ... really hope he looks like Linden out there too.   NHL as a whole is much smaller then it used to be ... going right back to 1989.   That's where things sit right now.    Our team isn't small.    It's not huge either.  Upper third which is ok by me. 

  • Vintage 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, NUCKER67 said:

Highmore - Sutter - Motte certainly won't scare anybody, but the Canucks could even out the toughness in the bottom 6.

 

Pearson - Dickinson - Motte

Highmore - Sutter - Podkolzin

Hogs EP BB

Pearson Horvat Garland

Motte Miller Podz

Gads/Mack Sutter Dickinson 

 

Teams won't know what to do with that. We can finally roll three scoring lines and have one shutdown line.    And none need to be sheltered. 

 

 

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, EdgarM said:

I think something we have to add here is "Tenacious", big or small, a player needs this to put us above our opponents. This is more critical in the playoffs. 

Smaller players tend to have it(Motte,Hoglander) and are successful. Where as players such as Naslund, Petterson or Daniel Sedin will be taken advantage of when the opponents know you lack it.

Bigger players who lack tenacity(Sutter, Virtanen) are basically useless unless they use their size strength and wear down the oponents. If players such as Patrick Kane, Marner or Johnny Gaudreau are left to dangle in the o-zone, that could be troublesome if they have no fear of being hit or muscled off the puck. 

This has been a big contention of mine over the years as this is why we lack playoff success. We are out-worked or out-muscled , especialy during the Nazzy/Sedin years. 

The loss of Ferland and the ineffectiveness of Roussel and Virtanen has had a real detrimental affect on this club and it appears JB has been trying to address this issue. 

I still believe we lack a Maroon/Reaves type player to keep some opponents honest though.  

I think the last line has merit.   Gads and Zack could possibly take that on.    

 

Sutter is bean poke,  don't know why Pearson is ever brought up as a guy with size - he's average, same as TT, both were pussy cats playing against Vegas on the walls, BB did a better job.   

 

Podz i hope comes as advertised.   He's our Brady T.    EP has  a slight frame but room to grow into it.   Miller/Horvat is the muscle really.    Podz is the guy i'm most curious about given we haven't seen him play yet.    Zack is ok and Gads has plenty of upside (and glad they took Lind instead).    Feel we don't have much to worry about.    Yes a Maroon would be nice but those guys don't really exist anymore.   Gads.  He's probably our best bet at this point, makes lives miserable around the net and can bet he will be doing that every shift given the chance.   

Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, IBatch said:

I think the last line has merit.   Gads and Zack could possibly take that on.    

 

Sutter is bean poke,  don't know why Pearson is ever brought up as a guy with size - he's average, same as TT, both were pussy cats playing against Vegas on the walls, BB did a better job.   

 

Podz i hope comes as advertised.   He's our Brady T.    EP has  a slight frame but room to grow into it.   Miller/Horvat is the muscle really.    Podz is the guy i'm most curious about given we haven't seen him play yet.    Zack is ok and Gads has plenty of upside (and glad they took Lind instead).    Feel we don't have much to worry about.    Yes a Maroon would be nice but those guys don't really exist anymore.   Gads.  He's probably our best bet at this point, makes lives miserable around the net and can bet he will be doing that every shift given the chance.   

You are probably right about those type of players in the NHL. The "Pack" mentality should then be paramount and things like what happened to Petey or Boeser should never happen again. 

This team has never been looked at as a team with a lot of tenacity or a team who play with a "pack" mentality so if we can get to be more like that it will be a welcome change. The "Canucks" and "Softies" should not be mentioned in the same sentence again IMO. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I worry about my next day fighting to get my life back after one of the most well planned take downs by a soon to be ex wife that you may ever heard of, if I get to tell it, so no, the size of the forwards doesn’t bother me.  

  • Hydration 1
  • Huggy Bear 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, IBatch said:

Also Gads has potential too... Miller is also built like a brick shi!thouse so yes we have some size upfront.   Every line should do fine.  Pearson is a little light but doesn't mind sticking his nose where it doesn't belong as far as the other goalies crease.    Podz ... really hope he looks like Linden out there too.   NHL as a whole is much smaller then it used to be ... going right back to 1989.   That's where things sit right now.    Our team isn't small.    It's not huge either.  Upper third which is ok by me. 

I didn't add him in just yet - we'll see if he can crack the lineup. I really hope he does. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

I didn't add him in just yet - we'll see if he can crack the lineup. I really hope he does. 

I think Tampa sort of dis-spelled that therory, Jimmy

 

IMO,. if they are lighting fast...pardon the pun, and aggresive, I don't think it matters too much.......guys like Garland and Gallagher put that to rest. You certainly can not have a full team of smurfs, but a couple does not worry me too much, especially if the bigger guys on the team, answer any intimination.....

 

But you certainly have to have a mix, that is for sure.

  • Vintage 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Phat Fingers said:

I worry about my next day fighting to get my life back after one of the most well planned take downs by a soon to be ex wife that you may ever heard of, if I get to tell it, so no, the size of the forwards doesn’t bother me.  

Yikes.  Claim entrapment!

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah I’d like to see one big guy who can play in the lineup. Ritchie was my target but that ship has sailed and I’m glad we didn’t give out that contract. I hope Jim targets someone but more than likely if he does it’s at the trade deadline. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

It just needs to be by committee most nights. We will miss a “healthy” Dorsett / Roussel type who were excellent for the short times they were ready to go.  
 

Legitimate heavyweight guys who can play quality middle 6 - let alone top 6 -minutes just aren’t available or come with a ton of risk (Ferland) or are slow and take a million penalties like Ritchie. 
 

Bo, Miller, Podkolzin, MacEwen could all fight if need be.  Pearson is chippy and Sutter always floats in and grabs a guy.  
 

For being hard to play against, Motte hits like crazy and Garland / Hoglander have crazy compete levels.  

One bright side is that the (much maligned) entire right side of the D are all big bodies who aren’t afraid to mix it up.  Myers doesn’t really fight but he’s a giant and surprisingly physical / chippy.  Then there’s Hamonic, Poolman and Schenn. Schenn might be the only legit mauler but no wimps to be found. 


I think the team will be fine if they gel and start to buy in - any grudge fights can be handled by Mac, Schenn or Gadjovich.  It’s more about them playing with that pack mentality than trotting out a champion to push people around.

  • Hydration 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Alflives said:

I think Podzilla should play with Petey and Bess.  Podzilla will destroy anyone going near Petey!  

If we take the high end of Podzilla and Poolman’s listed heights we’re adding a pair of 6’4 monsters. 

  • Hydration 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, IBatch said:

I think the last line has merit.   Gads and Zack could possibly take that on.    

 

Sutter is bean poke,  don't know why Pearson is ever brought up as a guy with size - he's average, same as TT, both were pussy cats playing against Vegas on the walls, BB did a better job.   

 

Podz i hope comes as advertised.   He's our Brady T.    EP has  a slight frame but room to grow into it.   Miller/Horvat is the muscle really.    Podz is the guy i'm most curious about given we haven't seen him play yet.    Zack is ok and Gads has plenty of upside (and glad they took Lind instead).    Feel we don't have much to worry about.    Yes a Maroon would be nice but those guys don't really exist anymore.   Gads.  He's probably our best bet at this point, makes lives miserable around the net and can bet he will be doing that every shift given the chance.   

He could be a net front presence for sure...

 

jonah.jpg

  • Hydration 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, ilduce39 said:

If we take the high end of Podzilla and Poolman’s listed heights we’re adding a pair of 6’4 monsters. 

Tucker Poolman

Vancouver Canucks / NHL - 21/22

Height

6'4" / 193 cm

Weight

216 lbs / 98 kg

 

Tucker Poolman - Elite Prospects

 

Vasili Podkolzin

a.k.a. "Vasily Podkolzin"

Vancouver Canucks / NHL - 21/22

Height

6'4" / 192 cm

Weight

203 lbs / 92 kg

 

Vasili Podkolzin - Elite Prospects

 

:frantic:

  • Hydration 1
  • Haha 1
  • RoughGame 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, nux_win said:

Yes, I've been worried that we get pushed around too much for several years.  The problem is, and I hate to say it, that it all comes down to officiating.  It tends to be that if we build big strong tough teams, we get all the penalties, and then we get beat on the scoreboard.  If we put together a small skilled team, the refs swallow their whistles, and we get both beat up physically and on the scoreboard.  If we could only get fair refereeing.  I know that's a big ask.  Another issue is that the rules change during the playoffs.  What is a penalty in the regular season clearly isn't in the playoffs so teams need one style of play in order to get into the playoffs and another style of play in order to be successful in the playoffs.  As hockey fans, we're used to this, but really it's a ridiculous state of affairs.  Other contact sports see the value in keeping consistent penalties, why can't the NHL? 

 

Yes, we need more size, toughness, and even meanness in order to have any chance of surviving the playoffs.  It shouldn't have to be that way, but that's the way it is.  We should be able to ice the team we have now and see success, but like I said it all comes down to officiating.  And I don't have much confidence in NHL officiating to be consistent and impartial. 

 

Go Canucks Go!

I can't handle this whiny narrative that the refs are out to get the Canucks. The refs suck, but they suck for everyone. Saying only the Canucks receive unfair officiating, isn't true and comes across as sour grapes. I 100% will agree that some penalties that are called in the regular season, don't get called in the playoffs...but it's the same for every team.

And you need to build a team that is adaptable and well rounded enough to play the game whichever way each game or series dictates. You need speed and skill, but you also need size and toughness. When they say a team is built for the playoffs, that's usually a team that's got great goaltending, special teams and an abundance of size, strength, physicality and toughness to survive the attrition that it takes to win the cup. 

  • Thanks 1
  • Hydration 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Drop Em said:

I can't handle this whiny narrative that the refs are out to get the Canucks. The refs suck, but they suck for everyone. Saying only the Canucks receive unfair officiating, isn't true and comes across as sour grapes. I 100% will agree that some penalties that are called in the regular season, don't get called in the playoffs...but it's the same for every team.

And you need to build a team that is adaptable and well rounded enough to play the game whichever way each game or series dictates. You need speed and skill, but you also need size and toughness. When they say a team is built for the playoffs, that's usually a team that's got great goaltending, special teams and an abundance of size, strength, physicality and toughness to survive the attrition that it takes to win the cup. 

My main issue is that there is no consistency as to what is a penalty.  It clearly changes during the course of a game, the course of a season, and from the regular season to the playoffs.  The league denies this but it is obviously true.  If that's being "whiny" to you, then so be it, I see it as the league being dishonest unable to admit what is obviously true.  Not having consistent rules affects the quality of the game.  I don't think that the league is specifically out to get the Canucks but I do think that they don't respect the game enough, of the real fans enough, to call penalties in a consistent fashion.  The league may think that manipulating the refereeing increases the entertainment value at critical times for people who don't know any better (i.e. game management) but I happen to think that that's an insult to people who already appreciate the game.  Wrestling used to be a real sport before marketing people got a hold of it (pardon the pun).  GCG!

Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, RU SERIOUS said:

...........nothing a few more Swedes on our Roster can't fix !

Your hatred of "Swedes" are getting tiresome, blame your stupid Canadian GMs for picking the skilled ones that actually can score over the knuckledragging northamerican plugs you seem to prefer. Why don`t they draft more Ulf Samuelsson`s you think?, there are plenty of thoose in Sweden too, It`s because there is no shortage of those closer by. You would probably hate on Forsberg too if he was a canuck...because he is Swedish.

Grow up.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, Chris12345 said:

I wouldn't say I am worried but the team lacks size and toughness. It might bite them.

This is how I feel. I do think it's going to be an issue in the playoffs, but right now I'm more worried about the penalty kill. Sutter, Dickenson and Motte are our only good penalty killers. We still need another guy that is good on the penalty kill. We have guys like Bo, Miller and Pearson that can technically do it, but they aren't good at it and it's better for us if we can keep Bo and Miller off of the PK.

 

If we can find a guy that's big/tough and also good on the PK, we can kill two stones with one bird. I know he's already signed, but we need a Trevor Lewis type for our last open spot.

  • Hydration 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...