The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

(Discussion) Flames are a mess.

Rate this topic

11 hours ago, Junkyard Dog said:

I don't think they're as worse off as we believe.

Not currently, no. They may even have a slight bump due to Sutter's defensive systems.

But there is no high-end talent coming. So they will likely continue to meander as a bubble team for a few years, then have to start all over again.

4 hours ago, King Heffy said:

With that defense?  Doubt it.

https://www.capfriendly.com/teams/oilers

That defense looks good to Vancouver.

oops sorry i meant that defense looks good FOR Vancouver...because thats a lotta cap for some pylons, a block of swiss cheese, and a plastic goalie cutout. 

Mcdavid counting down the years....

*edit Flames look almost as tasty

https://www.capfriendly.com/teams/flames

Edited by MystifyNCrucify

On 8/3/2021 at 12:44 AM, Junkyard Dog said:

I don't think they're as worse off as we believe.

EDM isn't.   As long as both McDavid and Drasaitl stay healthy.   Not sure we will do better then them.   NHL.com had them listed as one of the six most improved teams despite losing Larson.   Locked in Barrie to a team friendly deal that's for sure (and if anyone says his D is garbage ... well just go look at his stats on EDM last year ... PP is important in winning games too... if we could sign QHs to that price we'd all be over the moon, plus he's a RHD, plus he's built like a fire hydrant despite only 5'10").   Keith was a head scratcher.   But he's Duncan Keith, still the last guy to get winded in a 5 period OT marathon, the new Chelios in that regard.   Wouldn't sleep on them... Hyman is a very good all around player.   Too much too long, but shouldn't hurt them for several years either.    This is the peak McDavid team, it won't be a contender, but it will be pretty good too. 

Edmonton really needed to upgrade their goaltending.  They will be more balanced deeper offensive attack.  They will probably be top 3-4 offense in the league but will have to outscore their opponents.  Which they probably will most nights.  Playoffs though... Defence wins championships, so 2nd round exit.

Calgary won't be as bad as many are predicting.  I hate that team but with Marky in net and a down year for a lot of the players on that team (just like the nucks) they may surprise especially early in the season but I think they will struggle through rhe second half and either squeak into 8th or just outside.  I have LA as the dark horse to overtake Calgary and steal the last playoff spot.

57 minutes ago, Hogs & Podz said:

Edmonton really needed to upgrade their goaltending.  They will be more balanced deeper offensive attack.  They will probably be top 3-4 offense in the league but will have to outscore their opponents.  Which they probably will most nights.  Playoffs though... Defence wins championships, so 2nd round exit.

Calgary won't be as bad as many are predicting.  I hate that team but with Marky in net and a down year for a lot of the players on that team (just like the nucks) they may surprise especially early in the season but I think they will struggle through rhe second half and either squeak into 8th or just outside.  I have LA as the dark horse to overtake Calgary and steal the last playoff spot.

Calgary traded their captain and still has a locker room cancer in Tkachuk.  They'll be really bad.

• Vintage 1

The worst feeling for fans and the organization is that you reached your peak/ceiling couple of years ago and all that you are doing now is trying to recapture that previous glory. 

Calgary may have a good regular season  this year but its core is hopeless. No one believes in their core. Vancouver and Edmonton have core players that organization and fans can believe it. 

On 7/31/2021 at 9:55 AM, King Heffy said:

Those players had just pushed Vegas to a Game 7.  Not every thread is an opening to whine about Benning.

As for the OP, they're screwed.  They still have Monahan and Gaudreau who refuse to backcheck, they lost their captain, and they still have a locker room cancer who cheapshots opponents and cries like a baby when his teammates tell him to play like a man.

Amazing how the anti-Benning crowd tries to do whatever they can to convince themselves that our 2nd round appearance in 2020 didn’t actually happen.  Go to HF Canucks to see what I’m talking about.  

“If it wasn’t for Judd Bracket, Markstrom, Judd Bracket, Tanev, our power play, Covid stoppage, our 9-3 streak to start the season, an out of this world January, a depleted Minnesota team, a disinterested St.Louis team, and Judd Brackett, speculation is fairly certain that the Canucks wouldn’t have made the playoffs” - Tantalum, MS, Y2KCanucks, et al.,   Oh, and Benning wanted Glass over Pettersson.

Edited by Patel Bure
  • Cheers 2
  • Haha 2

On 8/9/2021 at 1:20 PM, King Heffy said:

Calgary traded their captain and still has a locker room cancer in Tkachuk.  They'll be really bad.

I soooo hope you're right.  I hate the fLames more than any other but I don't want to get my hopes up lol!

I've been a fLames hater ever since they beat us in 2004.... Yet I was a Iggy and Kipper fan.  Now.... It's just not the franchise I despise, I can't stand the core players either... Which makes me sooo happy because they deserve all the hardship coming their way.

2 minutes ago, Hogs & Podz said:

I soooo hope you're right.  I hate the fLames more than any other but I don't want to get my hopes up lol!

I've been a fLames hater ever since they beat us in 2004.... Yet I was a Iggy and Kipper fan.  Now.... It's just not the franchise I despise, I can't stand the core players either... Which makes me sooo happy because they deserve all the hardship coming their way.

I'd root for them to do so poorly they move away, but then they might get an expansion team, finally giving Cahlgary an NHL franchise.

On 7/31/2021 at 9:47 AM, Jimmy McGill said:

Its nice to contemplate, isn't it? 

Tanev's pairing is really going to get leaned on heavily. If he goes down, they're toasted. 

Came here just to say that. Love Tanev but he looked meh the last 15 games and even if he stays healthy I just wonder how effective he can be.

The thing with him is what makes him good is playing that reckless style that takes it's toll over a long season and now he's the teams #1 and a lot of the same people that think Benning screwed up are the same ones who blamed Benning for him being our #1.

Unless the flames have a rover that can direct most of the attention and tilt the ice, he's gonna get exposed like he did here during the really dark times. Excellent #3-4 tho and a great pker

Sutter might be the worst coach for his health cuz Tanevs the kind of guy he loves and might run him into the ground.

• Vintage 1

6 hours ago, Alienhuggyflow said:

Came here just to say that. Love Tanev but he looked meh the last 15 games and even if he stays healthy I just wonder how effective he can be.

The thing with him is what makes him good is playing that reckless style that takes it's toll over a long season and now he's the teams #1 and a lot of the same people that think Benning screwed up are the same ones who blamed Benning for him being our #1.

Unless the flames have a rover that can direct most of the attention and tilt the ice, he's gonna get exposed like he did here during the really dark times. Excellent #3-4 tho and a great pker

Sutter might be the worst coach for his health cuz Tanevs the kind of guy he loves and might run him into the ground.

Whatever happens to us this season, its always fun for me to watch an Alberta team poop the bed. 

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, Jimmy McGill said:

Whatever happens to us this season, its always fun for me to watch an Alberta team poop the bed. 

Meant to mention... that's the worst part about the Battlr of Alberta. 

One of those idiot teams has to win

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 1

I’m so glad I decided to read this thread because I thought I was losing my mind. Calgary lost Gio, and continues to count on Monaghan, Goureau, and Tchapuke to lead the offence. On the back end they have Markstrom and Tanev...this won’t likely go well for them. If (highly likely) Tanev gets injured they have one option.  That option is to hope that Marky can steal a bunch of games for them. 
Edmonton lost Larsson and signed Kieth. I know he is in great shape and can still play but this is not the same guy that carried the Blackhawks to multiple cups. They have a giant over inflated contract to Darnell Nurse and appear to have decided that goaltender is not a position that needs to be filled. 
Our Canucks have some real question marks (like is OEL a first pairing defenceman or a new anchor contract) but at least we have reason for some optimism. I genuinely don’t see how either Alberta team goes anywhere this year but all the “analysts” seem to think they are locks for the playoffs. Hoping I’m not just a rose glasses homer but I think we are better than both of them this year and by more than a little.