The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

(Discussion) Flames are a mess.

Rate this topic

1 hour ago, McBackup said:

Why people attribute any authority to him in the first place is beyond me.

I think because he's fairly objective, he doesn't seem to play favourites and does know a lot about the league. I think he's off on his predictions too but I don't feel like he's doing it out of some sort of bias, just calling it like he see's the talent. 

13 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

I think because he's fairly objective, he doesn't seem to play favourites and does know a lot about the league. I think he's off on his predictions too but I don't feel like he's doing it out of some sort of bias, just calling it like he see's the talent. 

I've been his subscriber since 2017. He is VERY biased when it comes to Vancouver Canucks. He feels that he is entitled to act this way because he had PTSD from following the Canucks for decades. He is not very objective when it comes to praising other teams. He overlooks their weaknesses and tells you that all things may work out perfectly for other teams. 

He is by far the most knowledgeable and RELATIVELY speaking objective hockey YouTuber. He is still very subjective in his analysis. 

2 hours ago, McBackup said:

Just like any other topics in life, most people want a simple answer told to them by some guy on YouTube so they don't actually have to do any work to figure the truth. 

Edited by Maddogy

16 minutes ago, Maddogy said:

I've been his subscriber since 2017. He is VERY biased when it comes to Vancouver Canucks. He feels that he is entitled to act this way because he had PTSD from following the Canucks for decades. He is not very objective when it comes to praising other teams. He overlooks their weaknesses and tells you that all things may work out perfectly for other teams. 

He is by far the most knowledgeable and RELATIVELY speaking objective hockey YouTuber. He is still very subjective in his analysis. 

fair enough. I like him just for the pure info I get about players, signings, etc. and some of the in-depth videos on player history are neat to see. 

8 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

fair enough. I like him just for the pure info I get about players, signings, etc. and some of the in-depth videos on player history are neat to see. 

He is very good for post game debriefs since he takes lots of notes during games. 

His analysis of rosters and rankings have biases. Take a giant grain of salt for these. 

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, Maddogy said:

He is very good for post game debriefs since he takes lots of notes during games. 

His analysis of rosters and rankings have biases. Take a giant grain of salt for these. 

I mean, I am on CDC :lol:

• Haha 2

33 minutes ago, Maddogy said:

Just like any other topics in life, most people want a simple answer told to them by some guy on YouTube so they don't actually have to do any work to figure the truth. 

I agree, but usually when they find a pundit to listen to he actually has some experience in the game in some capacity.

The Hockey Guy is just some fan like any of us, which would be fine (minus his attitude) But people treat him as some kind of expert even though I don't think he can even skate. 

12 minutes ago, McBackup said:

I agree, but usually when they find a pundit to listen to he actually has some experience in the game in some capacity.

The Hockey Guy is just some fan like any of us, which would be fine (minus his attitude) But people treat him as some kind of expert even though I don't think he can even skate. 

The problem is that experts are wrong all the time. For instance, TSN and Sportsnet analysts are wrong all the time. Each year, qualified G.M.'s and coaches are fired. Scouting staff pick the wrong players. Most experts are by definition average with regard to what they do. Only a small percentage of the experts get it right on a consistent basis. 

9 minutes ago, Maddogy said:

The problem is that experts are wrong all the time. For instance, TSN and Sportsnet analysts are wrong all the time. Each year, qualified G.M.'s and coaches are fired. Scouting staff pick the wrong players. Most experts are by definition average with regard to what they do. Only a small percentage of the experts get it right on a consistent basis. 

Yes. And they're still more authoritative than an out of shape guy with no experience who reads numbers off a whiteboard and throws a hissyfit when called out for getting something wrong.

I don't have a problem with people watching THG. I have an issue when they treat his opinion as worth anything more than any poster here.

37 minutes ago, McBackup said:

Yes. And they're still more authoritative than an out of shape guy with no experience who reads numbers off a whiteboard and throws a hissyfit when called out for getting something wrong.

I don't have a problem with people watching THG. I have an issue when they treat his opinion as worth anything more than any poster here.

As a loyal subscriber I have to say that Shannon discounts the randomness of NHL hockey. In hockey many outcomes are unlikely but possible. Cinderella teams go to the finals. After decades of futility a team finally wins their first Cup when very few people believed in them. Young players take the next step when no one expected it. G.M.'s trade away 1st round picks at trade deadline and it actually works out for them in the playoffs. Players' and teams' shooting percentages skyrocket for a stretch of games ...etc. 

I like dunking on the Flames as much as anybody, but I don't see them being out of the playoff mix in the Western Conference.Their lineup from top to bottom is fairly well balanced, (if everybody can stay healthy). Having Sutter as the coach from training camp will make a difference.

The only poor situation for the Flames, is their long term outlook. Its a core that has proven time and again that it will never be a SC contender.

Eternally, middle of the pack.

19 minutes ago, Honky Cat said:

I like dunking on the Flames as much as anybody, but I don't see them being out of the playoff mix in the Western Conference.Their lineup from top to bottom is fairly well balanced, (if everybody can stay healthy). Having Sutter as the coach from training camp will make a difference.

The only poor situation for the Flames, is their long term outlook. Its a core that has proven time and again that it will never be a SC contender.

Eternally, middle of the pack.

I don't understand why their core players lost steam so quickly from 2 years ago. Is it physical or mental? Bad coaching? I could not figure this out from any source. 

5 hours ago, McBackup said:

Yeah he basically watches all the highlights and quickly writes down recaps. 

I like his channel but wouldn't call him an authority on anything. 

2 hours ago, Maddogy said:

I don't understand why their core players lost steam so quickly from 2 years ago. Is it physical or mental? Bad coaching? I could not figure this out from any source. 

My understanding from Calgary fans is that they aren't too enamored with the character/work ethic of their core. Essentially the opposite problem of Pettersson "wanting to win".