The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Evander Kane accused of betting on Sharks games

Rate this topic

I thought about this as a possibility a few years ago in sports. Like really with how much money is being gambled out there, what's really stopping a team from throwing a game to make some extra money? Like if the pay out is that big and a team says hey we can handle a loss for a game, what's really stopping them from doing it? Like their getting paid good money already and losing a game isn't going to make them lose money they get paid no matter what, but if they can lose a game that has a good pay out what's really stopping them? 

• Vintage 1
  • RoughGame 2

1 minute ago, ChuckNORRIS4Cup said:

I thought about this as a possibility a few years ago in sports. Like really with how much money is being gambled out there, what's really stopping a team from throwing a game to make some extra money? Like if the pay out is that big and a team says hey we can handle a loss for a game, what's really stopping them from doing it? Like their getting paid good money already and losing a game isn't going to make them lose money they get paid no matter what, but if they can lose a game that has a good pay out what's really stopping them? 

It's nothing new. Basketball is NOTORIOUS for gambling. They specifically have numerous ref scandals involving them betting in games that they can control. We just haven't discovered it yet in hockey.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1
  • RoughGame 1

47 minutes ago, sonoman said:

And some still want this azzhat on the Canucks.   

I remember before San Jose signed him so many people on this board wanted him, I always felt he was a cancer in the locker room especially hearing the stories from Winnipeg, then the stories continued in Buffalo hence why I never wanted him, many people were convinced here he had grown up and he wasn't the same person as he was in the past, I didn't agree with that because of the stories out of Buffalo still, just glad he never came to Vancouver. 

• Cheers 3

4 minutes ago, Dazzle said:

It's nothing new. Basketball is NOTORIOUS for gambling. They specifically have numerous ref scandals involving them betting in games that they can control. We just haven't discovered it yet in hockey.

I don't even know if it is a thing or not, but the thought of it being a possibility definitely lingers in the back of my mind sometimes, especially when you see some of the payouts that can happen when a team who's supposed to easily beat a certain team just doesn't for some reason.... I tend to think outside the box sometimes and keep an open mind on all possibilities, and this one definitely has been something I've thought about the last couple years.

• Cheers 2

There’s some hockey players that I watch that are just rats and I hate the way they play, but a tiny part of me knows that they’re doing whatever takes to make their team and play their role to support their loved ones at home. Also I’m sure they’re decent humans off the ice who do their part to help the local communities. But Evander Kane just comes off as a garbage human being.

• Cheers 3

2 minutes ago, Rubik said:

i mean the relationship part. gambling is not their only problem, i think that's clear as day.

Yeah but how is it her fault, if true sounds like he just wants to party instead of supporting his family? Sounds like his actions are ruining his family relationship not her choices.

• Cheers 2

Just thinking, how much does the NHL invest in education and training of new (and current) players in terms of various potential addictions. Perhaps it is not enough and maybe that should be a foundation part of the collective bargaining agreement. This may be a chance for the league to show some real leadership in an area that I guess may have been a reality for many years.

• Cheers 2

Poor wife and kids. If this is true, and I doubt there's much reason to think it's not, I can imagine heavy fines at the very least towards him.

I truly hope Kane gets his life together because his wife isn't gonna have infinite patience and when a man loses his money, job, wife, and kids, it can definitely get pretty grim. Hope he wakes up before it comes to that.

• Like 1

I am no Kane fan but innocent until proven guilty folks. I find in today's social media world where people love to pile on controversy and drama, any accusation automatically means guilt. We have no idea if his wife has a grudge against him and wants to create more chaos in his life, etc. People lie all the time and make false accusations all the time. As someone who's studied law, It's good practice in your life in general, across all issues, to never make your mind up on an initial information, assess all facts then decide. When you make assumptions on limited information and others 'opinions' on the same limited information, you simply are trying to be part of the 'gang' not being an intelligent and objective observer.

Do I think Kane is a bit of a goof, yes, but that opinion is based on his public persona, I don't know him, that also has no bearing on him trying to throw games and tbh, he's not a goalie, its not even like he has much of an impact, unless he's firing pucks into his own net, which clearly he isnt.

On top of that, if you look at his stats, he certainly has been putting up very strong numbers for a number of years and played with some fire. Some simple research makes me see these accusations as suspect.

Edited by Podz19
  • Cheers 2