The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Heartwarming moment of two athletes sharing gold

Dazzle

10 minutes ago, Dazzle said:

Found this here today on CBC's Olympic twitter.

An incredible moment where Qatar's Mutaz Essa Barshim asks the official if he and Italy's Gianmarco Tamberi can share the gold medal in men's high jump

---

You can absolutely feel the love and respect from these two athletes, regardless of their origins. Absolutely inspirational. 

"History, my friend."

Spirit of sportmanship at it's ultimate best...moments like this is when sports unite people.  Thanks for sharing @Dazzle.

• Like 3
  • Cheers 1

37 minutes ago, AV's Coin said:

Very cool. I could be wrong but all they did was guarantee themselves a gold rather than having a jump off?

Of course this is a possibility, but given the fact that the athletes were actually hugging each other BEFORE the official came over, one can infer that the Olympians actually respected each other for getting to THAT POINT.

Then Barshim decided to just share the gold.

• Like 1
  • Vintage 1

23 minutes ago, Dazzle said:

Of course this is a possibility, but given the fact that the athletes were actually hugging each other BEFORE the official came over, one can infer that the Olympians actually respected each other for getting to THAT POINT.

Then Barshim decided to just share the gold.

The third place Belarusian missed his last jump and the female commentator I was watching already said we have dual gold medalists (The Italian and Qatari). Then she corrected herself and said the Italian had one more jump. The male commentator said the pressure was off the Italian as he has already won gold - just that he could be greedy and try to win it himself.

The Italian just missed his last jump so it was tied for Gold so he went over and hugged the Qatari. The commentator at that moment said we have dual Olympic champions and was checking if that had ever happened before.

The official came over to the two athletes and they started to discuss if a jump off was required and the commentators picked up on that. The way I understand it is that both athletes had to agree to a tie for Gold rather than a jump off.

They showed good sportsmanship and respect and they guaranteed themselves a Gold. Easy choice really.

VERY COOL!

• Cheers 1