The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

(Prediction) Under Brad Shaw Poolman will be better than Tanev

Rate this topic

Arrow 1983

1 hour ago, MikeyD said:

I don't think many people truly understand how good defensively Tanev was for us. 

Sadly one of the most underrated players in franchise history. The guy was elite defensively. Do you understand how hard this is to find at the NHL level? 

In Calgary they called him their best D this year.

That is the over the hill version of Tanev…

I wouldn't go that far as saying he'll be better than Tanev. Poolman's getting a great opportunity to elevate his game and establish himself. Where that leads remains to be seen. I do think Shaw's impact on our D will be transformative and positive on our entire D and Poolman. 

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

Poolman had to recover from shoulder surgery before he could get into the NHL regularly.  I think he played it safe for a while and that made him play a better positional game. That has also helped him play a cleaner game avoiding penalties.  He has good reach, so he covers a wider area than Tanev.  I think Poolman's going start getting more assists because of his line mates. Should be interesting.

They're going to have different partners, so it would be hard to make a direct comparison.

I don't know much about shaw's background but he is being touted like he's one of the biggest factors in improvement this season. 

What has he done previously to get this kind of recognition? 

Also interesting to see how Shaw and Baumer will work together. I don't see baumer being redundant but more of a supplemental coach to aiding our defense to help them understand what Shaw wants them to do... 

3 minutes ago, CanucksJay said:

I don't know much about shaw's background but he is being touted like he's one of the biggest factors in improvement this season. 

What has he done previously to get this kind of recognition? 

Also interesting to see how Shaw and Baumer will work together. I don't see baumer being redundant but more of a supplemental coach to aiding our defense to help them understand what Shaw wants them to do... 

Shaw’s defenses and penalty killing units are typically in the upper half of the league, and most recently he ran Columbus’ defense that swept the 62-win Lightning a couple of years ago. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, eeeeergh said:

Yes, you're absolutely correct. he averaged 2 PK minutes per game for the Jets last year, and was paired with an absolute dumpster fire defensively (Josh Morrissey). Poolman carried that pair defensively - pretty clearly shown in Morrissey's CF% with and without Poolman. 

People rag on OEL too but he's extremely competent defensively. He played shutdown minutes & main PK responsibilities. OEL is a massive upgrade over Schmidt. Poolman is a better skater and can do as much if not more than Edler did for us on the PK, and Hamonic can do exactly what he did for us last year. 

OEL, Poolman, Hamonic is a MASSIVE improvement over Edler, Schmidt, Hamonic. 

Cant believe we got all of that + Garland + a 3rd rounder + salary retained on OEL + dumped all our bad contracts basically for Dylan Guenther lmao. Honestly think this has to be one of the most incredible offseasons in Canucks history.

Watched a lot of the Jets this season and he really did carry Morissey quite a bit at times.

From what I read on the Athletic Shaw singled out Poolman and apparently sees him being paired with OEL.

Was surprised that 10 teams were in on him but then again he's a GMs type, big, fast and moves the puck well.

Not sure how anyone can complain about the cost or term considering the minutes he's going to get and the fact if at some point he's not a fit that's an easy cap hit to trade, or bury.

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 2

1 hour ago, Pears said:

Not sure if this has already been posted or not but this is a really good, well done read on just what to expect from Poolman.

Yup advance stats clearly show he is a defensive defenseman.

It is just to bad that Tanav in his prime will never play with someone as bad as Morrissey to show us a direct comparable. So the best we can get is for Poolman to plan with someone Tanev did (Hughes) or someone similar to who Tanev did (OEL=Edler) play with. Therefore, as I see it if Poolman plays better with one of Hughes or OEL as Tanev did with Hughes or Edler we have a direct comparable. Hence my prediction can be mathematically proven either true or false.

5 minutes ago, Arrow 1983 said:

Yup advance stats clearly show he is a defensive defenseman.

It is just to bad that Tanav in his prime will never play with someone as bad as Morrissey to show us a direct comparable. So the best we can get is for Poolman to plan with someone Tanev did (Hughes) or someone similar to who Tanev did (OEL=Edler) play with. Therefore, as I see it if Poolman plays better with one of Hughes or OEL as Tanev did with Hughes or Edler we have a direct comparable. Hence my prediction can be mathematically proven either true or false.

That seems to entirely get rid of the "under Brad Shaw" factor, so I don't know what happens to the math now.?

1 hour ago, Pears said:

Not sure if this has already been posted or not but this is a really good, well done read on just what to expect from Poolman.

Great read for those that don't understand advance stats clearly. Most on this forum should give it a read

3 minutes ago, gurn said:

That seems to entirely get rid of the "under Brad Shaw" factor, so I don't know what happens to the math now.?

Nope Brad Shaw is just going to make him better than he is. Mathematically that part can't be tracked maybe year by year improvement. Brad Shaw experience and back ground in producing good Defensive teams is undeniable as pointed out by others. 

That is not just going to rub off on Poolman but the whole group. As the group gets better Poolman will improve even more. It is a team sport after all

20 minutes ago, gurn said:

See interesting I found is that people who don't understand advance stats hate it. It keeps them out of the loop and they say it doesn't matter.

To a math guy the say it is the most important thing in the world.

To a guy like myself who played in the WHL and university and understands this stuff they say it has a place to play just as a great defensive couch has a place to play in the game. Advance stats tell you the mentality of an individual his he risk prone like Hughes or low risk like Tanev and everything in between. To me Poolman has the stats  that say he has the mentality to be lower risk and still produce offense that is what I would call a more balanced player and there for the ability to be better than Tanev who is one dimensional. Poolman will play the defensive game give you some points and even a little grit. For me it is the other things Poolman does that will make him a better player. 

I appreciate the optimism. I certainly have my doubts, but in leaning about some of Poolman's strengths, weaknesses, deep stats, etc etc etc..., I could see him being a decent fit with Hughes on the second pairing. Hughes won't get hard first pairing matchup minutes, so Poolman wouldn't have to either, and having a steady blueliner that can skate alongside Hughes could help insulate Hughes while he goes off one of his excellent adventures with the puck.

2 minutes ago, ba;;isticsports said:

(Prediction) Under Brad Shaw Poolman will be better than Tanev

Why is Shaw on top of Poolman, and what will he be better at than Tanev?

Fair quote o think we need to let go of players and they more so in terms of how well will the defence function together.  Also will our offense produce at a higher rate or dominate the puck more with some of the additions to the lineup.

12 hours ago, Arrow 1983 said:

That's right I am predicting Tucker Poolman will be better than Tanev. He will bring the same defensive game as Tanev but bring more grit and offensive side than Tanev ever did. I predict That Poolman will play in the top 4 as a partner either with Hughes or OEL with Myers on the third pairing with Rathbone.

I make this predicting because I simply ask myself who is going to be the defensemen on the PK.

Hughes, no.

Myers, no

OEL and Poolman yes

Rathbone and Hamonic yes

Poolman will have to play top PK mins and this will make him better defensively. I fully expect that Shaw will be running the PK and in extension the defense. This signing screams Shaw all over it. Poolman is a player who will give a team everything because it took everything from him to get here and under the guidance of Shaw he will even become better. If Ian Clark is the top goalie coach I would call Shaw a top 3 defensive coach. Poolman will be our next Burrows but just on defense. The guy making 2.5 mill who deserves 5 mill.

JM cannot make this trade before Shaw say yes