The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

(Prediction) Under Brad Shaw Poolman will be better than Tanev

Rate this topic

Arrow 1983

4 hours ago, Phat Fingers said:

What I cannot figure out is that we had Benn for two seasons at 2m and everyone was happy.  

Poolman, much younger, and a RHD at 2.5 for 4 years.  

He is the is there for the rougher minutes and to backstop one of these hotshot LHD we have.  

the premium is because his a RHD d man that shoots right handed.  

what’s the fuss about from these whack mole talking heads about his deal.  slow summer… talk about something else.  The Media is a joke.

JB spends wisely (as one can in FA) and has about 20 m (Ferland LTIR) and 4 players left to sign.  

one can be offersheeted. 

other deals or salary can be shed.  

the team is not losing Petey.  Or Hughes.  

next years cap… that’s next years problem.  

Other players leave others come in.  

That's a good point. I was not a fan of Benn but if we gave him 2m, Poolman's 2.5 looks like money better spent. 

I honestly don't know much about Poolman but someone posted a link to his analytics here when paired with Morrissey and it looks like he was the defensive stalwart of the pair. 

I find that some people here (including myself at times) follow the herd when we don't know much about a player. 

Instead of getting to know the player, we regurgitate what we hear and the situation perpetuates and grow larger where unknown player becomes a crappy signing 

• Vintage 1

19 hours ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

Big call but to be honest, Tanev is going to tire sooner or later and younger blood like Poolman is what this team needs to rely on. I think he'd be the perfect partner for Ekman-Larsson really, a completely new, fresh top pairing for us out of nowhere.

Edler-Tanev served us well for years, now it's time to move on and this is the best way. Poolman played some big minutes for Winnipeg and really flew under the radar but was brilliant on their PK.

I think we go with something like this:

OEL (23 mins) - Poolman (21 mins)

Hughes (21 mins) - Hamonic (19 mins)

Rathbone/Juolevi (15 mins) - Myers (21 mins)

Schenn

PK will be interesting because all of our shutdown guys are righties, but I'm sure they can move about. Poolman, Hamonic, Myers, OEL and Juolevi will share PK time in that order most likely.

Purely defensively (eg. stick work, positioning), Tanev has the advantage but Poolman does bring some physicality to his game that Tanev is lacking.

Great post I agree Poolman will be solid stay at home D man log 19 -- 21 mins

Hughes will be logging 21--23 mins and will have  good year..

OEL- Now in a better organization  and happy you will see a much better player - 20 --23 mins

Myers 6'7 -215 lbs -- solid guy, # 3 D man I like his game 20--22 mins

Rathbone will be a # 4  D man b Xmas ..

Hamonic --19--22 mins will be solid with Hughes...

Bowey 6'2, 210 lbs -- Could be #6 for sure #7 -- 14 --16 mins, great wheels  RD also

Juolevi 6'3,195 lbs  has to have a good start 14 -16 mins  -- 

1 hour ago, CanucksJay said:

That's a good point. I was not a fan of Benn but if we gave him 2m, Poolman's 2.5 looks like money better spent. 

I honestly don't know much about Poolman but someone posted a link to his analytics here when paired with Morrissey and it looks like he was the defensive stalwart of the pair. 

I find that some people here (including myself at times) follow the herd when we don't know much about a player. 

Instead of getting to know the player, we regurgitate what we hear and the situation perpetuates and grow larger where unknown player becomes a crappy signing 

please, use this new found self awareness to STOP doing that. 

• Haha 3

12 hours ago, Pears said:

Not sure if this has already been posted or not but this is a really good, well done read on just what to expect from Poolman.

posted over in the Tucker thread, but its really interesting that Evolving Hockey had his salary expected at 2.4 aav for 4 years. I don't have a subscription but I'd like to know how they got to that number, given how close we were to that. 

• Cheers 1

Can someone explain to me this attitude that CDC has regarding Brad Shaw?  Did the Canucks not outright say that Nolan Baumgartner is the defense coach?  I fully understand that Shaw brings a ton of experience and will be able to give input.  It seems like fans think that Shaw is straight up running the defense and Baumgartner is just penciled in on paper.

I'm not giving an opinion on the quality of either coach.  Simply curious how you all think the team is going to run functionally.  (Thought I would get that in there before someone jumps down my throat about how awful they think Baumgartner is lol)

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

11 hours ago, Alienhuggyflow said:

Watched a lot of the Jets this season and he really did carry Morissey quite a bit at times.

From what I read on the Athletic Shaw singled out Poolman and apparently sees him being paired with OEL.

Was surprised that 10 teams were in on him but then again he's a GMs type, big, fast and moves the puck well.

Not sure how anyone can complain about the cost or term considering the minutes he's going to get and the fact if at some point he's not a fit that's an easy cap hit to trade, or bury.

I think the problem is most complaining are Canuck fans (one team only ), and not actual hockey fans. They only know about the players that face Van and even then they pay little attention to the low key players on those teams. I work with many people like this. The true hockey fan finds the time to watch as many game as possible not just one team. You can tell on here, because how many posted "never heard of him" (he most be terrible). The same as with Garland many here where not quit sure who he was or if had any upside. Then they go to advance stats and say they know the player and he is no good according to the stats. 

5 minutes ago, Baratheon said:

Can someone explain to me this attitude that CDC has regarding Brad Shaw?  Did the Canucks not outright say that Nolan Baumgartner is the defense coach?  I fully understand that Shaw brings a ton of experience and will be able to give input.  It seems like fans think that Shaw is straight up running the defense and Baumgartner is just penciled in on paper.

I'm not giving an opinion on the quality of either coach.  Simply curious how you all think the team is going to run functionally.  (Thought I would get that in there before someone jumps down my throat about how awful they think Baumgartner is lol)

Good point.   As far as I can tell Shaw was a complete unknown to 99.9% of CDC'ers until the time of his hiring here.  When he was hired there were a few media articles outlining his work with previous teams that seem to indicate he had a role in the development of some pretty notable young defenceman (which nobody to my knowledge disputes).  Since these articles came out there has been no shortage of posts heralding Shaw as a defensive guru who will single handedly turn our defensive structure into a dominant force. I'm optimistic as I'd like our club to be better but let's face it, when you're not good in any one area you only have one direction to go.  I found it odd that they hired Shaw but kept Bomber on the coaching staff and also wonder exactly how the day to day mechanicals of coaching practices and game days (including behind the bench during games) will actually operate and what the dynamic b/t the various coaches would be like?

• Thanks 1

This reminds me a lot of the Brandon Tanev contract…. Obviously not as heavy, but paying too much term for an asset that is not part of your core will almost always come back to bite you in the ass.

That being said, I’m actually quite fond of Tucker Poolmans game and do believe he’ll be on the ice opening night. 

Not a whole Lotta puck skills to like in any of Hamonic, Poolman, or Schenn….  But really happy they can all display some size and edginess.  Someone to clear the net on every shift (Myers too) should allow cleaner sight lanes for Demko and Halak, whom likely end up being our most important players when it comes to finding Ws.  Pretty confident there too. 

Edited by 70seven
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, 70seven said:

This reminds me a lot of the Brandon Tanev contract…. Obviously not as heavy, but paying too much term for an asset that is not part of your core will almost always come back to bite you in the ass

I think they are rolling the dice that Poolman becomes part of the core, (top 4) likely replacing Hamonic.  There doesn't look to be too much available in free agency next year if you want to upgrade the D that way.  

The fact that he shoots right should theoretically make it less risky as well.  Right shots can be moved!  Even if you're Erik Gudbranson!

4 minutes ago, 70seven said:

Shaw is here to help EVERYONE with defensive X/Os strategy.  He’s going to tidy up the little things very nicely.  Green and Baumer will still dictate in game deployment. 

If this is the case, do you think it will have an affect on his ability to coach the forwards and power play?  Officially that is what he is supposed to be doing.  If he's doing a bit of everything then it sounds like he's pretty close to being the head coach.

21 hours ago, Arrow 1983 said:

That's right I am predicting Tucker Poolman will be better than Tanev. He will bring the same defensive game as Tanev but bring more grit and offensive side than Tanev ever did. I predict That Poolman will play in the top 4 as a partner either with Hughes or OEL with Myers on the third pairing with Rathbone.

I make this predicting because I simply ask myself who is going to be the defensemen on the PK.

Hughes, no.

Myers, no

OEL and Poolman yes

Rathbone and Hamonic yes

Poolman will have to play top PK mins and this will make him better defensively. I fully expect that Shaw will be running the PK and in extension the defense. This signing screams Shaw all over it. Poolman is a player who will give a team everything because it took everything from him to get here and under the guidance of Shaw he will even become better. If Ian Clark is the top goalie coach I would call Shaw a top 3 defensive coach. Poolman will be our next Burrows but just on defense. The guy making 2.5 mill who deserves 5 mill.

U sound like Jonah Hill in Moneyball!

• Haha 1

21 hours ago, Arrow 1983 said:

That's right I am predicting Tucker Poolman will be better than Tanev. He will bring the same defensive game as Tanev but bring more grit and offensive side than Tanev ever did. I predict That Poolman will play in the top 4 as a partner either with Hughes or OEL with Myers on the third pairing with Rathbone.

I make this predicting because I simply ask myself who is going to be the defensemen on the PK.

Hughes, no.

Myers, no

OEL and Poolman yes

Rathbone and Hamonic yes

Poolman will have to play top PK mins and this will make him better defensively. I fully expect that Shaw will be running the PK and in extension the defense. This signing screams Shaw all over it. Poolman is a player who will give a team everything because it took everything from him to get here and under the guidance of Shaw he will even become better. If Ian Clark is the top goalie coach I would call Shaw a top 3 defensive coach. Poolman will be our next Burrows but just on defense. The guy making 2.5 mill who deserves 5 mill.

Sure.  Last year it was Edler and Myers with almost identical 1st unit PK time.    This is probably the most ridiculous Arrow thread yet.   And there have been some doozies.   Might as well say Benn was going to replace Tanev when he came in (a much more proven D too)...but nobody did. 

48 minutes ago, Baratheon said:

I think they are rolling the dice that Poolman becomes part of the core, (top 4) likely replacing Hamonic.  There doesn't look to be too much available in free agency next year if you want to upgrade the D that way.  

The fact that he shoots right should theoretically make it less risky as well.  Right shots can be moved!  Even if you're Erik Gudbranson!

That’s true.  RHD have been the hottest commodity for years.  I shoot right… but play the left side unfortunately lmao

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Baratheon said:

I'll try...... Shaw is the white knight and Baumer is the scapegoat :rolleyes:

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Baratheon said:

Based on years of experience and past accomplishments, Shaw has more years of coaching experience than both Green & Baumer combined; and it seems Baumer is only the defensive coach on paper (?) - REALLYnot sure how these two will make it work.  I guess, we will just have to wait & see with the on ice product on who is dictating the defensive system cause the situation seems like - the student is teaching the teacher based on the job title/description.

The Baumer re signing was a head scratcher but I am assuming, that Green requested that the Canucks give Baumer another chance cause given his coaching record with the Canucks - it probably would be REALLY HARD for him to find a very similar coaching position somewhere else.  Imo, the Shaw addition seems to be a moved to ALSO help Baumer gain some lustre into his (abysmal) coaching record.

Edited by ShawnAntoski
  • Cheers 1

57 minutes ago, ShawnAntoski said:

Based on years of experience and past accomplishments, Shaw has more years of coaching experience than both Green & Baumer combined; and it seems Baumer is only the defensive coach paper (?) - REALLYnot sure how these two will make it work.  I guess, we will just have to wait & see with the on ice product on who is dictating the defence system cause the situation seems like - the student is teaching the teacher based on the job title/description.

The Baumer re signing was a head scratcher but I am assuming, that Green requested that the Canucks give Baumer another chance cause given coaching record with the Canucks - it probably would be really hard for him to find a very similar coaching position somewhere else.  Imo, the Shaw addition seems to be a moved to also help Baumer gain some lustre into his (abysmal) coaching record.

Fair enough!  So then I would wonder how that affects his ability to coach the forwards and power play.  Do factors like the practice schedule allow Shaw to do both?  Also if he's doing a bit of everything does that make him a sort of backup if they decide to move on from Green?

11 minutes ago, Baratheon said:

Fair enough!  So then I would wonder how that affects his ability to coach the forwards and power play.  Do factors like the practice schedule allow Shaw to do both?  Also if he's doing a bit of everything does that make him a sort of backup if they decide to move on from Green?

Like, you Iam somewhat unsure of where the lines of responsibility ends; imo, Shaw is the hedge - just in case the team starts off slow or is struggling to make the playoffs and some changes are needed to change the fortune of the team - very similar to what the Habs did when the Habs replaced Julien with Ducharme and from there, the team took off.

After this offseason, there is alot more pressure & eyes, to see if the staff can deliver - to me the biggest X factors are: the coaching staff and if the players will buy in.

Edited by ShawnAntoski
  • Cheers 1