The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] 17 players elect salary arbitration

42 minutes ago, Trebreh said:

I want Dickinson locked up, we finally found a decent shutdown center lol. 

We had two really good shutdown centers, they just didn't bring much else. Dickinson is a two way center and a 3rd line center. The thing we wish Sutter could be for us but couldn't.

5 minutes ago, N7Nucks said:

We had two really good shutdown centers, they just didn't bring much else. Dickinson is a two way center and a 3rd line center. The thing we wish Sutter could be for us but couldn't.

He did a couple years back.  His body gave out.

8 minutes ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

He did a couple years back.  His body gave out.

Yeah, like I said. He couldn't provide it. Health is a part of a player's kit as much as puck skills, shooting etc. His health for us has been very poor and it effected his game negatively, specifically offensively. When Sutter is clicking, he's a bit of a monster. But he starts to get rolling, bam. Another injury.

• Cheers 1

Even though it’s not quite like the good old days, when the NHL didn’t even track usage or SAT, and arbitrators could only look at the most traditional of the counting stats, I think the process still favours the club, when evaluating value on a player like Dickinson. Between his slight drop-off in scoring rate, historically below average faceoff percentage, and the general inability of NHL to keep stats to really quantify defensive value, I think the Canucks can present a fairly good case to keep the value pretty low, or at least at a reasonable AAV.

I’d be more worried if the process allowed for some the more fancy of fancy stats, because by some metrics, Dickinson profiles as one of the very best defensive players in the league, as in near Selke-level/elite impact (some measures have him something like 98th percentile in defensive value). But thankfully, those types of numbers won’t even enter the equation, under arbitration rules.

EDIT: Ideally, they’ll reach an agreement before it even gets to an arbitration hearing, and that’s what I’m expecting to happen. Just making the point that I’m not too worried about an arbitration award. At worst, I’d expect fair value, and there’s a decent enough chance it’ll actually favour the club.

Edited by SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME
  • Cheers 4

what exactly does arbitration mean? what i gather from some of the replies is that there's a third, neutral party involved who'll determine the value of the player and make a suggestion for a fair contract? or do they have to accept the contract at this point - whatever it may be?

Edited by Rubik
  • Cheers 1

1 hour ago, wallstreetamigo said:

Those teams with players filing for arbitration get a 2nd buyout window I believe.

I think that was rumoured to be something the Canucks wanted, where they could allow Dickinson to file and then sign him shortly after. Then, they could use the 2nd buyout window for Holtby if they couldn't find a taker, but of course they already took care of that.

Hopefully this is just procedure and they'll come to an agreement soon. It might be getting held up a bit by the Pettersson and Hughes negotiations, but maybe that's all it is.

12 minutes ago, Rubik said:

what exactly does arbitration mean? what i gather from some of the replies is that there's a third, neutral party involved who'll determine the value of the player and make a suggestion for a fair contract? or do they have to accept the contract at this point - whatever it may be?

Arbitration is binding. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, AriGold said:

JD - 15 points in 51 games, 26 years old

Nick Richie - 26 points in 56 games, 26 years old - Signed 2 x 2.5M

Warren Foegele - 20 points in 53 games, 27 years old - Signed 3 x 2.75M

Arttuei Lehkonen - 13 points in 47 games, 26 years old - Signed 1 x 2.3M

Andreas Athanasiou - 23 points in 47 games - 26 years old - Signed 1 x 2.7M

Based on what I see above I see a fair contract would be 2 x 2.4M

Have points any meaning when we're talking about a shutdown guy?

12 minutes ago, Rubik said:

Think of the arbitrator as the judge and arbitration as the court. But instead of being public, paid by taxpayers and accessible by everyone, this is private with location, arbitrator etc. funded by the parties. 

• Thanks 1

The one exception I would say is 3C. Dickinson at 3 mil and Sutter at 1 mil per is a good investment in unshackling Horvat from the ill suited (sorry but look at the numbers its true) shutdown role and Garland signing hopefully unshackles Horvat from having to play with Pearson in the top 6. 

Miller-EP-Boeser

Hoglander-Horvat-Garland

Pearson-Dickinson-Podkolzin

Motte-Sutter-Highmore/Mac/etc.

This is what I want to see. 

EDIT: And yes, I realize that there is a prevailing theory that Horvat needs Pearson but again look at the numbers, its not true. Pearson's production falls off a cliff without Horvat, but Bo's actually doesnt change much no matter who he is with. That tells you who really needs who there. 

I think we could try some different looks in the top 6 but that’s the bottom 6 I envision. That third line could be a nice shutdown line with some size and skating ability and a bit of offensive touch to boot. 

5 minutes ago, Sean Monahan said:

I think we could try some different looks in the top 6 but that’s the bottom 6 I envision. That third line could be a nice shutdown line with some size and skating ability and a bit of offensive touch to boot. 

As long as Pearson is on the 3rd line and nowhere near the top 6 or 1st pp unit we are a better team.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Timråfan said:

Have points any meaning when we're talking about a shutdown guy?

YES!!!!! when your on the ice if your team gets outshot and to a lesser extent outscored how you going to win games? third line has to be productive or your not making the playoffs, or if they aren't you wont go far in the playoffs. ever hear of edmonton?

The one exception I would say is 3C. Dickinson at 3 mil and Sutter at 1 mil per is a good investment in unshackling Horvat from the ill suited (sorry but look at the numbers its true) shutdown role and Garland signing hopefully unshackles Horvat from having to play with Pearson in the top 6. 

Miller-EP-Boeser

Hoglander-Horvat-Garland

Pearson-Dickinson-Podkolzin

Motte-Sutter-Highmore/Mac/etc.

This is what I want to see. 

EDIT: And yes, I realize that there is a prevailing theory that Horvat needs Pearson but again look at the numbers, its not true. Pearson's production falls off a cliff without Horvat, but Bo's actually doesnt change much no matter who he is with. That tells you who really needs who there. 

Your wrong about pearson and bo horvat, they are our best players when it comes to shutting down elite offensive players. I can prove it if you want.

• Cheers 1

Players WMTier EVTOI CF% CF%RC DFF% DFF%RC GF%
Tanner Pearson without Bo Horvat Elite 62.47 40 -4.88 39.40 -1.37 50
Bo Horvat without Tanner Pearson Elite 87.75 48.8 4.65 40.60 -0.08 62.5
Bo Horvat with Tanner Pearson Elite 294.62 46.4 2.60 44.70 5.45 40
Bo Horvat and Tanner Pearson both off Elite 557.03 43.4 -2.52 39.00 -3.96 41
Tanner Pearson without Bo Horvat Middle 32.68 36.2 -9.64 36.40 -9.71 0
Bo Horvat without Tanner Pearson Middle 53.02 42.4 -3.29 47.50 2.24 60
Bo Horvat with Tanner Pearson Middle 106.05 50.2 6.02 52.30 8.24 54.5
Bo Horvat and Tanner Pearson both off Middle 420.07 45.1 -0.70 44.30 -3.59 41.5
Tanner Pearson without Bo Horvat Gritensity 49.75 46.1 -3.40 38.00 -10.03 0
Bo Horvat without Tanner Pearson Gritensity 66.30 46 -3.61 36.90 -11.69 22.2