The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[DEBATE] Which #88 in their prime are you taking?

Rate this topic

Which #88 in their prime are you taking?  

94 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

1 hour ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Which #88 in their prime are you taking?

Lindros no contest.   He was the best player on the planet and one of the greatest of all-time for a brief stretch there.  Prime Lindros was up there with the Crosby’s, McDavid’s, etc., even if it was for a few years.

Pat Kane and Vasilevsky are tremendous talents but they’ve never been head and shoulders the best player in the world like Lindros was from around 95-97.

Edited by Patel Bure
  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

Prime? Lindros no question. Probably would've had 1500+ points in a career had injuries not hit him.

Kane is probably 2nd and beyond that, it gets pretty tight I think between the final three.

• Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

Man, the drama around Lindros, back around 1991-93. Imagine if there'd been the 24/7 social media(w/ all today's platforms) back then?

The stories about this guy. Like spitting beer on a girl in a club - he really seemed like an entitled, huge, bully-brat. Parents representing him, refuse Quebec, etc...

Gotta' be honest, when Kaspar leveled him, I felt the hockey Gawds had taken appropriate action. 'Karma Police' by Radiohead comes on as I'm typing..hmm. Yup, big Eric got a heavy dose of karma.

50 minutes ago, Nuxfanabroad said:

Man, the drama around Lindros, back around 1991-93. Imagine if there'd been the 24/7 social media(w/ all today's platforms) back then?

The stories about this guy. Like spitting beer on a girl in a club - he really seemed like an entitled, huge, bully-brat. Parents representing him, refuse Quebec, etc...

Gotta' be honest, when Kaspar leveled him, I felt the hockey Gawds had taken appropriate action. 'Karma Police' by Radiohead comes on as I'm typing..hmm. Yup, big Eric got a heavy dose of karma.

Lindros was a dickhead but he was one of the greatest players of all time at his peak.  Forsberg as well.

1 hour ago, iinatcc said:

I'll take Kane, Lindros is tempting but he's had quite a number of injures 

In his prime in the dead puck era, he was killing it.   Kane's one dimensional, Lindros was complete and playing in this era we'd be picking him ahead of McDavid and Mckinnon most likely.   No redline, and few players that would causes him an iota of pushback.  If any really. 

Edited by IBatch

5 hours ago, -AJ- said:

Prime? Lindros no question. Probably would've had 1500+ points in a career had injuries not hit him.

Kane is probably 2nd and beyond that, it gets pretty tight I think between the final three.

Yes he would have, mostly in the dead puck era too.   Jagr and Lindros were the only two guys that could really put up points back then.   Bure, Selanne, Sakic and Forsberg too but Lindros was half himself after the collapsed lung and concussions started.   When he was a junior nobody could touch him...in the 90's there was a couple guys on each team that could handle him somewhat, but still took him forever to learn to keep his head up.    In today's game i'm sure he'd be making the max, not redline, no head hunting and a small handful of D's big enough to give any trouble.   The guys an absolute beast.    No Babychs's in this game except one and he's 43 now. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, IBatch said:

Yes he would have, mostly in the dead puck era too.   Jagr and Lindros were the only two guys that could really put up points back then.   Bure, Selanne, Sakic and Forsberg too but Lindros was half himself after the collapsed lung and concussions started.   When he was a junior nobody could touch him...in the 90's there was a couple guys on each team that could handle him somewhat, but still took him forever to learn to keep his head up.    In today's game i'm sure he'd be making the max, not redline, no head hunting and a small handful of D's big enough to give any trouble.   The guys an absolute beast.    No Babychs's in this game except one and he's 43 now. 

And don't forget little, old, mid-30s Wayne Gretzky could still put up similar numbers through that era; he still showed up in the Top 5 in scoring some years despite the historical-revisionism that he only scored in the high-flying 80s

• Like 1

Lindros? that snot nosed little puke who refused to play for the team that drafted him. He should have been banned from the NHL for life... you play for the the team that selected you or you wait it out, 3 years, and re enter the draft. It's a privilege to be able to play in the greatest league of the world. Until you have enough senority to warrant holding out for a trade/sign elsewhere you suck it up and play your heart out. 

• Cheers 1

30 minutes ago, nzan said:

And don't forget little, old, mid-30s Wayne Gretzky could still put up similar numbers through that era; he still showed up in the Top 5 in scoring some years despite the historical-revisionism that he only scored in the high-flying 80s

No doubt.   Half his peak was still good enough to compete with the best of the next era in their peak prime.    Any sort of re-visionist history discussed with someone who wasn't around can be not worth the effort.   With a bad back that almost forced retirement in the very early 90's, and a bum shoulder (which for sure affected his shot), he was still outproducing almost all the HHOFers that started in the late 80's to the late 90's.   That's a big list including Federov, Iginla, Theo Fluery, JNew,  Shanny,   Bure, Sakic, Sundin, Forsberg, Modano, Lindros, Jagr et all.   100 points was half his peak literally and figuratively.    The guy was just at another level like Orr and Mario.   And played his swan song years with lesser teams in the dead puck era.   What could have been if he played with us, Ronning stayed ... Plus Mogilny Bure etc 

Edited by IBatch
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1