Jump to content
The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] Would you consider this?


Recommended Posts

If Petey was given an offer sheet and accepted, would you if you were Benning let him go.Say 11 million or higher.Take 4 1st rounders and then start talks with Buffalo for Eichel.Offer 3 of the first rounders straight up for Eichel with Buffalo eating 1 million for the first 2 seasons. Age difference is 2 years .Keeping  Petey would be best but I would think hard when the money gets to high if the Canucks can get Buffalo to bite.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, cowboy644 said:

If Petey was given an offer sheet and accepted, would you if you were Benning let him go.Say 11 million or higher.Take 4 1st rounders and then start talks with Buffalo for Eichel.Offer 3 of the first rounders straight up for Eichel with Buffalo eating 1 million for the first 2 seasons. Age difference is 2 years .Keeping  Petey would be best but I would think hard when the money gets to high if the Canucks can get Buffalo to bite.

If we somehow lost our franchise player, it would make sense to use our cap space and newly acquired assets to get another one.  However, Eichel would be very low on my list.  Great player.  IMHO poisonous, tarnished, and potentially damaged goods!

  • Hydration 2
  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Tough call, it would be kind of a re-set, but four1st round picks would fill that prospect pool pretty quickly, with good players. 

 

I really like Pettersson, have the jersey. He's a special player, who still needs to build strength. There would always be that "what if..?", though, and the fan base would cry for Benning's head if he let Petey go.

 

IMO they need to keep Pettersson, they're close to building that team who could challenge for a Cup (3-5 years?)

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

if petey looking for 11 million. thats telling me he doesn't want to be in vancouver anymore he doesnt believe in the system. that hes only looking out for his own interest, which is understandable. which also i dont see. hes def not worth 11 mill mayb 8-9 i can see him taking a pay cut too like Nathan McKinnon. just need the right assets too. not to sure about the now with this squad imo. gm needs to make better decisions signing wise. with the right players and terms. benning did pretty good this off season getting rid of some dead weight contracts. but doesn't help himself with a repeat of some of his signings. only part he really lacks in. he should get an advisor before he does lol 

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Petey is not worth more than Kucherov. Kucherov is the benchmark for premier player while still 'affording a team' that can win. Otherwise you end up like the Oilers or Leafs, where you have exciting players that cost too much to support.

 

So if he wants that kind of dough and an offer sheet comes in for him, take the picks.

 

 

  • Upvote 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

The logic makes sense. Lose a franchise player so go get a new one.

 

But I would just convert Miller to center so that we get Horvat-Miller as the 2Cs. And find a scoring winger to replace Petey.

 

I'd rather keep those 4 1st rounders, especially next couple years' depending on which team it is that offersheeted Petey.

 

34 minutes ago, brownky said:

Petey is not worth more than Kucherov. Kucherov is the benchmark for premier player while still 'affording a team' that can win. Otherwise you end up like the Oilers or Leafs, where you have exciting players that cost too much to support.

 

So if he wants that kind of dough and an offer sheet comes in for him, take the picks.

 

 

You are right but also note that 9.5 mil in Tampa is probably 11 mil in other cities.

 

A former MVP and scoring champion who delivers in the playoffs is easily worth 11 mil. However, if Tampa is paying their players like other teams pay their stars, they probably don't get 2 cups.

 

But I agree, the maximum we should pay for our star players if we ever want to win a cup is what Tampa pays Kucherov. If and when Petey gets there, we should keep him under 9.5 mil. 

 

That's why I would be happy to sign Petey to a long term deal now 8 years 8 or 8.5 mil. 

 

 

 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 million doesn't happen but just for conversation sake . If it was a team that was going to be a good chance to be bottom 3 the next 4 years you would have to take it . If it was a Cup contender always picking 28-32 in the draft than no-way even at 11 mill 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, qwijibo said:

No one is offering Pettersson $11m 

This, and if someone does with any decent term attached, I wouldn't blame him for accepting it. That's a lot of money. It would depend on the team of course, since I'm not sure he'd sign the offer sheet for, say, Buffalo, but still.

 

As for us, if Buffalo offered it and Petey signed it, that would be 4 great 1st rounders since they're still bound to be bad for a few years. If it's Tampa, Vegas, or some other top team - ignoring they wouldn't have the cap space - those 4 1sts wouldn't be nearly as enticing.

 

In the end, it's moot since no one would offer that much, and Petey is unlikely to sign an offer sheet that isn't an overpayment.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Dixon Ward said:

If we somehow lost our franchise player, it would make sense to use our cap space and newly acquired assets to get another one.  However, Eichel would be very low on my list.  Great player.  IMHO poisonous, tarnished, and potentially damaged goods!

You may be right.  Eichel can be a very impressive player almost at a level of MacKinnon imo.  It's a damn shame if true and I lay the blame at the feet of Buffalo ownership and management.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I say Eichel because there is not any top line centers out there available.This kid happy and on a line with Boeser and Miller makes the mind ponder.A career faceoff percentage around  50%.Peteys kryptonite is the faceoff dot.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Nurnge said:

11 million doesn't happen but just for conversation sake . If it was a team that was going to be a good chance to be bottom 3 the next 4 years you would have to take it . If it was a Cup contender always picking 28-32 in the draft than no-way even at 11 mill 

There aren't any contender who has 11 mil in cap space. So whichever team offersheets him should be at the bottom half of the standings.

 

I'd take 4 first rounders and run. As good as Petey is and will be, he isn't even close to being an 11 mil player yet.

 

We should not repeat the mistakes made by Toronto, their downfall was signing Tavares to an 11 mil contract. If we sign Petey to an 11 mil contract before he wins anything, that will be our downfall.

  • Like 1
  • Upvote 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, cowboy644 said:

If Petey was given an offer sheet and accepted, would you if you were Benning let him go.Say 11 million or higher.Take 4 1st rounders and then start talks with Buffalo for Eichel.Offer 3 of the first rounders straight up for Eichel with Buffalo eating 1 million for the first 2 seasons. Age difference is 2 years .Keeping  Petey would be best but I would think hard when the money gets to high if the Canucks can get Buffalo to bite.

With generational players in the next two drafts I would take the pics and rebuild. If we are trading Petey we are rebuilding.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...