The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] Would you consider this?

2 hours ago, FlyLow_ said:

With generational players in the next two drafts I would take the pics and rebuild. If we are trading Petey we are rebuilding.

Petey is worth 7.2 to 7.6 million X 3 yrs...Never match a high offer sheet take 4  1st rounders.

1. Horvat 2. Miller 3. Dickinson 4. Sutter

Go trade for top winger we will have lots of cap space..

I don't think Petey would sign a offer sheet..

• Cheers 1

I think the interesting conversation would happen if someone was to offer him 10 mil/year for let's say 4 years.  

You would get 

2 x 1st round pick 

1 x 2nd round pick 

1 x 3rd round pick 

In order to get Eichel, we would have to unload all of those picks, so it would be a sideways move.  Just not a big fan of the way Eichel handles his business, however he has been stuck in Buffalo.  I think that Eichel just makes it into top 10 forwards in the league.  For me Petey sits somewhere between the 15th to 20th best forward in the game, but he's a couple of years younger then Eichel.  

Here is a list of teams that would meet the draft pick requirements.  The ones that have at least 10 mil in cap space to do this have been bolded 

Arizona

Buffalo

Carolina

Dallas 

Detroit 

Minnesota 

Montreal 

Nashville 

New Jersey 

Ottawa 

Seattle 

There is simply no way that I see Arizona or Buffalo doing this because of the path that they're on.  Carolina still has to sign Andrei Svechnikov and only has 12 mil in cap space, so they're out.  Ottawa isn't the type to splash the cash and together with Detroit run the risk of finishing in the bottom 5 of the league and probably wouldn't risk giving up a Connor Bedard as one of the picks.  I don't think I've seen one 1st round pick moved yet for 2023 that didn't have any top 2 protection (correct me if I'm wrong here). Nashville is in a funny spot as they don't seem to be going for it and might go back to a rebuild.  Once they sign Juuse Saros and Dante Fabrro, they'll still have lots of cap space left over but it would really surprise me if David Poile gave out an offer sheet. New Jersey has two excellent young centers in Jack Hughes and Nico Hischier so I don't see a fit there. 

If Minnesota isn't able to convince Kirill Kaprizov to come back, then they will be the front runners for an offer sheet IMO.  Bill Guerin is trying to be pretty aggressive and they will need an impact forward after losing Kaprizov (if that happens).  They have 19 mil in cap space but still have the aformentioned Kaprizov and Kevin Fiala to sign. 

Seattle's motivation to do this would be two-fold.  First of all, they need a franchise #1 center.  Second of all, they would really screw the young, up and coming team in their own division.  I have a feeling that Seattle wouldn't want to trade away their top picks like that, especially without having set foot on ice yet.  They could very well flop out the gate, even with Petey and then as mentioned you're giving up a lottery ticket at either Shane Wright, Connor Bedard and the two excellent Russian forwards.  

So for my money, Minnesota is the most likely.  

Edited by VancouverHabitant

9 hours ago, cowboy644 said:

If Petey was given an offer sheet and accepted, would you if you were Benning let him go.Say 11 million or higher.Take 4 1st rounders and then start talks with Buffalo for Eichel.Offer 3 of the first rounders straight up for Eichel with Buffalo eating 1 million for the first 2 seasons. Age difference is 2 years .Keeping  Petey would be best but I would think hard when the money gets to high if the Canucks can get Buffalo to bite.

You have to retain on the entire contract. You can’t just do it for 2 years. 

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/2/2021 at 10:34 AM, cowboy644 said:

If Petey was given an offer sheet and accepted, would you if you were Benning let him go.Say 11 million or higher.Take 4 1st rounders and then start talks with Buffalo for Eichel.Offer 3 of the first rounders straight up for Eichel with Buffalo eating 1 million for the first 2 seasons. Age difference is 2 years .Keeping  Petey would be best but I would think hard when the money gets to high if the Canucks can get Buffalo to bite.

If a team is fool enough to give up four first rounders for a player, I let him walk. 

Eight first rounders over the next four seasons rebuilds a franchise.

This, in my opinion, would signify a complete rebuild, making others available, also.

10 minutes ago, komodo0921 said:

This, in my opinion, would signify a complete rebuild, making others available, also.

4 firsts for Elias

a first and a 2nd for Miller

A first and 2 2nds for Bo

2 firsts for Quinn

2 firsts for Brock

Other pieces for whatever.

10 firsts, plus the Canucks own picks would be about 14 firsts, over a four year period.

Complete re build, but it would be 3-4 years before the team gets competitive again; not many people have that kind of patience.-Somewhat evident, because we are even spitballing this idea now, just as the team begins to climb.

Trade some of those firsts to a suspected "lotto' team for the Conner Bedard draft year