The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Impact of Olympics on Canucks roster

Rate this topic

Slegr

The Canucks generally have a hard time staying healthy in any season, let alone an Olympic one. How do you think the impact of the Winter games (assuming NHLers are able to play) will impact our season? Petey slowed down a lot towards the end the last time he had a full season. Given our mix of international players, a good number of Canucks will likely be competing for medals. Will the risk of injury, the extra travel to Beijing and the additional wear and tear of intense Olympic games be too much of a drain on some key players for us to have late season success?

Or will the emotional highs and enhanced, competitive play help inspire our key players down the stretch?

19 minutes ago, Slegr said:

The Canucks generally have a hard time staying healthy in any season, let alone an Olympic one. How do you think the impact of the Winter games (assuming NHLers are able to play) will impact our season? Petey slowed down a lot towards the end the last time he had a full season. Given our mix of international players, a good number of Canucks will likely be competing for medals. Will the risk of injury, the extra travel to Beijing and the additional wear and tear of intense Olympic games be too much of a drain on some key players for us to have late season success?

Or will the emotional highs and enhanced, competitive play help inspire our key players down the stretch?

Even though I'd love to see a Canadian Contingent win Gold, I don't think that the NHL should participate in those Olympics as the Gold medal hockey game is always one of the premiere events and we should not give that gift to the CCP (Chinese Communist Party) after the way they have treated their Minorities, the people of Hong Kong, Taiwan, the cover up and denial of access of information on the Covid outbreak, the mistreatment of the two Michaels and a host of other traumas they have bestowed upon the earth and their own people.  China is an oppressive rogue communist dictatorship of lies and evil and Bettman should send a message that people in the "normal" part of the world will not accept that type of 19th century behavior.  

In China, you can't say these words | ShareAmerica

Edited by RU SERIOUS
  • Cheers 3
  • Vintage 1

The Hockey Guy did a video on this years schedule, it looks like it crams a lot of games into December for us. One nice aspect of it tho is only 12 back to backs, which is a few less than a lot of teams.

Edited by Jimmy McGill

I think the players who would have a chance to play in the olympics would be:

Can - Horvat 

Swe - EP,  OEL

US - Boeser, Miller, Demko, Garland, Hughes

RUS - Podkolzin (very outside shot)

Horvat Garland and Podkolzin would all be pleasant surprises.

So let's assume that the other 6 are in the Olympics.  

• Cheers 1

54 minutes ago, Slegr said:

I think there's a really high chance that the winter Olympics gets pushed back a year, same as the summer did.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dixon Ward said:

I think the players who would have a chance to play in the olympics would be:

Can - Horvat 

Swe - EP,  OEL

US - Boeser, Miller, Demko, Garland, Hughes

RUS - Podkolzin (very outside shot)

Horvat Garland and Podkolzin would all be pleasant surprises.

So let's assume that the other 6 are in the Olympics.  

Horvat might be injury call up. He said no to the last few world championships so that'll probably go against him this time.

Pod doubtful unless he has an unreal Calder year. don't know much about Garland, haven't looked into him yet i tend to skip Coyotes games

I hope they go, its been too long since real best on best Hockey happened. 8 years since Sochi and i remember how pumped I was for that.  I wanna see what Canada has against more formidable opponents, Sochi roster was unbelievably stacked and it didn't look like it was that intense as 2010 or 2002.  We were undeniably the best team on paper and on the ice.

This time US and Finland are pretty stacked, Germanys jumped on the scene in a big way over Czech Republic(what happened?).  Russia and Sweden are different teams.

Last time the Canucks and the Olympics happened, Canucks ended up 1st in their division, and only 4 teams in the entire league had more wins then them, so it seemed to work ok for them last time.

You have to let them play and represent their country, that's a huge honor for anyone, I get there is a risk, but lets be real there is a risk everyday no matter what, driving a car is a risk, sometimes you just have to let it go, I think it's worse saying no to them and not allowing them to play, that's just a huge slap in their face.

KLIMOVICH GONNA LEAD BELARUS TO THE GOLDDDD

In seriousness - I think having Abby down the road & a new closer team in Seattle which will take up 10% of their road games if old division return, is gonna give the Canucks an opportunity to equalize some of the long travel distances they face which contributes to injury. Abby gives them a deeper roster as players can be called up more briefly and without as much thought or travel. I think those are two major pluses for the Canucks.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

How about we keep the China bashing to the off topic threads?

Back to topic, I actually want most of our players to go if selected, actually allows them to mesh with the other top end players that might help us attract free agents. 

Edited by 24K PureCool
  • Sad 1
  • Vintage 1

Still made the playoffs in the 2010 olympic year.

Injuries happen every year and at any time of the season and the same can go for any of the other 31 teams as well.

2014 olympics in sochi, a number of olympians from Kings ended up winning the Stanley cup. 

You also gotta remember, the players are willing to go to these countries and compete for their nations. They are not inclined to but choose to.

I think GMJB acquired a lot of solid depth this off-season for this to not be that big of an issue. It's up to the players to perform.

Edited by PetterssonOrPeterson
  • Vintage 1

European players want to play in the Olympics.

Forgotten by a lot of N Americans is that many European players didn't grow up playing shinny and dreaming of scoring the winning goal in game 7 of the SCF.  For them, it was scoring the winning goal that gave them the gold medal.   

I remember Zetterberg saying when Detroit won the cup (2008) that he was just as excited to join the Triple Gold Club as he was to hoist the Cup.

See:  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Triple_Gold_Club

I would be very surprised if the NHL did NOT send their players to Beijing.  Bettman represents ownership, and to them China is such a huge potential market.  They won't be able to resist.

I really don't like Xi Jinping and the CCP's approach to politics and diplomacy.  But Canada is not in a very strong position to lecture other countries on how they are re-educating ethnic minorities for the purposes of wiping out their culture (and covering it up).  We are in the midst of uncovering the magnitude and depth of the atrocities that occurred in residential schools.  The healing process can't begin until we uncover all the graves, and until then I feel weird to point the finger at other countries.

• Vintage 1

The IOC is a big crooked scam and the Olympics are a great big cash cow.

The games promote nationalism, not athleticism; and all the major countries are guilty of using the games to promote their own agendas.

Nationalism is a major cause of war, not exactly conducive to sports-person-like behavior from the athletes nor the fans.

Take the nations out of the Olympics, and make it about who is the best athlete.

Period.

No flag-waving crap.

"Oh, Canada won more medals than Latvia.  Yay.  We so good."

"Go Canada. 

Cah Nah Duh,

Cah Nah Duh,.."

Remember how we felt when a Jamaican racing as a Canadian won the 100m dash?

And how quickly he was dumped after it was found that he used peds that weren't as cleverly hidden as Carl Lewis's were?

The only Olympics I can watch any more is hockey, and that is an addiction I bear with some guilt.

Also, I only watch and cheer for the teams with Nux prospects or players, which had me cheering for the Russians vs Canada due to Podz.

Many years ago, I also cheered for the Russian Red Army Machine Team that came over and played Canadian teams, but only when they played Montreal, I severely dislike that team and especially detest their smarmy fans.

But all that flag-waving, and when ever was ribbon waving a sport?

What's next basket-weaving?

"Only a Silver for Cah Nah Duh for that one Ron, those Tibetans can really bob and weave!"

(Oh!  Did I say Tibet?  At the China Show?  Oh!  I'm done for now.  Oh No!  Oh Nooooooooo - ala Mr. Bill)

Just a joke.

An expensive, and often dangerous (see 1972 Munich Olympics) joke, that strips the athletes from their positions on the podium, and replaces them with corrupt politicians and corporate logos, held high as leaders of the best countries in the world, etc. .. give me a flutin' break. 

• Vintage 1
  • RoughGame 1