The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Draft edition: Benning vs the World

Rate this topic

knucklehead91

2 hours ago, kanucks25 said:

Nothing outside the top 40; pretty much the only thing we have to show for it is 1 depth-level season by Tryamkin.

Not sure how this is going to be sustainable. Most of the better prospects have graduated, roster is capped out.

The good, high picks that now compose the core of this team is good enough to probably make us a bubble team, but that means no more lottery picks.

Really just makes you shake your head at how many picks were thrown away, and how people still find a way to defend that garbage.

It was what it was.   Regardless of what has occurred we are where we are, and for sure it's the drafting plus using those draft picks for Miller, OEL and Garland that will shape JBs legacy.    Every trade and pick doesn't need to be re-hashed with a lens as to JB being good or bad, that is the real garbage.   

If it means no more lottery tickets then JB has done his job, it means he's made us into a playoff team.   Doubt that's the case yet but we are trending in the right direction.    Even the mighty Tampa Bay faltered during their last transition of power with a young superstar Stamkos at the time and Hedman.   We have a window that's opening now and should last quite some time.   No it's not that wide, and really shouldn't be until QHs and EP are 26-32.     What that means is parts of this core and parts of the next one is when it will be at its widest, using TB as an example, the transition from the  Martin St Louis days to the Point/Kucherov days with Hedman and Stamkos being part of both.   Not the best example, but is an example of how long a window can be with two great players in tow.   Just hope EP and QHs can grow into that level of stardom. 

I just don’t get why people are excited just to make the playoffs after 7 seasons of Jim Benning at the helm. No one has mentioned that their expectation is to be Stanley cup contenders which it should be after 7 long years and there are some major holes in this lineup that can’t be ignored but they will be by management. Right side defense, a true power forward and some pk players. You need all these things to be considered a stanley cup contender, yet people are excited if we just make the playoffs. Our expectations should be higher at this point shouldn’t they?

Edited by Canuckfanforlife82

37 minutes ago, gurn said:

What 7 years are you talking about?

7 years of Jim Benning and his inconsistent managing style. One things that really bothers me and I know Hamonic is making decisions that may have surprised Jim Benning but this seems to be a reoccurring theme of not taking due diligence to make sure money is not being wasted. There was the Ferland situation where concussions and injuries were already a problem and then this Hamonic situation where more money is being wasted on nothing. Money being spent on players who won’t have any affect on the team which is really bad in a salary cap era. We can’t afford to just be throwing away money and saying oh well it’s not a problem, it is and a big one. Money that is just sitting there and not being used to improve the team. Embarrassing. It will be interesting to see what he has to say about more money being thrown away at a player who might not play for us. He at times just seems like oh well. Shrugging and moving on to the next thing. I am surprised the owners aren’t angry by now at money just being thrown away for free. 

Edited by Canuckfanforlife82

12 minutes ago, Canuckfanforlife82 said:

7 years of Jim Benning and his inconsistent managing style. One things that really bothers me and I know Hamonic is making decisions that may have surprised Jim Benning but this seems to be a reoccurring theme of not taking due diligence to make sure money is not being wasted. There was the Ferland situation where concussions and injuries were already a problem and then this Hamonic situation where more money is being wasted on nothing. Money being spent on players who won’t have any affect on the team which is really bad in a salary cap era. We can’t afford to just be throwing away money and saying oh well it’s not a problem, it is and a big one. Money that is just sitting there and not being used to improve the team. Embarrassing. It will be interesting to see what he has to say about more money being thrown away at a player who might not play for us. He at times just seems like oh well. Shrugging and moving on to the next thing. I am surprised the owners aren’t angry by now at money just being thrown away for free. 

The above shows me you didn't look at the Canuck record over the last decade, including under J.B. and check how many times they made the play off, under J.B. as G.M.

1 minute ago, gurn said:

The above shows me you didn't look at the Canuck record over the last decade, including under J.B. and check how many times they made the play off, under J.B. as G.M.

They made it twice but I wasn’t talking about them making the playoffs. I said that there hope was to make the playoffs. Nothing higher than this and they failed to that 5 of the 7 years. The bar should be higher by now is my point. There hope shouldn’t just be to make the playoffs anymore but it is.

47 minutes ago, Canuckfanforlife82 said:

They made it twice but I wasn’t talking about them making the playoffs

2 hours ago, Canuckfanforlife82 said:

I just don’t get why people are excited just to make the playoffs after 7 seasons of Jim Benning at the helm.

Yeah.

They made it once when 90% of the team was inherited (even though I'm always told how Benning inherited a wasteland) and once when they were saved by a COVID play-in.

I mean if you want to put those feathers in Benning's cap, the bar is low lol.

• 1 year later...

First of all I admire your dedication to work what must be a long time to bring our attention to the state of Drafting, but oh my, oh my. Teams play in the NHL for what reason ???  ..... to win, and in particular win the Stanley Cup. It's the ultimate measure of success in th NHL. DRafting is of course very important but I'd hasten to add so to is good management by the Hockey operation staff. You can aquire players from NCAA, UFA, you can trade. But most of all you need a good hockey operations staff. Scouts, Pro and amateur, Capologist ( did you see TO gave up their 1st round pick but managed to get O'Rielly for less that $2 million, lets bow down to Gilman at this point his finger prints are all over this trade ) Why would they give up a first round pick in what is reputed to be a great draft year. Simple they're going for the Cup, they're all in !! It's the  goal of every, I repeat every team. You can draft well and yet still fail as a franchise because your management skill were bad. There is no roll of the drums or blast of a horn for the team with the best Draft history neither is there a very large Silver Trophy. You only get that for winning the SC.

What has held back Vcr in particular is not drafting, although it has been sparodic, but the fact that they've tried to make chickken soup out of chicken feathers year after year after year! A note to ownership here, there is NO magical pixie dust to right the wrongs you have done to this franchise.  While talking about drafting lets not forget, Brackett and Gilman. With the success those two had why oh why would you fire them, please pass the pixie dust would you seems like we need a lot in Vcr! 

Drafting well is essential for sure but it does not automatically lead to the main prize. 

We currently have 4 nhl regulars drafted by this franchise playing for it all are from the 1st round 

Three are 10 picks 

Demko would be a 5 th if he want injured and the only one taken after the 1st round 

draft and develop wins whatever Jb did is the book of what not to do. 
Jb vs the world  -

the world wins and it isn’t even close. 

A steaming pile of poop could have achieved the same results as JB.