The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Coyotes sign Travis Boyd

A part of me wanted Canucks to retool after last season and take the slow approach.  The main reason for this was that next two drafts will each have two franchise forwards (Shane Wright, Connor Bedard and the two Russian forwards).  

I’m glad that we didn’t because there is simply no way that anyone can outtank Arizona, Buffalo and Columbus this year.  

The race to the bottom will be pretty wild over the next two seasons. 

18 hours ago, rekker said:

Lots of ex Canucks on the Yotes so I'm actually going to watch some games, or periods, or minutes, or shifts.......I will watch Yotes hilites anyways. 

That leaves a lot of time left in the day B)

• Haha 2

Didn't expect a lot of Boyd last year when claimed - in part because I don't base player assessments on an inferiority complex or assumption than anything Leaf would be better than our own depth....

But he was surprisingly bad here - for whatever reason - in his small sample, whether it was a lack of 'inspiration' playing in a heavily replacement/depleted bottom six, or simple exhaustion/covid conditions, who knows...

2 pts in 19 games, -6

11:51/game, 1:07 on the powerplay

9 hits, 6 blocks

57% ozone starts

43.5% corsi

0.9 on ice goals for per 60 5on5

3.0 against.

no pk ice time

two areas he was good - 5 takeaways, 2 giveaways (+3 - although largely, obviously, playing without the puck in spite of deployment) - and the one area he was a positive surprise 51.1% faceoffs

Of course, all those unimpressive numbers need to be taken with a grain of salt/context - playing on a heavily depleted and exhausted roster - but still, 'underlying' numbers as bad (or worse) than Gaudette's - and showed nothing to warrant another look imo - significantly outplayed by some of his peer depth/replacement/callups....

11 minutes ago, oldnews said:

Didn't expect a lot of Boyd last year when claimed - in part because I don't base player assessments on an inferiority complex or assumption than anything Leaf would be better than our own depth....

But he was surprisingly bad here - for whatever reason - in his small sample, whether it was a lack of 'inspiration' playing in a heavily replacement/depleted bottom six, or simple exhaustion/covid conditions, who knows...

2 pts in 19 games, -6

11:51/game, 1:07 on the powerplay

9 hits, 6 blocks

57% ozone starts

43.5% corsi

0.9 on ice goals for per 60 5on5

3.0 against.

no pk ice time

two areas he was good - 5 takeaways, 2 giveaways (+3 - although largely, obviously, playing without the puck in spite of deployment) - and the one area he was a positive surprise 51.1% faceoffs

Of course, all those unimpressive numbers need to be taken with a grain of salt/context - playing on a heavily depleted and exhausted roster - but still, 'underlying' numbers as bad (or worse) than Gaudette's - and showed nothing to warrant another look imo - significantly outplayed by some of his peer depth/replacement/callups....

He'll fit right in with Arizona. Maybe play on a line with Eriksson. 

19 minutes ago, N7Nucks said:

I'd say that says more about our bottom 6 last year than him. But yes, do wish him well. Seems like an okay dude.

I'd say it says more about him unless we're inclined to make contrived excuses for him - not hard to make the case that he was the worst of the lot - but of course, that would be someone else's fault - (maybe Michaelis was comparably ineffective, but the idea that he was dragged down by linemates would be an assumption that doesn't hold much water - his four most frequent linemates here all had better numbers than him).