The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

John Tortorella to join ESPN as analyst

Rate this topic

https://www.nhl.com/news/john-tortorella-joins-espn-as-nhl-studio-analyst/c-325906846

Tortorella joins ESPN as NHL studio analyst

63-year-old coached Blue Jackets past six seasons, won Stanley Cup with Lightning in 2004

cut.jpg

John Tortorella was hired as a studio analyst Wednesday for ESPN's coverage of the NHL beginning this season.

The 63-year-old coached the Columbus Blue Jackets for six seasons until it was announced May 10 that he would not return. His 673 wins in 20 seasons with the Tampa Bay Lightning, New York Rangers, Vancouver Canucks and Blue Jackets are tied with Peter Laviolette for the most by a United States-born coach in NHL history. Tortorella is 673-541-132 with 37 ties in 1,383 regular-season games and 56-64 in 120 Stanley Cup Playoff games. 

I guess the days of Torts yelling at players are finally over.  He absolutely brutalized Columbus and left them in shambles.  The Calgary incident was still one of the funniest things I've seen in pro sports.

36 minutes ago, gurn said:

Huge mistake by ESPN, Torts was a horrible analysts/commentator in his previous try.

To afraid to say anything that could jeopardize his next coaching gig.

Maybe he doesn't have to worry about that anymore. :P

Or who knows, maybe AZ can sign him to ruin all their draft picks and keep the tank rolling along.

• Upvote 1

26 minutes ago, Bell said:

I guess the days of Torts yelling at players are finally over.  He absolutely brutalized Columbus and left them in shambles.  The Calgary incident was still one of the funniest things I've seen in pro sports.

He did pretty well in Columbus to start with.  This type of coach always has a short shelf life.