The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[DEBATE] Which #1 in their prime are you taking?

Rate this topic

Which #1 in their prime are you taking?  

62 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

The 2006-2007 version of Luongo would have been my choice, but any other form of Luongo after that and I’d have to pursue different options, with respect.  I don’t know the other goalies all that well and so I chose Terry Sawchuk.

1994 Kirk McLean would have easily received my vote.   If Tim Thomas had worn #1, he might have received my vote as well.  Both ?Thomas and McLean knew how to elevate their games and inspire confidence amongst teammates when it mattered most.

Perhaps if it was a contest for funniest commercials and creative twitter posts, then Luongo would get the nod from my end.

Edited by Patel Bure
  • Like 1

This one is tough.  All Hall of Famers except Bobby Lou, who should get there soon.  I chose Terry Sawchuk.  Not that I ever saw him play, but in 5 consecutive seasons in the 1950's he had a total of 56 shutouts and a GAA of under 2.00.  Probably the best 5 year stretch of goaltending ever in history.  And I believe he played almost every game in that 5 year stretch as well.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

It was very hard to not vote for Luongo. He was absolutely amazing in his prime, and I think he doesn't get enough credit.

That being said, Sawchuk is probably a top 4 goalie of all time. Very few goaltenders have had a sub 2.00 GAA twice in their careers, and he did it 5 straight times in an era where those stats were almost unheard of. His toughness is legendary. 

• Upvote 1

Almost nit-picking to try and choose between Sawchuk and Plante. I finally lly went with Plante because of the innovation he brought to the game, including the goalie mask. Out of the goalies that I have seen play I had to pick Bernie Parent. Playing street hockey as a kid and choosing a name for yourself anytime you  played goal, you were Bernie Parent.

• Like 2
  • Cheers 1

I haven't seen most of those guys play, so obviously I'd go with Luongo. His first year here, I don't think Ive seen that level of goaltending EVER in a Canucks uniform. That Canucks team was garbage, and Luongo basically carried the team most nights. It was the perfect storm as when Roberto came here, he was right in the middle of his prime. In one season, he owned the city. I know many MANY people that started playing rec and wanted to become goalies because of Bobby Lou, thats the kind of influence he had in the city

• Cheers 1

11 hours ago, Patel Bure said:

The 2006-2007 version of Luongo would have been my choice, but any other form of Luongo after that and I’d have to pursue different options, with respect.  I don’t know the other goalies all that well and so I chose Terry Sawchuk.

Agreed. the 06-07 Luongo is one of the most dominant goalie performances I've seen. Crazy how Martin Brodeur had to pick that same year to take it away from Lui. I personally felt Lui had a better season, but eastern bias gave the edge to Brodeur. 

• Upvote 1