The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Islanders re-sign Adam Pelech

Oh wow, great value for the Isles. Always liked this guy's game. Lou, what can I say other than its plain as day what a mistake Shanahan made in keeping Dubas over Lou. Dubas has taken the foundation of what good of been a great team and overpaid for all his RFA's. Lou would of had AM, Nylander, MM on better terms and value. Or shipped them out for value. The Dubas experiment will go down in history as an utter disaster. 

• Cheers 3

8 minutes ago, Dixon Ward said:

Almost 6 million over 8 years?  Seems a bit rich for a shut down guy.  Larsson and Tanev ar in the 4 million range.  

If JB did this he would be skewered by cdcers and the media.  Lou does it and it's a great move.

5.75 is a great contract he is 5 years younger than Tanev and is a better shutdown player.  He plays 20+ mins and is a primary matchup shutdown D. He is the kind of D you need to win championships 

Edited by UKNuck96
  • Upvote 3

13 minutes ago, Dixon Ward said:

Almost 6 million over 8 years?  Seems a bit rich for a shut down guy.  Larsson and Tanev ar in the 4 million range.  

If JB did this he would be skewered by cdcers and the media.  Lou does it and it's a great move.

The amount of bias towards their own GM is pretty sickening, but I guess it depends on which direction the wind is blowing.

Drance reported Lou made a great move by trading three second rounders (for nothing but cap space).  He specifically said "consideration for GM of the year" :rolleyes:

37 minutes ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

It's kind of hard to believe that this is Islanders' first transaction after free agency opened more than a week ago.

I wouldn't be surprised if they had deals in place for Palmieri, Cizikas, Zajac, and Parise.

Perhaps waiting for Pelech and Beauvillier to get signed before announcing.

• Cheers 1

42 minutes ago, UKNuck96 said:

5.75 is a great contract he is 5 years younger than Tanev and is a better shutdown player.  He plays 20+ mins and is a primary matchup shutdown D. He is the kind of D you need to win championships 

We'll see in 4 years how great it looks.  

Mayfield shouldn't have left so much money on the table....Pelech took it all.

this is good news for us - the Isles less likely to be able to pay Mayfield when he expires in a few years - we can finally poach him haha.

anyhow - I agree with the sentiments above - solid player, but interesting to see the praise for LouLame in here (if Benning signed him to that if he'd been a UFA this place would have blown a hundred head gaskets...)

• Cheers 1

Fair contract. 

Nurse has a touch more offense and gets overpaid. I suppose you have to overpay to get players to stay in Edmonton. 

1 hour ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

It's kind of hard to believe that this is Islanders' first transaction after free agency opened more than a week ago.

The 1st official one but they already have other players signed - they simply haven't filed their deals yet.  Parise is for sure already signed per Russo, Palmieri probably too as well as Cizikas.  

Lamoriello doesn't want other teams to know how much cap space they have available and typically files his contracts later in the off-season.  

Edited by mll

Great deal. Pelech is a hell of a player. He gets this while Nurse is about to sign for 9.

Hilarious the people on twitter ragging Lou over things like the facial hair, as if this guy doesn't know what he's doing.

He's provided structure & built a great program in NYI... While his old team has bent the knee in negotiations to players who can't get it done.

3 minutes ago, Dixon Ward said:

We'll see in 4 years how great it looks.  

That’s very true but I can’t help but like the contracts being signed on the Island. Most of their main pieces are signed for between 5M and 6M with longer terms. Only Lee (long term) and Barzal (2 yrs) are for 7M. If they don’t go off the board trying to sign big name/money UFAs in the next year or two they should be able keep their salary structure in place. I’ll take a team like this any day over having 3-4 guys making over 10M any day.

• Cheers 1