The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Kraken sign Marcus Johansson

28 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

Hate to say it, but they're going to have a heck of a team in SEA. 

Eberle

Schwartz

Gourde

Wennberg

Donskoi

M. Johansson

B. Tanev

McCann

Jarnkrok

Appleton

Giordano

Oleksiak

Larsson

Soucy

Grubauer

just as Gary wanted.

I don't mind the parity, it might end up helping us but really the Pacific is wide open this year. Should be a fun year. 

• Cheers 2

Still a little surprised they didn't do more to maximize assets or to sign players, but I did think they have the pieces to be a sneaky good team.  Can't see them being contenders but they also shouldn't get rolled over every night.  Like Vegas, they are pretty weak at C and don't quite have the winger depth to mitigate that weakness, but we could see some guys like Appleton and Geekie end up producing more than expected.

Curious if Francis is saving cap room for next summer.  With the flat cap continuing (or at least no significant cap increase), having ample cap room next offseason might provide similar opportunities that ARI has capitalized on this year.

Marcus has fallen off quite a bit in the last two years. I don’t have his stats in front of me, I’m just talking about the way he looks on the ice. 

He didn’t look impressive at all in Minnesota’s playoff games that I watched. 

1 hour ago, NUCKER67 said:

Hate to say it, but they're going to have a heck of a team in SEA. 

Eberle

Schwartz

Gourde

Wennberg

Donskoi

M. Johansson

B. Tanev

McCann

Jarnkrok

Appleton

Giordano

Oleksiak

Larsson

Soucy

Grubauer

You forgot Lind!!! He might break out............................. or he might not!

2 hours ago, Canuck Surfer said:

Good enough down centre ice?

Valid question - but the same could have been asked about Vegas....(Haula, Eakin, Bellemare, *Karlsson - 25pt player before arriving in Vegas - but a solid uptick target...)

Seattle:

Gourde (36pts), Wennburg (29 pts), McCann (32pts) - with a number of other 'natural' centers in the mix - is a pretty good start.  3 x 'middle six' candidates....with some winger conversions...

Jarnkrok 34 pts.

Appleton 25 pts (yet another solid two way player)

Blackwell 22 pts.

Good depth on their blueline, good depth on their wings, good goaltending...good depth of secondary scoring centers.   Not easy to acquire a 1C, but still, there are other means to winning.

And Francis still has 14 million of cap in his pocket....so I think a lot of people will have slept/continue to sleep on Seattle...

Francis was forced to gameplan it differently than Vegas - but imo I would not prejudge what they're doing.

Edited by oldnews
  • Thanks 1
  • Cheers 2

On 8/6/2021 at 11:07 AM, oldnews said:

Valid question - but the same could have been asked about Vegas....(Haula, Eakin, Bellemare, *Karlsson - 25pt player before arriving in Vegas - but a solid uptick target...)

Seattle:

Gourde (36pts), Wennburg (29 pts), McCann (32pts) - with a number of other 'natural' centers in the mix - is a pretty good start.  3 x 'middle six' candidates....with some winger conversions...

Jarnkrok 34 pts.

Appleton 25 pts (yet another solid two way player)

Blackwell 22 pts.

Good depth on their blueline, good depth on their wings, good goaltending...good depth of secondary scoring centers.   Not easy to acquire a 1C, but still, there are other means to winning.

And Francis still has 14 million of cap in his pocket....so I think a lot of people will have slept/continue to sleep on Seattle...

Francis was forced to gameplan it differently than Vegas - but imo I would not prejudge what they're doing.

He should save that cap and go after big ufa next year. 

649, followed by Horvat, Garland, Hoglander, Pearson, Podkolzin, and Hughes, OEL….

is looking scary at this point. 

Hughes had 53 points in 68 games in his rookie season. Rookie season. OEL consistently 50 I think. Points galore. 

Can’t wait for the season to start.