The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[DEBATE] Which TEAM CANADA team are you taking?

Rate this topic

Which TEAM CANADA team are you taking?  

91 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

2002 Winter Olympics Team.

Can’t go wrong with 13 Hall of Famers.

Honourable mention: The 2005 World Junior team. This team absolutely dominated its tournament. Not even the powerhouse/favourites Russian could have stop this team.

Edited by shiznak
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

1987 is very tempting and I could be persuaded to change my mind, but I went with 2002 Salt Lake City. 2010 was pretty good too. Definitely teams from my personal experience weighing heavily here. Didn't watch any teams before the 2002 team.

• Upvote 1

2010 for me. Holds a special place in my heart obviously - a "where were you when" moment. I was tempted to go with 2002 as well. They were stacked - Prime Brodeur, Neidermayer, Stevens, MacInnis, Stevie Y, Sakic, Shanahan, Blake, Pronger, Iggy, Lemieux, Kariya and JOVO COP! I remember one goal in particular - Someone had passed it to Lemieux, and Mario, as if having eyes in the back of his head, faked the shot and let the pass slide through his legs to Paul Kariya who put it home into an empty net.

I think the 2010 team was probably the better team only because a lot of the 2002 legends were near the end of their career and the 2010 team was full of stars and future HOFers in their prime.

• Upvote 1

I cannot pick a favorite, just glad our players choose to represent Canada on the world stage

Definitely 1972 was the 1st and biggest emotionally for an entire country, with the schools showing the game in the gym as pointed out above

It wasn't the best team of the bunch, but it had the most drama and excitement 

• Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

Although 2010 holds a special place in my heart (I was at the actual gold medal game.......and Crosby’s gold medal winning goal is only second to Carter’s homer in 1993), I might have to go with the 2014 team.  They didn’t lose a single game if I recall correctly and completely dominated the field. No one scored more than one goal per game against us. Yzerman, in selecting that team, once again proved that he was nothing short of a hockey genius.

Edited by Patel Bure
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

Best Canadian team? This is the toughest one yet.  I finally picked the ‘87 team because, well, any team that has Gretzky and Lemieux. Yes the ‘72 team was missing Orr (injured) and Hull (stupid NHL pride) but the ‘87 team didn’t have Yzerman or Denis Savard either.  

But for best series it’s not even close. The ‘72 Canada Cup was so much more than hockey, it was about a way of life. They were representing the free world against the hated Commies in the middle of the Cold War. Remember seeing old grainy footage of people gathered around old clunky radios to here news broadcasts during the WW2? That’s what it was like in Canada during this series. The country stopped and held it’s breath because losing was not an option. Every other series was just hockey.

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

'87 for me too.  3 games, all 6 - 5, with #s 66 and 99 vs the KLM line at its peak.

I bought the VHS boxed set,  and that's the only reason I still have my VCR hooked up - for occasional rewatches

Here's THN on the 30th anniversary ...

https://www.si.com/hockey/news/thirty-years-later-1987-canada-cup-still-represents-the-best-hockey-ever-played

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

5 hours ago, -AJ- said:

1987 is very tempting and I could be persuaded to change my mind, but I went with 2002 Salt Lake City. 2010 was pretty good too. Definitely teams from my personal experience weighing heavily here. Didn't watch any teams before the 2002 team.

That's pretty much how I went.

I saw some of the teams from the mid 90s, the 'replay' of the 87 game but 2002 was just... magnificent. That roster, top to bottom, was unreal.

Pronger between the legs of Lemieux who faked receiving the pass blind to let it slide through to a wide-open Paul Kariya (who should have been there in 98, **** Gary Suter for intentionally injuring him just before) to bury it past the now-out-of-position (thanks to Lemieux fake) Richter and the most talented US team to ever lace up to this point... that was something else.

2010 has "nostalgia" factor, winning it in OT at home, but I'd take the 2002 TEAM over the 2010 TEAM, even if the 2010 WIN was "bigger".

I hummed and hawwed on the 87 vs 2002 thing though... Oh that's a toughie. I went with 2002 but I already want to change my answer... but then I'd want to change it back.

Watch the 2002 game in its entirety. It's on youtube somewhere (I cant grab it right now) and it's one of the best HOCKEY GAMES ever.

Bob Cole: "Sakic and Yzerman, how about that duo?"

That should tell you all you need to know.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1