The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Red Wings re-sign Jakub Vrana

8 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Good signing.  Never heard of this guy, but it’s Stevie ‘Wonder Boy’ Yzerman making the deal.  It’s got to be great, no?  

Going to be a star in my opinion. Already fringe top line talent 

• Like 2

He was already producing well in Washington before being traded to Detroit.  His first couple seasons, he would produce really well earlier part of season then trail off.  Last season he seemed more consistent.  I think Detroit's going to surprise this year.  Maybe nor a playoff spot but knocking on the door for sure.   

15 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Good signing.  Never heard of this guy, but it’s Stevie ‘Wonder Boy’ Yzerman making the deal.  It’s got to be great, no?  

alfie surely you’re not serious?

https://www.nhl.com/player/jakub-vrana-8477944
worst deal Washington made last year trading this guy.

• Like 1

Looks like Stevie Y capitulated and gave Vrana what he and his agent were asking for.  If I'm not mistaken, Detroit was initially offering something in the 3's and Vrana and his agent were asking for $5.25M (sorry, I don't have a source, but remember reading about this a day or two ago).

I thought Stevie Y was low-balling, so Vrana at $5.25M cap hit seems reasonable to me.

• Cheers 2

Vrana has been a ghost in the playoffs, but that probably won’t matter for Detroit in the next couple of years. But that could be the reason Yzerman didn’t try to lock him in longer term. He doesn’t look like a guy you can win with when the pressure is on.

12 minutes ago, bigbadcanucks said:

Looks like Stevie Y capitulated and gave Vrana what he and his agent were asking for.  If I'm not mistaken, Detroit was initially offering something in the 3's and Vrana and his agent were asking for $5.25M (sorry, I don't have a source, but remember reading about this a day or two ago).

I thought Stevie Y was low-balling, so Vrana at $5.25M cap hit seems reasonable to me.

Friedman posted something similar too yesterday and I had similar thoughts when I saw the official announcement. $5.25M x 3 is reasonable for Vrana's potential to be Top Line talent. I wished that the Capitals kept him but they saw the need for Mantha's size, scoring, and "playoff grit" upfront to complement Ovie and Co. 

Could this have been the post you saw?

• Thanks 1

If you believe the Washington media they let this guy go because a) there were significant 'red flags' regarding his compete level and b) they had reason to believe he was looking for a significant ask on his next contract. 

In my view he doesn't seem like a core guy you build around but Yzerman seems to believe he's worth it so...

1 hour ago, CaptKirk888 said:

alfie surely you’re not serious?

https://www.nhl.com/player/jakub-vrana-8477944
worst deal Washington made last year trading this guy.

Lol so true.

I'm pretty sure they traded Vrana because they weren't sure they would be able to fit him under the cap so they traded him for Larkin who had a guaranteed contract. Then Vrana signed for less haha.

1 hour ago, CaptKirk888 said:

Don’t disagree but you didn’t really answer me. Too much cat?

I suspect Alf just doesn't keep up with other teams in the league much.

Looks like a good deal IMO. Vrana should be good for 30+ goals and 60+ points for the next few years at least I'd think.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, CanuckinEdm said:

Lol so true.

I'm pretty sure they traded Vrana because they weren't sure they would be able to fit him under the cap so they traded him for Larkin who had a guaranteed contract. Then Vrana signed for less haha.

Yes but it was Anthony Mantha they traded for, not Larkin. If it was Larkin it would have been more acceptable considering what the paid in trade

1 hour ago, -AJ- said:

I suspect Alf just doesn't keep up with other teams in the league much.

Looks like a good deal IMO. Vrana should be good for 30+ goals and 60+ points for the next few years at least I'd think.

Great deal for Detroit, massive overpayment by Washington in the original trade.

0 points in his last 15 playoff games.  Doesn't look like a playoff performer which is why Washington traded him for the big body in Mantha.  Will be a top 6 regular in Detriot, 60 point guy.  But he is not going to be a difference maker when the real games begin.  But then again Detroit may not be in the playoffs for awhile so it's a mute point as Vrana will be a UFA in 3 years anyways.

Detriot got a 1st and 2nd in the deal as well so Yzerman got a guy to replace Mantha in the top 6 plus the 2 picks, so overall it was a good trade for Detroit in terms of building their future core.

Edited by Elias Pettersson

6 hours ago, Fanuck said:

If you believe the Washington media they let this guy go because a) there were significant 'red flags' regarding his compete level and b) they had reason to believe he was looking for a significant ask on his next contract. 

In my view he doesn't seem like a core guy you build around but Yzerman seems to believe he's worth it so...

I think more or less, you can market Vrana to the fans and make some sort of income. With that being said I think the term is probably reflective of when the teams probably thinks it will complete in the playoffs again, IMO.