The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] Arizona could deal Christian Dvorak - reject Bruins offer

8 hours ago, AK_19 said:

It would be crazy to trade 3 1st round picks in a row but I'd see the roster as:

Miller Pete Boeser

Pearson Horvat Garland

Hoglander Dvorak Podkolzin

Highmore Dickenson Sutter

Chychrun Myers

OEL Hamonic

Joulevi Poolman

I have no idea how we'd have the cap space to sign Boeser/Horvat/Miller in the following years though.

This; and it probably approved in NHL 21.

10 hours ago, HKSR said:

Would you? Would you?

To VAN:

Dvorak

Chychrun

To ARZ:

Hughes

Motte

2022 1st Round pick

2022 3rd Round pick

Boeser-Petey-Miller

Garland-Dvorak-Podkolzin

Pearson-Bo-Hoglander

Dickinson-Sutter-Highmore

A part of me wants to see Quinn traded just so the ones who don't appreciate what we have in this kid.

He's gonna have seasons where he's a ppg but because of one miserable 19 game stretch where lets be honest the whole team was bad but at least he put up points.

Dvorak isn't a need here regardless and would cost us one of Horvat, Brock or JT when their deals are up.

• Vintage 1

8 hours ago, King Heffy said:

You're really underrating Chychrun.

He's a hell of a Dman no doubt but Quinn is dynamic and is 2 years younger.

Not the greatest way to compare but Chychruns 20 and 21-year-old seasons he had 14 and 20 points and has yet to play 60+ games twice in a season. Yes points aren't everything but there's a reason the best defensive dman just signed for 8 years at under 6 while the offensive guys are getting 9+.

Quinn only needs to be average defensively considering how high his ceiling is offensively.

But if we did have to move him Chych would be a good consolation prize.

• Vintage 1

10 hours ago, HKSR said:

Would you? Would you?

To VAN:

Dvorak

Chychrun

To ARZ:

Hughes

Motte

2022 1st Round pick

2022 3rd Round pick

Boeser-Petey-Miller

Garland-Dvorak-Podkolzin

Pearson-Bo-Hoglander

Dickinson-Sutter-Highmore

It's honestly a very fair deal, might even be a steal too for us.  For what he brings, I'd argue Chychrun (an all-round workhorse on the back end) for Hughes (elite offensive D-man) could be a wash, and 1st/ 3rd/ Motte would be good value for a cost-controlled young (only 25) C/ LW in Dvorak who's an all-round top-6 center.  Honestly I'd trade Dvorak to recoup some picks and blue-chippers if we want to re-sign Miller/ Boeser/ Horvat [I'd personally leave all the other parts, e.g. picks/ Motte/ Dvorak out] but we'd be really stacked if we could trade Hughes for Chychrun (he was the Coyotes' MVP last season).

Chychrun - Myers (primary shutdown pair, though Myers would be able to take on more offensive duties)
OEL - Hamonic (Hammer can cover OEL and let him take the offensive reins)
Rathbone - Poolman (same as the pairs above, except they'd face lesser offensive groups) 
Rathbone

Edited by Phil_314

15 hours ago, Teemu Selänne said:

Wow Travis Boyd getting no cred

Oh damn forgot Boyd signed there. We didn't sign him to one of the best contracts on the team in FA, he was a waiver pick up, hope you can see where I was confused on this. The top 6 will be deep now adding Boyd into the mix :bigblush:

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, Alienhuggyflow said:

Not the greatest way to compare but Chychruns 20 and 21-year-old seasons he had 14 and 20 points and has yet to play 60+ games twice in a season. Yes points aren't everything but there's a reason the best defensive dman just signed for 8 years at under 6 while the offensive guys are getting 9+.

Quinn only needs to be average defensively considering how high his ceiling is offensively.

Personally I'd rather a defensive guy regardless of salary.  

• Like 1

I could see a trade with Q. Hughes +2nd for Dvorak and Chychrun  

Miller Dvorak Garland 

Hoglander Pettersson Boesser

Pearson Horvat Podkolzin 

Motte Dickenson Sutter

OEL Hamonic 

Chychrun Poolman 

Juolevi Myers

Rathbone Schenn 

Edited by kenhodgejr
  • Like 1
  • Wat 1
  • RoughGame 1

8 hours ago, Phil_314 said:

It's honestly a very fair deal, might even be a steal too for us.  For what he brings, I'd argue Chychrun (an all-round workhorse on the back end) for Hughes (elite offensive D-man) could be a wash, and 1st/ 3rd/ Motte would be good value for a cost-controlled young (only 25) C/ LW in Dvorak who's an all-round top-6 center.  Honestly I'd trade Dvorak to recoup some picks and blue-chippers if we want to re-sign Miller/ Boeser/ Horvat [I'd personally leave all the other parts, e.g. picks/ Motte/ Dvorak out] but we'd be really stacked if we could trade Hughes for Chychrun (he was the Coyotes' MVP last season).

Chychrun - Myers (primary shutdown pair, though Myers would be able to take on more offensive duties)
Rathbone - Poolman (same as the pairs above, except they'd face lesser offensive groups) 
Rathbone

I think this is a classic case of homerism.  Quinn Hughes is an incredible offensive defenceman, but he will never be an elite all-around defenceman.  He just doesn't have the size or strength for it.  To survive in the NHL, he literally uses his shiftiness to get away from other players rather than engage with them.  He even talked about knowing he is not exactly a physical specimen during the interviews with the Hughes brothers on draft day this year.

Meanwhile, Chychrun is severely being underrated by CDCers here.  He is literally realizing the potential that was there that had him projected early on as a Top 3 draft pick (perhaps even 1st overall).  He was on pace for 60pts and 26 goals(!) this past season if it were an 82 game schedule.  He's 6'2" 210lbs, skates really well, has a cannon of a shot, and isn't afraid of engaging with the opposition either.

Like you, in my mind, Hughes and Chychrun are basically a wash... but some CDCers will never see that unless Chychrun was a Canuck.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, HKSR said:

I think this is a classic case of homerism.  Quinn Hughes is an incredible offensive defenceman, but he will never be an elite all-around defenceman.  He just doesn't have the size or strength for it.  To survive in the NHL, he literally uses his shiftiness to get away from other players rather than engage with them.  He even talked about knowing he is not exactly a physical specimen during the interviews with the Hughes brothers on draft day this year.

Meanwhile, Chychrun is severely being underrated by CDCers here.  He is literally realizing the potential that was there that had him projected early on as a Top 3 draft pick (perhaps even 1st overall).  He was on pace for 60pts and 26 goals(!) this past season if it were an 82 game schedule.  He's 6'2" 210lbs, skates really well, has a cannon of a shot, and isn't afraid of engaging with the opposition either.

Like you, in my mind, Hughes and Chychrun are basically a wash... but some CDCers will never see that unless Chychrun was a Canuck.

Chychrun is a legit 1D, all situations guy who is still improving.  I'd go a step further and call him an upgrade over Hughes.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

13 hours ago, Phil_314 said:

Rathbone

I didn't realize until now but chychrun actually put up 41 points (18 of them goals) in 56 games... 

Those are top 6 forward numbers. I'd rather have chychrun take on offensive duties over myers

2 minutes ago, Dats hockey said:

Hey buddy,

Chychrun 9 Playoff games 1 Goal 0 Assists

Hughes 17 playoff games 2Goals 14 Assists

Small sample size.  I also am not arguing that Hughes isn't better offensively.  Where Chychrun surpasses Hughes is with his size and defensive play.  

• Like 1
  • Vintage 1

36 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

Small sample size.  I also am not arguing that Hughes isn't better offensively.  Where Chychrun surpasses Hughes is with his size and defensive play.  

I don’t watch Arizona enough to make a deep analysis of this I just get stats advanced stats and highlight. But I’ve seen enough of Hughes to know how good he is. 2 years into his career… whats Chychrun? 5 years? Nothing special he’s done?

15 hours ago, Alienhuggyflow said:

Unfortunately Hughes is not even close to average defensively yet. He has a lot of work to do there.

Also, in what world is 3 goals by a one way dman who cant play D considered "dynamic" while 18 goals by another dman that can also play defense is somehow inferior? Both of them are very good offensive players.

How much higher is Hughes offensive ceiling in reality though? Point per game? He is already about there. At the expense of playing any semblance of defense. To turn him into even an average defensive player its entirely possible his offense actually drops off some. And thats ok because to be a true toppairing guy he needs to be at least average defensively. I think he can do it over time but he is a defensive liability right now. Hence the need for OEL according to Benning.

If Arizona offered Chychrun for Hughes straight up Benning would be a fool not to take that deal at this point.

Trading Hughes for the sake of it is a stupid move. Thats very different than trading him for a better overall player though. And at thispont, Chychrun is the better overall player.

Edited by wallstreetamigo
  • Cheers 3