The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

What If QH and EP signed for $8M AAV? A Look at 2021-22 to 2023-24

Rate this topic

HKSR

Just now, #Canucks said:

Quinn is 21 on 8x$8M AAV He would be 29 where as if he would wait he would get maybe 10M plus at 25. Same thing goes with Pettersson.

Maybe, maybe not.  If they feel that they could basically be Top 10 in their position in the entire league by 25, then yep, they could take that gamble.  If they sign a 3 or 4 year deal, I suspect they would have to expect less.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, HKSR said:

Maybe, maybe not.  If they feel that they could basically be Top 10 in their position in the entire league by 25, then yep, they could take that gamble.  If they sign a 3 or 4 year deal, I suspect they would have to expect less.

Fair Enough. There are so many options. 1yr, 4/5 year or even an 8 year!

• Cheers 1

20 minutes ago, HKSR said:

So I was curious what things would look like if the Canucks were to sign both of our superstars to long-term $8M AAV deals.

Here's what I got:

The cap rising $1M in 2022-23 is significant for the Canucks.  Gives them just enough wiggle room moving forward.  That's even with big extensions for our other core guys:

Brock at $7.5M AAV

Bo at $7M AAV

JT at $7.5M AAV

Hogs at $4.5M AAV

I did look past 2024, but there's way too many variables to forecast properly.  The cap could well move up by a good margin then.

All I'm saying here is that this team can stay together and compete for at least 3 years.  Even if the superstars get paid big at $8M AAV each. 

In other words, Petey, get signed up and get ready to win. 

Cap202526new.jpg.d8ab05a36e8d0509fba6947ec391d2e1.jpg

I think you have done a pretty good job with this. I don't know that the Canucks would be comfortable with a 22 man roster but they might be. You have also dropped Pearson off the 23/24 season (final season of current contract) so there may be a challenge there to get under the cap.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

I think you're pretty close. Dickinson will be somewhere between 2 - 2.25 million IMO, just based on what other comparable players are signing for. At the moment, if we could wrap up Hughes and Pettersson at 8 million each for 8 years each, I think if I was JB, I'd probably take that deal.

2 minutes ago, VegasCanuck said:

I think you're pretty close. Dickinson will be somewhere between 2 - 2.25 million IMO, just based on what other comparable players are signing for. At the moment, if we could wrap up Hughes and Pettersson at 8 million each for 8 years each, I think if I was JB, I'd probably take that deal.

You take those deals and run. I kind of feel EP would be a bit underpaid and Q a bit overpaid but great deal altogether. 

11 minutes ago, Rick Blight said:

I think you have done a pretty good job with this. I don't know that the Canucks would be comfortable with a 22 man roster but they might be. You have also dropped Pearson off the 23/24 season (final season of current contract) so there may be a challenge there to get under the cap.

Ah... the benefits of the farm team being in Abbotsford.  Emergency call ups from the minors are a thing of the past.

Pearson dropped off, but Klimovich was added in.

1 minute ago, HKSR said:

Ah... the benefits of the farm team being in Abbotsford.  Emergency call ups from the minors are a thing of the past.

Pearson dropped off, but Klimovich was added in.

I understand Klimovich is in for Pearson but Pearson is still under contract for that season. We would somehow have to deal with that to get under the cap.

6 minutes ago, Rick Blight said:

I understand Klimovich is in for Pearson but Pearson is still under contract for that season. We would somehow have to deal with that to get under the cap.

Oh I see what you mean, yeah, I basically traded him away lol. 

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

This conveyor belt of arriving ELC's is a beautiful thing..heck, Hot Chocolate wrote a song about it..."I believe in ELC's..where ya' from, YOU SEXXY thing!"

I have it on good authority(moles in their Nagoya office) that TOYOTA is meticulously studying Jimbo's drafting youth-handiwork, for conveyor tips, more consistency & insights. Wow!

• Haha 3

41 minutes ago, DrJockitch said:

You take those deals and run. I kind of feel EP would be a bit underpaid and Q a bit overpaid but great deal altogether. 

Yup, somebody get Jim on the phone, tell him we've got it all worked out, just need him to sign ;)

28 minutes ago, VegasCanuck said:

Yup, somebody get Jim on the phone, tell him we've got it all worked out, just need him to sign ;)

I don't think it's JB we'd have to convince to get this kind of deal - it would be Barry/Brisson that would hesitate as their clients would be giving up valuable UFA years. 

• Cheers 1

I personally think we're going to sign them for somewhere about 8.25 million each. I was hoping for lower, but so many GM's seem to have forgotten about there being a flat cap, they are driving the costs up.

I think Dickinson at 2.25 million and I think our lineup for the season will look pretty close to this:

Miller Pettersson Boeser

Pearson Horvat Garland

Hoglander Dickinson Podkolzin

Highmore Sutter Motte

MacEwan

OEL Poolman

Hughes Hamonic

Juolevi Myers

Schenn

Demko

Halak

With Ferland on LTIR, that gives us about 1.1 million flexibility on the cap, and you KNOW someone is going to get injured in camp and start the season on LTIR.

I've estimated, baring injury on defense during camp, that Rathbone will start the season in Abbotsford as first call up.

I think that's a pretty balanced lineup and "should" be a playoff team. We should be playing at a much higher pace this coming season and Schenn rolls into the lineup in place of Juolevi, when we need a little more hitting on the back end.

Should be a fun season!

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Fanuck said:

I don't think it's JB we'd have to convince to get this kind of deal - it would be Barry/Brisson that would hesitate as their clients would be giving up valuable UFA years. 

You would be correct. Although we would sign that without thinking, I think a more realistic would be that they take bridge deals in the 7.5 - 8.25 million range each, for about 2 - 3 years and then sign their 8 year deals to take them into their 30's.

1 hour ago, #Canucks said:

Quinn is 21 on 8x$8M AAV He would be 29 where as if he would wait he would get maybe 10M plus at 25. Same thing goes with Pettersson.

Umm.  Ok i guess then they'd really be superstars.   And we can say darn it guess it was fun while it lasted. 

• Cheers 1

25 minutes ago, VegasCanuck said:

I personally think we're going to sign them for somewhere about 8.25 million each. I was hoping for lower, but so many GM's seem to have forgotten about there being a flat cap, they are driving the costs up.

I think Dickinson at 2.25 million and I think our lineup for the season will look pretty close to this:

Miller Pettersson Boeser

Pearson Horvat Garland

Hoglander Dickinson Podkolzin

Highmore Sutter Motte

MacEwan

OEL Poolman

Hughes Hamonic

Juolevi Myers

Schenn

Demko

Halak

With Ferland on LTIR, that gives us about 1.1 million flexibility on the cap, and you KNOW someone is going to get injured in camp and start the season on LTIR.

Whoa..that's a pretty spiffy look.

Thanks for the number-crunching. Hope it's a bullseye.

• Cheers 1