The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[DEBATE] Which VANCOUVER CANUCKS team are you taking?

Rate this topic

Elias Pettersson

Which VANCOUVER CANUCKS team are you taking?  

105 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Which VANCOUVER CANUCKS team are you taking?

Which team is the greatest one of them all?

Roger Neilson waves the white flag?  Trevor Linden, "He will play"?  Alex Burrows, "They slayed the dragon"?  Who you got?  

Okay, here we go.  This should be fun!!!  :frantic:

Edited by Elias Pettersson
  • Vintage 1

93-94 easily.   They were cheated out of that cup while the 2011 team simply was too weak-kneed to fight to the end due to too many soft players on the team and in the end swedish finesse proved no match for sheer Canadian player grit and determination which Boston had plenty of.

• Haha 1
  • Wat 3
  • RoughGame 6

I wish I could recall where, but I read an article outlining the odds of an NHL team winning a cup, considering a number of statistical categories, if they were legitimately the top team. Because hockey is a sport with a high random variance, the chances are actually quite low.

With that in mind, let's put it this way: if the 2011 playoffs were re-done 10 times, I'm betting on the Canucks to win every time. There's no way they don't pull it off 5, 6, 7 + of those 10 retries. So, according to my math, they should have won 3/4 of time, 100% of the time. The fact that they didn't win just demonstrates what it means to be a Canucks fan. 

Honorable mention to the 2003 team. They had as much business losing to Minnesota as I have business being obsessed with hockey rn when I'm supposed to be working. 

• Upvote 1

2010-11 team for me....

They were just so good. Can be debated to the cows comes in, that they didn't have what it takes to win a cup, but they were such a good team.

The biggest surprise how easily they folded in the playoffs the year after... Yes they could have been done with more muscle ala Torres.... 

• Cheers 2
  • Vintage 1

28 minutes ago, spook007 said:

The biggest surprise how easily they folded in the playoffs the year after... Yes they could have been done with more muscle ala Torres.... 

Kings were no slouch (as they rolled over every other team in the postseason).  Plus, we went in short handed after that Duncan Keith elbow to the head of Daniel late in that season.  Though he was able to play later on that series, I doubt he was 100%.  Not saying we would’ve beaten those Kings but we would’ve probably put up a better showing.

• Cheers 2

Just now, NewbieCanuckFan said:

Kings were no slouch (as they rolled over every other team in the postseason).  Plus, we went in short handed after that Duncan Keith elbow to the head of Daniel late in that season.  Though he was able to play later on that series, I doubt he was 100%.  Not saying we would’ve beaten those Kings but we would’ve probably put up a better showing.

True...

I think, the team was broken from the previous years cup final...

Even without Danny, I would have expected a better showing from the team that took the Presidents trophy two years on the trot...

Water under the bridge, and that time holds special memories for me. Shear joy watching that team in action.

To this day I still think, if we had had Rick Rypien on our team, we would have walked Bruins...

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

'94 for me.  That team was so likeable.  As good as the 2011 team was, players like Raffi Torres and Max Lapierre tainted things a little for me.  Still cheered hard for them, and was so pissed when they lost to Boston.  

I have a vivid memory from May of 1994.  I was 17, and at the Super Value at Como Lake Village shopping mall in Coquitlam, buying some food to go camping.  I noticed this tall, gangly looking guy walking ahead of me.  He was limping noticeably, and looked incredibly skinny.  As we both approached the check out counter, he turned and we made eye contact. 

Greg Adams!  I was a little star struck, and very shocked at how gaunt and tired he looked.  All I could think to say was "Good luck tomorrow".  His eyes lit up, he thanked me with a smile, and limped away.

The next day, the Canucks came back from a 3-0 deficit to beat the Leafs in double overtime of game 5 to win the series 4-1.  That bag of skin and bones, Greg Adams, scored the tying goal, and the winning goal, which became one of the greatest sound bites in Canucks history after a great call by Jim Robson.

Edited by thundernuts
  • Like 2
  • Cheers 1

8 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

After much thought I went with the 1993-1994 team.  The memories of that series are greater for me than any other year.  Yes, other teams had a better regular season, but the playoff run of 1994 pushed that team over the top for me.

Here is a rare interview of Pavel Bure talking about that 1994 playoff run:

And I will always believe that if that game 7 hadn't been delayed by the one day, that team would have won the cup, that delay saved the Rangers collective butts!! So to me they are the team that came closest to winning it all, they should have won that series!!

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

2010-2011 team hands down.

I know they get a lot of flack for the perception that they choked or were too soft, but this was not the case at all.

When that 2011 team got to the finals, they were simply beat up physically and had significant injuries to 6 of their top 9 forwards and 4 of their top 6 defensemen.  

Outside of that, the Canucks dominated almost every single statistical category that year.  

2010-2011 team was hands down our best team of all-time, and quite possibly one of the top 100 teams in the NHL history.  

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2

3 minutes ago, Patel Bure said:

2010-2011 team hands down.

I know they get a lot of flack for the perception that they choked or were too soft, but this was not the case at all.

When that 2011 team got to the finals, they were simply beat up physically and had significant injuries to 6 of their top 9 forwards and 4 of their top 6 defensemen.  

Outside of that, the Canucks dominated almost every single statistical category that year.  

2010-2011 team was hands down our best team of all-time, and quite possibly one of the top 100 teams in the NHL history.  

Yup.

2011 team beats Boston in 70-80 / 100 games if both teams are healthy and the refereeing made sense.

Statistically the best team in franchise history and one of the best in recent history league-wide.

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, kanucks25 said:

Yup.

2011 team beats Boston in 70-80 / 100 games if both teams are healthy and the refereeing made sense.

Statistically the best team in franchise history and one of the best in recent history league-wide.

Absolutely.   I am of the belief that the Canucks-Bruins series would have played out similarly to the 2013 Chicago/Boston series had both teams been relatively healthy (or of similar health).   Even those first two games of the 2011 finals, the Canucks looked like they still had a little bit of health left and defeated Boston in two close games.   January 7th 2012 game, Canucks defeated the Bruins and scored 4 goals on Tim Thomas.  

Bruins tried to goon it up, the refs penalized the Bruins, and then the Canucks pistol whipped the Bruins on the PP in that game.