The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Cherrypicking Boston's drafting from 2015-Present

Rate this topic

Dazzle

Just now, higgyfan said:

Not very high in the picking order = higher risks with the later picks.

It's still relative. They picked badly. 

We had late picks under gillis and picked badly with those picks up until whatever 2012 or 2013 when he revamped the scouting department 

39 minutes ago, Tom Sestito said:

It's still relative. They picked badly. 

We had late picks under gillis and picked badly with those picks up until whatever 2012 or 2013 when he revamped the scouting department 

I don't know if his revamping of the scouting department did much. The only notable picks that Gillis hit (that played for the Canucks) were Hodgson, Hutton and Horvat. Triple Hs. Horvat was the final first round pick he made, and the rest of his players that year did absolutely nothing. Was there any evidence that he helped improve the drafting? It's doubtful.

The rest were traded away before they could even play, or they never amounted to anything.

11 hours ago, Dazzle said:

It's been more than 10 years after their Stanley Cup win. An argument has been made that winning teams give up prospects to be competitive. Boston is no doubt competitive, but their scouting/draft/developing has taken quite a nosedive, especially (but not exclusively) due to Benning leaving.

For the purposes of our short examination, we will ignore 2021, 2020, and 2019 for now. Few teams right now have players that are in the NHL for these years. The fact that we could have Hoglander in our spot in 2019 was FANTASTIC and an anomaly.

But as you look down this page for Boston's picks, you'll start to see a theme - picks that aren't panning out in hindsight. IMO, I think Boston's not going to have enough quality prospects that will replace their main roster. In other words, we should see them on the decline sooner rather than later. I could totally be wrong, but good teams generally build their team through drafting. One cannot say that Boston has been doing a good job in recent years.

2017 was absolutely horrific for Boston. 2015 could also be a notable mention (as most of us already realize) that they had THREE CONSECUTIVE FIRST ROUND PICKS.  They also largely missed with their THREE second round picks, aside from Brandon Carlo. But if Brandon Carlo is your best player from that draft, aside from DeBrusk - I think one can safely say that draft is a big L.

Now going back to their more recent picks, I think the players, given their positions in the draft, are GENERALLY going to be misses, but maybe they'll surprise. Given their track record, I think they, as a team, are very much trending downward.

image.thumb.png.67dc9796314e6e3b8c2bda4a63539d95.png

Thanks for the work.

If I had the time it would be great to compare all teams drafting in the last 10 years.

They only had 1 pick in the top 10 in that time at number 9 and that was Hamilton.

• Cheers 1

19 hours ago, Zhukini said:

The real travesty is the directions the two teams since 2011 have taken since the final. 

Well in all fairness, our 2011 core was drafted from ‘99-04 Bostons core was drafted in ‘06 so this is right around the time where Vancouvers core began to diminish and subsequently lead to us relying on the Sedins for far too many years

Edited by knucklehead91

9 hours ago, Ilunga said:

Thanks for the work.

If I had the time it would be great to compare all teams drafting in the last 10 years.

They only had 1 pick in the top 10 in that time at number 9 and that was Hamilton.

Go see the thread Draft Edition: Benning vs the world. Ive already done the work and put it all together. However just to warn you, its a lllllllot of reading

• Thanks 1

Bad drafting or good drafting 

A cup at 2011 and two finals appearance I guess the Bruins organization and fans has this to say ...

If Canucks won the cup in 2011 we would be saying the same thing even with how bad the drafting was 

• Upvote 1