The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Afghanistan War With USA Ends After 20 Years as Last US Troop Leave Kabul

DonLever

Taliban take Kandahar, Herat in major Afghanistan offensive (msn.com)

KABUL, Afghanistan (AP) — The Taliban captured Afghanistan's third-largest city and a strategic provincial capital near Kabul on Thursday, further squeezing the country's embattled government just weeks before the end of the American military mission there.

The seizure of Herat marks the biggest prize yet for the Taliban, who have taken 11 of Afghanistan's 34 provincial capitals as part of a weeklong blitz. Taliban fighters rushed past the Great Mosque in the historic city — which dates to 500 BC and was once a spoil of Alexander the Great — and seized government buildings. Witnesses described hearing sporadic gunfire at one government building while the rest of the city fell silent under the insurgents' control.

The capture of Ghazni, meanwhile, cuts off a crucial highway linking the Afghan capital with the country's southern provinces, which similarly find themselves under assault as part of an insurgent push some 20 years after U.S. and NATO troops invaded and ousted the Taliban government.

While Kabul itself isn't directly under threat yet, the losses and the battles elsewhere further tighten the grip of a resurgent Taliban, who are estimated to now hold over two-thirds of the country and are continuing to pressure government forces in several other provincial capitals.

Edited by DonLever
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1
  • Huggy Bear 1

5 minutes ago, Alflives said:

According to the NY Times, Biden is trying to negotiate with the Taliban to not attack the US Embassy.  Very sad what’s going on in Afghanistan.  

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/08/12/us/politics/taliban-afghanistan-us-embassy.html

Negotiating with terrorists seems like a smart thing. Biden sure messed this situation up something bad. 

• Cheers 2
  • Wat 1

5 minutes ago, Slegr said:

Negotiating with terrorists seems like a smart thing. Biden sure messed this situation up something bad. 

I know Biden takes the heat for this (he’s the President) but the people advising him on this matter need to be replaced.  

• Cheers 1

4 minutes ago, Slegr said:

Calling them terrorists is so early 2000’s more like violent opposition.. 

The problem with the Taliban and government is they’re both corrupt and not serving of their peoples but only themselves… one is medieval and other is weak puppet of the west. 

The fact people don’t trust either and would rather flee says something about current state of affairs there. 

The place needs another revolution or something too bad the world doesn’t care enough and Average afghani suffers especially the women and children. 

The US has been under pressure to leave Afghanistan for a decade now, for monetary reasons and humanitarian reasons. You can't blame this on one administration. This was the expected outcome without US intervention. People in Kabul had good lives, women could drive cars and had some independence, despite the pain and suffering caused by the war it did some good things. I hope everyone can get out, but Pakistan is the closest border and they'll probably send the people back to be slaughtered.

• Cheers 1
  • Wat 1

14 minutes ago, Slegr said:

On one hand if the Americans stay, you've got a skyrocketing budget and soldier deaths but *hopefully* security/stability.  On the other, you leave and no longer have to worry about soldier deaths, budget concerns but the situation you have now.  

It's a tough situation either way.  

Has anyone taken a total look at all the countries that US has "brought freedom" to over the last 20-30 years and what has happened to their standards of living?  

I'm talking Libya, Syria, Iraq, Afghanistan, Venezuela, Bolivia, Yugoslavia, and even Haiti.  People are here putting themselves on Democrat and Republican teams, meanwhile people in other countries suffer regardless of whose team is winning. 

Just now, VancouverHabitant said:

I'm talking Libya, Syria, Iraq, Afghanistan, Venezuela, Bolivia, Yugoslavia, and even Haiti.  People are here putting themselves on Democrat and Republican teams, meanwhile people in other countries suffer regardless of whose team is winning. 

Syria? Libya? Yugoslavia? How was any of this the Americans doing?

US doesn't know how to colonize properly. Its just all smash and grab for them. Everybody from Alexander the great to the British Empire used to win people over after spending a lot of time there and changing em. Somebody else needs to be world power

• Wat 1
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Kurgom said:

Syria? Libya? Yugoslavia? How was any of this the Americans doing?

"

In 2005, after a period of co-operation in the “War on Terror”, the Bush administration froze relations with Syria, a dictatorship. According to US cables released by WikiLeaks, the State Department then began to funnel money to opposition groups, including at least $6 million to the anti-government satellite channel Barada TV and the exile group Movement for Justice and Development in Syria, although this was denied by the channel.[402][403][404] This secret backing continued under the Obama administration until at least April 2009 when US diplomats expressed concern the funding would undermine US attempts to rebuild relations with Syrian President Bashar Al-Assad.[402]

In April 2011, after the outbreak of the Syrian civil war in early 2011, three "key U.S. Senators", Republicans John McCain and Lindsay Graham, and Independent Joe Lieberman, said in a joint statement, urged Obama to "state unequivocally" that "it is time to go".[405] In August, 2011, the U.S. government called on Syrian President Assad to "step aside" and imposed an oil embargo against the Syrian government to bring it to its knees.[406][407][408] Starting in 2013, the U.S. also provided training, weapons and cash to Syrian vetted "moderate" rebels,[409][410] and in 2014, the Supreme Military Council.[411][412] In 2015, Obama reaffirmed that "Assad must go".[413] " 

"Libya–United States relations refers to the bilateral relations between the State of Libya and the United States of America. ... When the Libyan civil war broke out in 2011, the United States took part in a military intervention in the conflict, aiding anti-Gaddafi rebels with air strikes against the Libyan Army." 

"From the period of 1998 to 2000, just over $100,000,000 was channeled from the U.S. State Department through Quangos to opposition parties in order to bring about a democratic end to the government of the long-standing president Slobodan Milošević in FR Yugoslavia.[375] Following issues regarding the results of the 2000 Yugoslavian general election, the U.S. State Department heavily supported opposition groups such as Otpor! through the supply of promotional material and also, consulting services via Quangos.[376] United States involvement served to speed up and organize dissent through exposure, resources, moral and material encouragement, technological aid and professional advice.[375] This campaign was one of the factors contributing to incumbent president's defeat in the 2000 Yugoslavian general election and subsequent Bulldozer Revolution which overthrew Milošević on October 5, 2000 after he refused to recognise the results of the election.[375] However, Milošević's presidency was succeeded by that of Vojislav Koštunica, who denounced the extradition of his predecessor to the Hague Tribunal, which he saw as an instrument of U.S. foreign policy, opposed NATO involvement in Kosovo, and "projected a hostile attitude toward the U.S".[377][378]"

So what has 20 years of US and Aliies military action accomplished?  Apparently nothing.  What happed to all the training and equipment given to the Afghan military.  Billions were spent.  The Afghan miliary should easily defeat a bunch of rag-tag poorly equipped soldiers.

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 2

Just now, DonLever said:

rag-tag poorly equipped soldiers.

Taliban has been armed well by Pakistan. They aren't in rags with ak's any more and haven't been for 5 or so years. They have actual combat suits with modern weapons.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, DonLever said:

So what has 20 years of US and Aliies military action accomplished?  Apparently nothing.  What happed to all the training and equipment given to the Afghan military.  Billions were spent.  The Afghan miliary should easily defeat a bunch of rag-tag poorly equipped soldiers.

I have read it went into Generals pockets. 

• Cheers 2

Long ago decided I wouldn't engage in geopolitical(or NA'n political) discourse on this fine, sporting site.

But it'll be a cold day in Hell that I'll ever accept(intellectually, as accepted truth) updates/info from the positively LAMEstream mass-media outlets, agencies, networks, etc...

There's a global, political shift underway, & most western folks will only come to grips with it, when viewed in farrr retrospect.

• Wat 2
  • Vintage 1

16 minutes ago, bishopshodan said:

I have read it went into Generals pockets. 

Hmmmm instead of renting to university students, I should try to target those generals when I rent out my apartment.  

What are we thinking that they'll be attracted to?  I'll mention that the building is concrete, built on a mountain and very private. 

10 minutes ago, Nuxfanabroad said:

Long ago decided I wouldn't engage in geopolitical(or NA'n political) discourse on this fine, sporting site.

But it'll be a cold day in Hell that I'll ever accept(intellectually, as accepted truth) updates/info from the positively LAMEstream mass-media outlets, agencies, networks, etc...

There's a global, political shift underway, & most western folks will only come to grips with it, when viewed in farrr retrospect.

Yeah I always kick myself for reading these threads.  

My Democracy Now days are long behind me.  Ignorance is bliss.