Jump to content
The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Afghanistan War With USA Ends After 20 Years as Last US Troop Leave Kabul


DonLever

Recommended Posts

Just got a flash news update that Canada is evacuating all Canadians from Afghanistan.  I don’t understand why these evacuations didn’t happen as soon as the US military announced they were pulling out?  Now it’s a race to get our people out safely.  

https://www.ctvnews.ca/politics/canada-sending-forces-to-close-afghan-embassy-official-1.5545436

 

Edited by Alflives
Link to comment
Share on other sites

42 minutes ago, Kurgom said:

Taliban has been armed well by Pakistan. They aren't in rags with ak's any more and haven't been for 5 or so years. They have actual combat suits with modern weapons.

The pictures we see on MSM show these Taliban fighters seemingly dressed in rags compared to the sharply dressed, body armored protected Afghan soldiers.   On the other hand, it doesn't  matter what they are dressed as long as there is a will to win.  Remember the Vietnam War where the Americans could still not figure out how they lost a war to a bunch of guys wearing "pyjamas".

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, bishopshodan said:

Part of their success is their ability to blend in with civilians.

When threatened they fall back and become part village/town, nobody rats them out because they 'know what's good for them'. 

Don’t forget that also have “Allah” backing them up.. as if he would support anything they’re doing… 

Edited by drummer4now
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, drummer4now said:

Don’t forget that also have “Allah” backing them up.. as if he would support what they’re doing… 

I don't know that dude but he sounds reasonable.

 

I know that there will be a wave of refugees...people that were just trying to live their lives, caught up in this mess...again continually. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, DonLever said:

So what has 20 years of US and Aliies military action accomplished?  Apparently nothing.  What happed to all the training and equipment given to the Afghan military.  Billions were spent.  The Afghan miliary should easily defeat a bunch of rag-tag poorly equipped soldiers.

Where do you think the Taliban got it's weapons from? 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, VancouverHabitant said:

Hmmmm instead of renting to university students, I should try to target those generals when I rent out my apartment.  

What are we thinking that they'll be attracted to?  I'll mention that the building is concrete, built on a mountain and very private. 

I'll rent it from you, @VancouverHabitant...though seeing how I'm a simple civilian, I may not qualify.

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, VancouverHabitant said:

Hmmmm instead of renting to university students, I should try to target those generals when I rent out my apartment.  

What are we thinking that they'll be attracted to?  I'll mention that the building is concrete, built on a mountain and very private. 

Does it have a helipad?

I think SPECTRE is looking for places.

Do you allow white long haired cats? 

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Kurgom said:

The US has been under pressure to leave Afghanistan for a decade now, for monetary reasons and humanitarian reasons. You can't blame this on one administration. This was the expected outcome without US intervention. People in Kabul had good lives, women could drive cars and had some independence, despite the pain and suffering caused by the war it did some good things. I hope everyone can get out, but Pakistan is the closest border and they'll probably send the people back to be slaughtered.

George W. Bush?


I have no idea who's the real owner of this throwaway account because this take from you is so utterly embarrassing. Truly American propaganda behind this.

Fact: The Americans were "pressured" by the UN not to invade the Middle East. Guess what they did?

 

Fact: Contrary to American propaganda, the Middle East was stable under dictators (not great lives, mind you), but stable. The actual presence of terrorists actually happened when US funded a bunch of rebels to help their cause. Guess what those guys turned into?

 

History has shown that the Americans have continued to do damage with their world police act. Worst of all, these atrocities are paid up by the American population, and fooled into thinking they are doing the "right thing".

 

The ones who profited are the arms manufacturers, and maybe some key military people, BUT not the soldiers.

  • Thanks 1
  • Cheers 3
  • Wat 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, DonLever said:

So what has 20 years of US and Aliies military action accomplished?  Apparently nothing.  What happed to all the training and equipment given to the Afghan military.  Billions were spent.  The Afghan miliary should easily defeat a bunch of rag-tag poorly equipped soldiers.

it's a good question - but what was the goal?

billions may have been spent - but how much was made? who made and who paid?  sometimes the means are the end....

and what is decades of occupation/control/in the political economy of oil, pipeline protection, worth? 

  • Cheers 3
  • Vintage 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

57 minutes ago, Dazzle said:

George W. Bush?


I have no idea who's the real owner of this throwaway account because this take from you is so utterly embarrassing. Truly American propaganda behind this.

Fact: The Americans were "pressured" by the UN not to invade the Middle East. Guess what they did?

 

Fact: Contrary to American propaganda, the Middle East was stable under dictators (not great lives, mind you), but stable. The actual presence of terrorists actually happened when US funded a bunch of rebels to help their cause. Guess what those guys turned into?

 

History has shown that the Americans have continued to do damage with their world police act. Worst of all, these atrocities are paid up by the American population, and fooled into thinking they are doing the "right thing".

 

The ones who profited are the arms manufacturers, and maybe some key military people, BUT not the soldiers.

Do you speak to any Iraqi or Afghani people? Why do people always equate the wars when they were completely different and you'd know if you talk to people from each country. :)

 

This reeks of white liberal with no actual knowledge taking a stupidly idealistic stance ignoring the history of the region and the mess the UK made. It's not "American propaganda" that the current regime falling will result in tragedy.

 

Afghanistan isn't the middle east. It's in Central Asia. Get some basic &^@#ing understanding before grouping together two giant nations because "brown muslim people" holy $&!#.

Edited by Kurgom
  • RoughGame 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, DonLever said:

The pictures we see on MSM show these Taliban fighters seemingly dressed in rags compared to the sharply dressed, body armored protected Afghan soldiers.   On the other hand, it doesn't  matter what they are dressed as long as there is a will to win.  Remember the Vietnam War where the Americans could still not figure out how they lost a war to a bunch of guys wearing "pyjamas".

And just like the VC the Afghans were experienced in conflict and knew their terrain and how to over come superior forces using it. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

23 minutes ago, oldnews said:

it's a good question - but what was the goal?

billions may have been spent - but how much was made? who made and who paid?  sometimes the means are the end....

and what is decades of occupation/control/in the political economy of oil, pipeline protection, worth? 

Originally? A Unical natural gas pipeline that went across most of the country. Hence the appointment of Hamid Karzai a former Unical exec (if I recall right) as leader. That went to $&!# fast. 

Edited by Gnarcore
Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, Kurgom said:

Do you speak to any Iraqi or Afghani people? Why do people always equate the wars when they were completely different and you'd know if you talk to people from each country. :)

 

This reeks of white liberal with no actual knowledge taking a stupidly idealistic stance ignoring the history of the region and the mess the UK made. It's not "American propaganda" that the current regime falling will result in tragedy.

 

Afghanistan isn't the middle east. It's in Central Asia. Get some basic &^@#ing understanding before grouping together two giant nations because "brown muslim people" holy $&!#.

 

Hilarious. I didn't actually say the country is in the Middle East, if you actually read closely. Looks like you need to learn how to read, not just the American newspapers.

 

The entirely Middle East crisis, including Afghanistan and all surrounding areas was largely aggravated by the Americans.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Alflives said:

Just got a flash news update that Canada is evacuating all Canadians from Afghanistan.  I don’t understand why these evacuations didn’t happen as soon as the US military announced they were pulling out?  Now it’s a race to get our people out safely.  

https://www.ctvnews.ca/politics/canada-sending-forces-to-close-afghan-embassy-official-1.5545436

 

Because the government is so inept across all fronts. There is also potential the Afghans who risked their lives to help our guys may get stuck there and probably killed. Which I suppose doesn't surprise me considering this government has left its own citizens stranded in such situations already. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, Dazzle said:

 

Hilarious. I didn't actually say the country is in the Middle East, if you actually read closely. Looks like you need to learn how to read, not just the American newspapers.

 

The entirely Middle East crisis, including Afghanistan and all surrounding areas was largely aggravated by the Americans.

I never said the US was right to invade, I never said I supported Iraq, but you made those assumptions for me so I made a much more realistic one, considering you have no idea what you're talking about. Afghanistan's history is nothing like Iraq's and when the US invaded, it was already a dysfunctional collapsing society from all the other invasions, coups and assassinations in the last 200 years.

 

You can keep screaming about how the US is bad, that will provide no succor to the people fearing for their lives in Kabul.

  • RoughGame 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Nuxfanabroad said:

Long ago decided I wouldn't engage in geopolitical(or NA'n political) discourse on this fine, sporting site.

 

But it'll be a cold day in Hell that I'll ever accept(intellectually, as accepted truth) updates/info from the positively LAMEstream mass-media outlets, agencies, networks, etc...

 

There's a global, political shift underway, & most western folks will only come to grips with it, when viewed in farrr retrospect.

only the top minds of the internet know the truth about what's going on ;)

Edited by butters
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Slegr said:

Negotiating with terrorists seems like a smart thing. Biden sure messed this situation up something bad. 

So..this is Biden's fault?  Or mess?

 

Hmm..

 

Kinda seems all of this was started by and under Trump who negotiated the pull out deal of a war started by the GOP that lasted 2 decades cost trillions and ended with millions of dead, wounded or displaced people.

 

But sure, do go on about how this is Bidens mess up and not the guy who negotiated the actual deal to begin with

 

https://www.usatoday.com/in-depth/news/politics/2021/03/17/us-troop-withdrawal-afghanistan-trumps-deadline-weighs-biden/4667248001/

  • Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in



Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...