The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Afghanistan War With USA Ends After 20 Years as Last US Troop Leave Kabul

DonLever

20 years of conflict.

Millions dead, wounded or displaced

Half a dozen nations ruined

All for what?

Way to waste trillions on literally nothing and proving that yet again, a bunch of 3rd rate angry peasants in rags with some soviet gear can essentially c*ck block the largest scariest army in the world.

Good thing none of that got wasted on healthcare, education or the environment though

• Cheers 2

40 minutes ago, Gnarcore said:

Originally? A Unical natural gas pipeline that went across most of the country. Hence the appointment of Hamid Karzai a former Unical exec (if I recall right) as leader. That went to $&!# fast. 

well yes - and long before that they supplied and used the mujahideen - originally - when they were fighting/competing with the Soviets for control of the flow of oil / supply....

it's oldnews.

• Vintage 1

Wars like the one in Afghanistan, Iraq, Vietnam etc. can’t be won militarily because their is no clear goal.

Democratization, containment, preventing the spread of etc. are just semantics.

Liberation of Europe and defeat of Germany and Japan had end goals that could be achieved militarily.

• Cheers 1

46 minutes ago, CBH1926 said:

Wars like the one in Afghanistan, Iraq, Vietnam etc. can’t be won militarily because their is no clear goal.

Democratization, containment, preventing the spread of etc. are just semantics.

Liberation of Europe and defeat of Germany and Japan had end goals that could be achieved militarily.

And yet, did any of these events really solve anything?

Communism may appear dead, but Cuba's still around. China/North Korea pretend that they're communists, when they're closer to being totalitarian capitalistic countries.

Can we actually save the world? I don't think so.

• Cheers 1

21 minutes ago, Dazzle said:

And yet, did any of these events really solve anything?

Communism may appear dead, but Cuba's still around. China/North Korea pretend that they're communists, when they're closer to being totalitarian capitalistic countries.

Can we actually save the world? I don't think so.

Personally I subscribe to “mind our own business” foreign policy.

Getting involved in other countries conflicts eventually draws you in and all sides start to hate you.

War in Afghanistan was un winnable, the only way to “win” was to annihilate the whole country.

I remember reading a story in NYT right after 9/11 that some in the U.S administration wanted to use nuclear weapons in Afghanistan. 

• Cheers 1

Kinda saddens me that all anyone seems to want to discuss is the political BS.

If one is actually following this,it really is a humanitarian catastrophe. 

It is the women and children,as always that are paying the price for the actions of men.

https://www.reuters.com/world/asia-pacific/afghanistan-brink-humanitarian-crisis-un-refugee-agency-2021-07-13/

The images coming out of that country are really distressing.

• Cheers 2
  • Vintage 1

7 hours ago, Ilunga said:

Kinda saddens me that all anyone seems to want to discuss is the political BS.

If one is actually following this,it really is a humanitarian catastrophe. 

It is the women and children,as always that are paying the price for the actions of men.

https://www.reuters.com/world/asia-pacific/afghanistan-brink-humanitarian-crisis-un-refugee-agency-2021-07-13/

The images coming out of that country are really distressing.

I wonder how many of these refugees we will actually help this time. 

I'm not surprised at all that this is the end result of the US occupation, and I would be very surprised if this is the last time the US does this kind of thing. 

• Cheers 1

11 hours ago, oldnews said:

well yes - and long before that they supplied and used the mujahideen - originally - when they were fighting/competing with the Soviets for control of the flow of oil / supply....

it's oldnews.

Well I was referring to current affair. If we want to talk about the military history of the place this thread will catch the Trump thread in no time ;) 

9 hours ago, Jimmy McGill said:

I wonder how many of these refugees we will actually help this time. 

I'm not surprised at all that this is the end result of the US occupation, and I would be very surprised if this is the last time the US does this kind of thing. 

We haven't even helped those who helped us in country.

Vets burnes their medals in protest a month ago.

I posted the article then and here it is again 

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-07-19/veteran-burn-medals-protest-australia-afghan-translators-taliban/100305398

My governments policies cause me a lot of shame.

Edited by Ilunga

18 hours ago, Warhippy said:

20 years of conflict.

Millions dead, wounded or displaced

Half a dozen nations ruined

All for what?

Way to waste trillions on literally nothing and proving that yet again, a bunch of 3rd rate angry peasants in rags with some soviet gear can essentially c*ck block the largest scariest army in the world.

Good thing none of that got wasted on healthcare, education or the environment though

Let's be real. The pathetic Americans weren't there to defend human rights or democracy or whatever garbage they spew. They were there for the oil. That's the only reason they ever go and invade all these poor countries. They don't care about human rights. Just look at their own country for proof.

• Haha 1
  • Wat 1

17 minutes ago, Nucksownyou said:

Let's be real. The pathetic Americans weren't there to defend human rights or democracy or whatever garbage they spew. They were there for the oil. That's the only reason they ever go and invade all these poor countries. They don't care about human rights. Just look at their own country for proof.

That is crazy. Need a tin foil hat? It wasn’t about oil, it was about combating terrorism. 

• Cheers 1
  • Wat 1

28 minutes ago, Ilunga said:

We haven't even helped those who helped us in country.

Vets burnes their medals in protest a month ago.

I posted the article then and here it is again 

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-07-19/veteran-burn-medals-protest-australia-afghan-translators-taliban/100305398

My governments policies cause me a lot of shame.

I think Canada is taking in some Afghan interpreters and their families. Not sure on the #'s tho.

I'd like to see us do at least what we did for Syrian refugees. 

8 minutes ago, Nucksownyou said:

Maybe you are the one who needs a tinfoil hat if you believe that crap.

Well, I’m sure you heard of an incident happening on September 11th, 2001. Where a gross terrorist incident happened in New York. Collectively governments of the world found with lots of evidence that the people who planned and organized that attack were in Afghanistan. 

The official reports produced by government with contributions from many country’s intelligence communities have all the evidence That warranted a response from the “coalition of the willing” As George W. Bush worded it. 
That is why Afghanistan was invaded and attacked, to believe anything else is a crazy conspiracy theory. 

• Wat 1

12 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

I think Canada is taking in some Afghan interpreters and their families. Not sure on the #'s tho.

I'd like to see us do at least what we did for Syrian refugees.

This is the latest I could find.

https://globalnews.ca/news/8084820/afghan-interpreters-canada-taliban-explained/

I would like us to do anything rather than lock up refugees in offshore detention centres.

Another national shame.

• Cheers 1

4 minutes ago, Bure_of_94 said:

Well, I’m sure you heard of an incident happening on September 11th, 2001. Where a gross terrorist incident happened in New York. Collectively governments of the world found with lots of evidence that the people who planned and organized that attack were in Afghanistan. 

The official reports produced by government with contributions from many country’s intelligence communities have all the evidence That warranted a response from the “coalition of the willing” As George W. Bush worded it. 
That is why Afghanistan was invaded and attacked, to believe anything else is a crazy conspiracy theory. 

Most of those terrorists where Saudi's 

You know the country the US sells billions of dollars of arms to.

Dude that has been debunked that many times.

Even GW now admits there were no weapons of mass destruction.

His words in 2016 quote 

" They lied,they said there were weapons of mass destruction,there were none.

ALL GOVERNMENTS LIE 

• Cheers 1

55 minutes ago, Nucksownyou said:

CNN is running a piece on the Taliban.  In the interview the Taliban leader says Sharia law will govern not only Afghanistan, but the world.  Regular folk there, especially females, will suffer under these guys’ rule.

https://www.cnn.com/

Edited by Alflives

10 minutes ago, Ilunga said:

This is the latest I could find.

https://globalnews.ca/news/8084820/afghan-interpreters-canada-taliban-explained/

I would like us to do anything rather than lock up refugees in offshore detention centres.

Another national shame.

I found this but I have to seriously question the sincerity as such an ambitious plan should have been well underway weeks if not months ago. I’ll keep up hope though.

• Thanks 1

Hard to believe Afghanistan was so beautiful it was actually a tourist destination.   Google the pics.   Afghan women wearing knee high skirts heading to uni.   Grass everywhere, women in swimsuits.  Men not giving a crap like it was an everyday thing!  

It’s sad how it is now.   

• Cheers 1