The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Afghanistan War With USA Ends After 20 Years as Last US Troop Leave Kabul

DonLever

16 hours ago, Bure_of_94 said:

That is crazy. Need a tin foil hat? It wasn’t about oil, it was about combating terrorism. 

Well hes not wrong.. They spend 100s of billions on these wars.. Meanwhile they have major issues in there own country.. 

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, kurtis said:

So much useless money spent and went missing in that country like Iraq... Meanwhile the American's ignore their own population. 

Yup.  GOP or Dem as President made no difference.  Heck, Obama and Biden watched Osama being killed live, with all the big brass military guys, like it was a football game.  The only person who was aghast by the violence was Hillary, who Americans chose Donald friggin’ Trump over.  The US military establishment controls much of US foreign policy.  

image.thumb.jpeg.744f25c7b239ce4126941e2dc47e83d4.jpeg

Edited by Alflives

18 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Yup.  GOP or Dem as President made no difference.  Heck, Obama and Biden watched Osama being killed live, with all the big brass military guys, like it was a football game.  The only person who was aghast by the violence was Hillary, who Americans chose Donald friggin’ Trump over.  The US military establishment controls much of US foreign policy.  

image.thumb.jpeg.744f25c7b239ce4126941e2dc47e83d4.jpeg

I highly &^@#ing doubt that, Watch her reaction to the killing of Gaddafi. 

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Warhippy said:

Do you genuinely believe this?  Like honestly?

When the US military were hosting consistent talks with Taliban leadership?  When the former US president actually signed what amounts to a peace agreement with the Taliban.  When the US military knowingly left stockpiles of arms in areas close to iraqi borders near known strongholds of certain groups who had specific agendas in other nations.

You honestly believe that the fight in Afghanistan was to remove the Taliban and fight terrorism?

Yes I do and I know others view the same...

Don't forget that the US was not the only country/force in the region but NATO and including Canada. 

You think they were all interested in that lucrative Afghan Oil or opium? 

This was simply a mission to remove the Taliban and fight terrorism; put in a more western friendly government that would be happy to give away all its resources to the west. The taking of resources was simply the spoils of war. 

They tried the peace talks route because both sides were at a stalemate and there was hope maybe a resolution could be established, but since the Taliban don't play by western standards it turned out to just be a waste of time. 

People say the USA and allies lost in the Afghanistan but if you think about they were winning up to a certain point when they got rid of Osama, weakened Al Qaeda , and removed the Taliban from power.

And to your last point; many major powers throughout history have left behind stock piles of arms when they retreat whether it be the Soviet Union or the USA.

It is just too costly and time consuming to try and take everything back. 

For me to have a different view point especially from you I need to see at least a political science degree or history... 

One of which I have. 

Edited by drummer4now
  • Cheers 1
  • RoughGame 1

2 minutes ago, drummer4now said:

Don't forget that the US was not the only country in the region but NATO and including Canada. 

This was simply a mission to remove the Taliban and fight terrorism; put in a more western friendly government that would be happy to give away all its resources to the west. The taking of resources was simply the spoils of war. 

They tried the peace talks route because both sides were at a stalemate and there was hope maybe a resolution could be established, but since the Taliban don't play by western standards it turned out to just be a waste of time. 

People say the USA and allies lost in the Afghanistan but if you think about they were winning up to a certain point when they got rid of Osama, weakened Al Qaeda , and removed the Taliban from power.

And to your last point; many major powers throughout history have left behind stock piles of arms when they retreat whether it be the Soviet Union or the USA.

For me to have a different view point especially from you I need to see at least a political science degree or history... 

One of which I have. 

In President Biden’s press release on Afghanistan today he says exactly what you’re saying.

https://www.whitehouse.gov/briefing-room/statements-releases/2021/08/14/statement-by-president-joe-biden-on-afghanistan/

America went to Afghanistan 20 years ago to defeat the forces that attacked this country on September 11th. That mission resulted in the death of Osama Bin Laden over a decade ago and the degradation of al Qaeda”

• Thanks 1

On 8/12/2021 at 11:33 PM, Ilunga said:

Kinda saddens me that all anyone seems to want to discuss is the political BS.

If one is actually following this,it really is a humanitarian catastrophe. 

It is the women and children,as always that are paying the price for the actions of men.

https://www.reuters.com/world/asia-pacific/afghanistan-brink-humanitarian-crisis-un-refugee-agency-2021-07-13/

The images coming out of that country are really distressing.

8 hours ago, Ilunga said:

Put 2 human beings together and there is going to be politics.

I find it kind of ironic that responded to my post with this "realism" - in a thread regarding Pettersson and hockey players - and then in a thread regarding Afghanistan you lament that people are talking about politics.

Of course - most of us would prefer a world not dictated by real-politik - but anyone who believes that countries engage in these occupations in order to save women and children - are beyond naive.  The humanitarian face, unfortunately has been little more than a necessary form of window-dressing to gain 'consent' in the west.  I say 'has been' because I'm not going to preclude the possibility that that changes at some point.

At the same time I couldn't agree more with your sentiment.  I'm just not sure sticking our heads in the sand regarding/avoiding the actual politics will result in the actual focus on humanitarian objectives that you seem to hope.   These countries that become the battle grounds of larger powers - are invariably subject to humanitarian catastrophes.   Let's not mistake the effect of the war for the cause of the war though - whether you're a liberal or a conservative, Democratic/Republican, left/right - if you believe the principal objective in any of these conflicts was to save women and children....

My farther-in-law is a 85 year old Iranian Canadian.

He has said from the beginning that Afghanistan was all about Oil. He really knows his history about that region. He is a big reason that my wife got her Poli-Sci degree.

If you google a bit you find a lot of articles talking about that theory. It's not a fringe idea to believe that the War on Terror, including Afghanistan was motivated by the black gold. 

Heck, it is why the US has been messing around in that area for decades.

On 8/12/2021 at 11:33 PM, Ilunga said:

Kinda saddens me that all anyone seems to want to discuss is the political BS.

If one is actually following this,it really is a humanitarian catastrophe. 

It is the women and children,as always that are paying the price for the actions of men.

https://www.reuters.com/world/asia-pacific/afghanistan-brink-humanitarian-crisis-un-refugee-agency-2021-07-13/

The images coming out of that country are really distressing.

More bad news.

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, bishopshodan said:

He has said from the beginning that Afghanistan was all about Oil. He really knows his history about that region. He is a big reason that my wife got her Poli-Sci degree.

If you google a bit you find a lot of articles talking about that theory. It's not a fringe idea to believe that the War on Terror, including Afghanistan was motivated by the black gold. 

Yes but Afghanistan is not known for Oil.. they just find some deposits in 2010...

It is mostly known for Opium, Minerals, and Natural gas. 

I have studied this conflict in school and the evidence points to the legitimate reason of fighting war on terror. 

I don't want to be rude but do I take your father in laws statement or Joe Biden? 

Now of course Biden is going to be try to save his ass, but I believe him from what Alf posted that the end goal

was war on terror. 

Unfortunately you can't defeat an ideology like radical Islam without blowing the place to pieces..

Interesting fact one Canadian general said the Taliban will become the Tali once they take power as they will begin

fighting amongst themselves if they secure Kabul. 

There is just a temporary truce to secure power.

40 minutes ago, spur1 said:

Why do I not find it surprising that the Taliban are anti-vax just like Trumpers. Religions have been hijacked by the devil.

I am starting to think they all have.. 

Certainly not what the various prophets or founders preached about. 

Edited by drummer4now
  • Vintage 1

36 minutes ago, drummer4now said:

I don't want to be rude but do I take your father in laws statement or Joe Biden? 

That's a slam duck for my father-in-law in my world. He's a brilliant man, his knowledge of history in that area is very high. 

He would talk about pipeline access, the supply in his old home of Iran and the desire of the US to control the oil(and Natural gas) in that entire region etc..

But I do understand your belief in Biden.

Again there is a lot of articles, most from around 2001 that talk about the real reasons about the offensive. 

It does seem like America mostly takes their 'freedom' and democracy to the countries that have...spoils of war, as you mentioned. 

Edited by bishopshodan

3 hours ago, drummer4now said:

Don't forget that the US was not the only country/force in the region but NATO and including Canada. 

One of which I have. 

I...don't care what type of degree you have?  Like...at all.

This was never about fighting terror no matter what you want to claim.  The coalition of the proverbial willing did what they were obliged to do or voted to do on the world stage.

But this was never once about fighting terror and you can wave your paper degree around all you'd like with your many other people.  It creates vastly more terror than it ever successfully fought.  Nothing was built.  Nothing was planted to grow.  There was never any genuine strategy except a show of might.

Sorry mate.

1 hour ago, oldnews said:

I find it kind of ironic that responded to my post with this "realism" - in a thread regarding Pettersson and hockey players - and then in a thread regarding Afghanistan you lament that people are talking about politics.

Of course - most of us would prefer a world not dictated by real-politik - but anyone who believes that countries engage in these occupations in order to save women and children - are beyond naive.  The humanitarian face, unfortunately has been little more than a necessary form of window-dressing to gain 'consent' in the west.  I say 'has been' because I'm not going to preclude the possibility that that changes at some point.

At the same time I couldn't agree more with your sentiment.  I'm just not sure sticking our heads in the sand regarding/avoiding the actual politics will result in the actual focus on humanitarian objectives that you seem to hope.   These countries that become the battle grounds of larger powers - are invariably subject to humanitarian catastrophes.   Let's not mistake the effect of the war for the cause of the war though - whether you're a liberal or a conservative, Democratic/Republican, left/right - if you believe the principal objective in any of these conflicts was to save women and children....

I lamented that people were talking politics 3 pages into a thread where not one poster had lamented about the fact that the situation in Afghanistan is a humanitarian catastrophe.

I question the the irony of you cherry picking a quote from an entirely different topic and trying to put it into context in another topic,especially with the explanation in the previous paragraph.

As for wars and left,right as I keep on explaining I am a neither left or right,I am am a humanist.

I treat others in the manner I wish to be treated.

Our species has always fought wars and always will.

The real victims of these wars have been and always will be innocent civilians mostly women and children.

There has never been a rational,logical reason for any war.

The only war that had any sort of moral justification was WW2.

• Cheers 1

39 minutes ago, drummer4now said:

Yes but Afghanistan is not known for Oil.. they just find some deposits in 2010...

It is mostly known for Opium, Minerals, and Natural gas. 

The safest possible access route for numerous and various pipelines to be built outside of unfriendly nations.

The safest most plentiful non Chinese supply of opium/opiates and opiate derivatives in the world 

Afghanistan was a source of vast interest for a very clear reason

13 minutes ago, Ilunga said:

I lamented that people were talking politics 3 pages into a thread where not one poster had lamented about the fact that the situation in Afghanistan is a humanitarian catastrophe.

On 8/12/2021 at 7:15 PM, bishopshodan said:

I don't know that dude but he sounds reasonable.

I know that there will be a wave of refugees...people that were just trying to live their lives, caught up in this mess...again continually. 

You know you can count on me...

from page 2...

:)

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, bishopshodan said:

Derka derka Mohamed jihad....

My name is Achmed......and I  am a terrorist ......

I like you......you have balls.....I like balls.....

Edited by Ilunga