The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Afghanistan War With USA Ends After 20 Years as Last US Troop Leave Kabul

DonLever

2 minutes ago, bishopshodan said:

You know you can count on me...

from page 2...

:)

Sorry Brother I must have missed that post,got my son this weekend though he is watching videos !

And yes I do know I can count on you your compassion and kind heart.

• Huggy Bear 1

27 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

I...don't care what type of degree you have?  Like...at all.

This was never about fighting terror no matter what you want to claim.  The coalition of the proverbial willing did what they were obliged to do or voted to do on the world stage.

But this was never once about fighting terror and you can wave your paper degree around all you'd like with your many other people.  It creates vastly more terror than it ever successfully fought.  Nothing was built.  Nothing was planted to grow.  There was never any genuine strategy except a show of might.

Sorry mate.

Hmm interesting...

Thats not what you said when we were debating about abortion you said I need at least a health degree or Biochem... for you to value my opinion. 

For this thread I laid down the cards and told about my credentials.

I am genuinely surprised you believe in this conspiracy about oil war and Afghanistan when I could provide you pages upon pages of peer review journals proving otherwise. 

Do you actually believe Joe Biden and the US government is lying to the public about their reasoning behind the war?

Edited by drummer4now

2 hours ago, bishopshodan said:

My farther-in-law is a 85 year old Iranian Canadian.

He has said from the beginning that Afghanistan was all about Oil. He really knows his history about that region. He is a big reason that my wife got her Poli-Sci degree.

When the US first invaded the country had no known oil deposits. I'm sure lobbying for the natural resources that would become available to western conglomerates was a part of the push to go to war. But Afghanistan is not Iraq. The Taliban protected Osama and that was the main reason for invasion. The guy who said he would destroy the union had protection from the "government."

Iraq was the war for oil that got thrown in when the public was war hungry after 9/11. I can tell you without a doubt some army generals were heavily opposed to Afghanistan because they saw what happened to the soviets there. 

Afghanistan wasn't a better place before the US war, believe it or not. The amount of foreign influence in the region wouldn't have gotten any better if the US never invaded because of Pakistan and others. The Taliban would just be more emboldened to attack infidels worldwide. 

8 hours ago, Warhippy said:

Do you genuinely believe this?  Like honestly?

When the US military were hosting consistent talks with Taliban leadership?  When the former US president actually signed what amounts to a peace agreement with the Taliban.  When the US military knowingly left stockpiles of arms in areas close to iraqi borders near known strongholds of certain groups who had specific agendas in other nations.

You honestly believe that the fight in Afghanistan was to remove the Taliban and fight terrorism?

It was to kill Osama. The US couldn't let the guy take credit for 9/11 and sit in Afghanistan protected by the ruling party. Do you not realize what that would have done for global terrorism?

• Upvote 1

27 minutes ago, Ilunga said:

I lamented that people were talking politics 3 pages into a thread where not one poster had lamented about the fact that the situation in Afghanistan is a humanitarian catastrophe.

I question the the irony of you cherry picking a quote from an entirely different topic and trying to put it into context in another topic,especially with the explanation in the previous paragraph.

As for wars and left,right as I keep on explaining I am a neither left or right,I am am a humanist.

I treat others in the manner I wish to be treated.

Our species has always fought wars and always will.

The real victims of these wars have been and always will be innocent civilians mostly women and children.

There has never been a rational,logical reason for any war.

The only war that had any sort of moral justification was WW2.

It's not really a 'cherry pick' though.

I suggested people leave the politics out of hockey - to which you responded - specifically to me - that you put two people together - even regarding what should be relatively apolitical - hockey - and you get politics nevertheless. 

And then we're not supposed to talk politics here....

Anyhow - setting that aside, because it's not really important - I think we're essentially coming from a similar viewpoint in the end - I agree, the politics are a bunch of deceptive, ideological gobbledygook.  I simply waste the time of bothering to break it down.   Listening to Democrats and Republicans point fingers at each other on matters of US foreign policy - is absurd.  The impact of these battles over political economic control  - of course, the time to wax all sympathetic about humanitarian matters - is when justifying an invasion or continued occupation - when it's time to pull out...not so much.

2 minutes ago, oldnews said:

It's not really a 'cherry pick' though.

I suggested people leave the politics out of hockey - to which you responded - specifically to me - that you put two people together - even regarding what should be relatively apolitical - hockey - and you get politics nevertheless. 

And then we're not supposed to talk politics here....

Anyhow - setting that aside, because it's not really important - I think we're essentially coming from a similar viewpoint in the end - I agree, the politics are a bunch of deceptive, ideological gobbledygook.  I simply waste the time of bothering to break it down.   Listening to Democrats and Republicans point fingers at each other on matters of US foreign policy - is absurd.  The impact of these battles over political economic control  - of course, the time to wax all sympathetic about humanitarian matters - is when justifying an invasion or continued occupation - when it's time to pull out...not so much.

I never stated that people should not talk about the politics of the situation I bemoaned the fact that no one had brought up the human suffering involved.

I was actually wrong,my brother @bishopshodan had,I  have apologised to him.

When I see humans suffering especially children something inside me hurts and I don't really give a flying @#$@ what anyone thinks about this.

• Cheers 1

7 hours ago, Alflives said:

Yup.  GOP or Dem as President made no difference.  Heck, Obama and Biden watched Osama being killed live, with all the big brass military guys, like it was a football game.  The only person who was aghast by the violence was Hillary, who Americans chose Donald friggin’ Trump over.  The US military establishment controls much of US foreign policy.  

image.thumb.jpeg.744f25c7b239ce4126941e2dc47e83d4.jpeg

https://www.theguardian.com/world/video/2011/oct/20/hillary-clinton-gaddafi-capture-video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mlz3-OzcEx

check out that 2nd video  - interestingly - youtube does not permit the embedding of that video (I've embedded hundreds on these boards - this is the first that could not be....

• Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, Kurgom said:

When the US first invaded the country had no known oil deposits. I'm sure lobbying for the natural resources that would become available to western conglomerates was a part of the push to go to war. But Afghanistan is not Iraq. The Taliban protected Osama and that was the main reason for invasion. The guy who said he would destroy the union had protection from the "government."

Iraq was the war for oil that got thrown in when the public was war hungry after 9/11. I can tell you without a doubt some army generals were heavily opposed to Afghanistan because they saw what happened to the soviets there. 

Afghanistan wasn't a better place before the US war, believe it or not. The amount of foreign influence in the region wouldn't have gotten any better if the US never invaded because of Pakistan and others. The Taliban would just be more emboldened to attack infidels worldwide. 

1 hour ago, bishopshodan said:

He would talk about pipeline access, the supply in his old home of Iran and the desire of the US to control the oil(and Natural gas) in that entire region etc..

I understand what your are saying. My original point was that it's not fringe to think the true reason the US jumps at the chance to get involved over there is black gold. 

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, oldnews said:

https://www.theguardian.com/world/video/2011/oct/20/hillary-clinton-gaddafi-capture-video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mlz3-OzcEx

check out that 2nd video  - interestingly - youtube does not permit the embedding of that video (I've embedded hundreds on these boards - this is the first that could not be....

That’s horrible stuff.  Not so cute Hillary.  Thank you for posting.  

9 minutes ago, bishopshodan said:

I understand what your are saying. My original point was that it's not fringe to think the true reason the US jumps at the chance to get involved over there is black gold. 

I mean I'm sure some officials were glad it was Afghanistan so they could pressure Iran and gain a foothold in central Asia, which is full of natural resources including oil and has always been out of US reach, with their new puppet. Or that's what the naive policy makers thought would happen at the time. But the situation of the actual invasion and war, the US' hand was forced. What else do you do when a country protects an individual whom claimed responsibility for 9/11 and vows to do it again and again until the US collapses?

• Cheers 1

30 minutes ago, drummer4now said:

Hmm interesting...

Thats not what you said when we were debating about abortion you said I need at least a health degree or Biochem... for you to value my opinion. 

For this thread I laid down the cards and told about my credentials.

I am genuinely surprised you believe in this conspiracy about oil war and Afghanistan when I could provide you pages upon pages of peer review journals proving otherwise. 

Do you actually believe Joe Biden and the US government is lying to the public about their reasoning behind the war?

I don't know about Joe and the US government lying about the reason for this particular war.

It is America's longest running war starting with the Clinton administration  and continuing through to Joe's.

What we have heard from one of the ex presidents involved,quoting him about the war in Iraq 

"They lied,they said there was weapons of mass destruction and there was none".

Goovernments,security agencies that feed the "intelligence"  to governments lie that is a fact.

A modicum of research will illuminate  that.

7 minutes ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

Someone got rich.  Follow the money.

The US military establishment controls much of that country’s foreign policy, regardless of which political group is in the White House, or controls the Senate.  It’s so much like a shell game, and Innocent folk suffer the worst of consequences.  

10 minutes ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

Someone got rich.  Follow the money.

War what is it good for ! 

Money of course 

Meanwhile young girls who used to be able to play sport will now 

resume their 3rd class status in society.

Religious nutbags will force their ridiculous inhumane beliefs.

But hey the the country that went in there to supposedly fight for the rights of women back home in their country women's rights to have control over their bodies are under direct threat.

The country that went in there to fight for democracy,well we know there was an insurrection and voting rights are under direct threat.

But America $#@$$ yeah comin again to save the mother$#@$ day yeah !

• Like 3

5 hours ago, drummer4now said:

And to your last point; many major powers throughout history have left behind stock piles of arms when they retreat whether it be the Soviet Union or the USA.

It is just too costly and time consuming to try and take everything back. 

The standard procedure is to destroy it before just leaving it behind. 

1 hour ago, Kurgom said:

The natural gas was for Saudi wells that require more and more as they get lower and lower. Hence the pipeline plans.  

3 hours ago, drummer4now said:

Sir,

I believe almost every US president since Carter has lied about the reasons for US involvement in various nations and it invariably proves true that it served US interests in terms of resources, access or control.