The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Quinn Hughes + for Colton Parayko + (extention re-signed) (proposal)

Let's face it, we keep missing the window because we just never have all the pieces. There is no doubt that Quinn Hughes is a gifted Offensive hockey player, probably one of the best defenseman we have ever had. But one could argue that players like Matthais Ohlund, Dave Babych, Jurki Lumme, Sami Salo, Doug Lidster, Paul Reinhart, Rick Lanz, Dale Tallon, Ed Jovanovski, Kevin Bieska, Dan Hamhuis, Christain Ehrhoff, and Alex Edler brought attributes equally as important to the games as Quinn Hughes does.

Will Quinn Hughes end up our all-time points leader, most probably yes, but will he be able to clean up his defensive woes? IMO, not to the extent that he will be a net positive contributor. 

You can not teach size, is what most learned hockey people will say. That includes small under-size dmen, who will have to be sheltered 5 on 5.

If, the Canucks intend on competing now, and intend on being realistic contenders now, while players like Horvat and Miller are under contract, then we will need to reduce our negative goal differential. This is where, this trade proposals POV comes from. Yes, everyone loves Huggy, but hear me out.

Now, the basics of the trade are Hughes for Parayko, but the values are off, mostly because of Hughes age compared to Parayko's age, and the fact that Parayko is in his last year of his current contract. IMO, Vancouver is on the up swing, where ST. Louis is on the down turn.

The remaining pieces are included to even out the trade and cap hits.

Hughes and Poolman

for

Parayko* and StL 2022-1st

Parayko agrees to an extension with Vancouver of 7 years @ 8.00 million, which brings him to the age of 35

Hughes agrees to a new contract of 3 years at 7.50 million.

Canucks new defense is......................

Rathbone and Parayko

OEL and Hamonic

Juolevi and Myers

Hunt and Schenn

Just for $hits and giggles.......flame away!

Edited by janisahockeynut

4 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Parayko is coming off back surgery, right?  Why in any world would we trade our phenom?  We want to win a Cup, and that ain’t happening if we trade the guy who will lead the celebration parade.  

Tell me why you think he is a "Phenom" Alf!

1 minute ago, Alflives said:

More points than any rookie (not just D) in his rookie year.

Set the record for most points by a rookie D in the playoffs.

This is a player teams win Cups with.  

Well, what if while he is on the ice more goals are scored against us than for us...........is that good?

If Parayko was quite a a bit younger I'd consider it, but as it stands if we're moving Quinn a younger RHD needs to be coming back. I'd also like to see exactly what we have in Rathbone before I'd consider moving Quinn (Another reason why I want Rathbone on the opening night roster).

1 minute ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

If Parayko was quite a a bit younger I'd consider it, but as it stands if we're moving Quinn a younger RHD needs to be coming back. I'd also like to see exactly what we have in Rathbone before I'd consider moving Quinn (Another reason why I want Rathbone on the opening night roster).

I actually agree with you Slap shot...........I just thought we needed something to argue about for............30 days or so :bigblush:

• Cheers 2
  • Haha 2

3 minutes ago, higgyfan said:

Geez, Jan.  He's 21yrs old.  Have some patience!  

Fox won the Norris in his 2nd year and was a + 19 in his 2nd year

Hughes was a -24 in his 2nd year

How long do we have to wait, and when he is still doing the same things in 3 years, how much will that tarnish his value?

• Cheers 2
  • Vintage 1

5 minutes ago, janisahockeynut said:

How long do we have to wait, and when he is still doing the same things in 3 years, how much will that tarnish his value?

Let's give him a season now that Baumgartner has adult supervision.  The entire D looked awful last year thanks to Baumer's gross incompetence.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

I could see each team having reasons not to do it:
- after seeing Pietrangelo walk for nothing, I could see the Blues want to re-sign Parayko (they already have an offensive D-man in Krug).
- as others have mentioned, Vancouver may want to keep the younger Hughes and let him be the top defenseman they projected him to be when they drafted him, instead of getting Parayko, who's 7 years his senior, who played a shutdown role (Faulk was the offensive RHD in the top 4)

Personally I would like to acquire Parayko, but wouldn't mind just trying to sign him instead of making essentially an overpay for a pending UFA in a trade (and I'd only want to move Quinn if I'm certain of what OEL and Rathbone are respectively in this stage of their careers).

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

2 hours ago, janisahockeynut said:

Well, what if while he is on the ice more goals are scored against us than for us...........is that good?

What if I told you +/- is the most useless stat in the book to use to evaluate whether or not a player is good defensively? We know Quinn isn’t the greatest in his own end, but what some people seem to forget, willingly or not, is that he’s not even 22 years old yet. 

2 hours ago, janisahockeynut said:

Would you agree that defenceman generally take longer to mature. Fox is an anomaly just like Makar. Why on earth would trade a 21 year old defenceman with a ton of upside for a 29 year old just coming off major back surgery. It just doesn’t make sense. At all. 

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1