The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Quinn Hughes + for Colton Parayko + (extention re-signed) (proposal)

26 minutes ago, -DLC- said:

So wait...the things YOU use to say he's "not" are the measuring sticks but when I counter them they're invalid?

I understand hockey well enough.  You threw out:

and I was simply responding to your yardsticks.

If +/- don't matter and playing a tough game despite injuries don't matter, I'm not sure the stuff you list matters either.  Because, in the end, execution only matters if results are produced and he was able to be effective against some of the league's best players (see "McDavid"). 

+/- is brought in because you list "lack of scoring/points" but d men have to be responsible defensively, first and foremost.  A scoring touch only matters if it doesn't pull you away from that.  We're seeing how Quinn needs a bit more balance there - because a d man's job is to...defend and scoring shouldn't be at the expense of that.

I remember when KB spent a summer working on his timing of jumping in to the play.  That you can't simply go for the puck and try to score if it means no one's covering for you and the puck is in too deep.  That he had to make quick assessments before just "going for it".  Good hockey IQ stuff that sometimes players work on to develop.

Tanev as a pretty solid hockey IQ in my opinion....and his puck control was just fine, too.   He was pretty calm/composed when pressured and could move the puck out of our end without panic.  We could rely on him to make good decisions.

Anyhow, I saw him play live/up close and personal long enough to know that he was pretty smooth and effective out there.  

If you read carefully you’d see I commented on him being overplayed the way we always overplay players and him getting walked and stumbling more than people realize. Don’t you think if he had enough of any of the things I listed (edge work, stride, mobility, durability, IQ, puck control, stick speed), that he would be a true top D-man and not an injury riddled, 18 point average, overplayed shot blocker? Trust me. In Jr. I played with some very solid

D-men drafted to the OHL, USHL, and playing pro in Europe. And I watched Chris Tanev play live in Vancouver as well as live in Abbotsford when the Wolves would come play the Heat. He’s calm with the puck and skates it out from behind the net but doesn’t have the explosiveness or agility to go farther and always makes simple breakout passes.

2 minutes ago, ZH96 said:

He’s calm with the puck and skates it out from behind the net but doesn’t have the explosiveness or agility to go farther and always makes simple breakout passes.

Calm, skates with the puck and simple breakout passes.

Sounds more like a recipe for success than failure to me.

I feel he's been under rated for some time.  The fact that he doesn't always "show" in an explosive way can also read as a good thing because that can become glaring pretty quick when it doesn't pan out.  

Anyhow, cheers...you have made some great points.

Just now, -DLC- said:

Calm, skates with the puck and simple breakout passes.

Sounds more like a recipe for success than failure to me.

Okay you seriously need to go do some more studying and watching. There’s many 4th line centers and 5th/depth D-men that do the same thing. That doesn't mean they’re top players. You just miss the point and think Chris Tanev is a #1 D-man. I question what you take in when watching these games live. How’d it go with playing Chris as a fill-in in the 2011 Cup Final? He made simple passes and was calm but got hammered and was a slight liability. Or in the 2015 Playoffs? He made simple passes and was calm but got hammered (even worse) and was a slight liability. He had a decent playoff run in 2020 because he was playing with the exceptional ‘puck control, edge work, and IQ’ of Quinn Hughes. Yeah Chris stabilized him how everyone says but it was more the other way around than people realize. Quinn made him better for that one season and playoff run.