The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Proposal] Elias Pettersson change of scenery

As good as Petey is, I feel like the other teams will say it's an overpayment since most are trading their young star and adding picks for Petey.  For Vancouver though, I'd really only consider the NY offers since I'd strongly prefer getting a #1 C back for him (even then, there's arguments to be made that they wouldn't trade their current guy for Petey).  

- Devils decline, Zacha and Sharangovich will both be great wingers and they have Jack Hughes, doubt they add the 1st
- NYI: how come the picks from Vancouver got arbitrarily increased?  Bellows has had all of 3 goals, and we're not really in the market for top-6 wingers to need to add that much when we could give Jonah a shot (same reasoning for why I'm against all the other deals -- wingers are not what we need [re: CAR/ DAL/ FLA/ DET deals], and for the Nashville one I'm not sure they'll trade Fabbro AND a 1st).   

Thanks for the effort in writing all that, but it's simply not realistic.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

Danny Devito No GIF by reactionseditor - Find & Share on GIPHY

At this point.. an often-injured, streaky, moody forward that partially said he doesn’t want to be here for one of a way healthier

Barzal, Zibanejad, Necas or both of 

Benn + Gurianov,   Zacha + Sharangovich, Denisenko + Tippett,  Tomasino + Trenin,  Zadina + Bertuzzi  …….. 

Pettersson and Hughes for Draisaitl and Nurse (I wouldn’t do this, just playing out loud).

Miller-Draisaitl-Boeser

Pearson-Horvat-Garland

Hoglander-Dickinson-Podkolzin

Motte-Sutter-Highmore

OEL-Hamonic

Nurse-Myers

Rathbone-Poolman

Demko

Halak

Edited by Patel Bure
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, Patel Bure said:

Pettersson and Hughes for Draisaitl and Nurse (I wouldn’t do this, just playing out loud).

Miller-Draisaitl-Boeser

Pearson-Horvat-Garland

Hoglander-Dickinson-Podkolzin

Motte-Sutter-Highmore

OEL-Hamonic

Nurse-Myers

Rathbone-Poolman

Demko

Halak

If Darnell's contract wasn't that hefty I'd strongly consider, and then flip OEL for someone less expensive.  
Nurse does have value for sure as a shutdown guy, but $9 mil+ * 9 years is crazy.

• Like 1

I think anything over 8M a year for Petey, I’m willing to throw his name out there in the trade market. I could see the Rangers as a good fit for him. He seem like the type of person who is made for the Big Apple. The Rangers have a ton of assets that we could be interested in.

To Van: Lafrenière, Strome, and Lundkvist

To NYR: Pettersson and a conditional pick (protected first, if Strome re-sign. 3rd round pick, if he walks)

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, Phil_314 said:

As good as Petey is, I feel like the other teams will say it's an overpayment since most are trading their young star and adding picks for Petey.  For Vancouver though, I'd really only consider the NY offers since I'd strongly prefer getting a #1 C back for him (even then, there's arguments to be made that they wouldn't trade their current guy for Petey).  

- Devils decline, Zacha and Sharangovich will both be great wingers and they have Jack Hughes, doubt they add the 1st
- NYI: how come the picks from Vancouver got arbitrarily increased?  Bellows has had all of 3 goals, and we're not really in the market for top-6 wingers to need to add that much when we could give Jonah a shot (same reasoning for why I'm against all the other deals -- wingers are not what we need [re: CAR/ DAL/ FLA/ DET deals], and for the Nashville one I'm not sure they'll trade Fabbro AND a 1st).   

Thanks for the effort in writing all that, but it's simply not realistic.

Yes a center replacing Pettersson back in a trade is the top priority if that route is taken. 
- Devils consider. Hischier bad injury luck already in his career (worse than Pettersson), besides him is Jack Hughes pencilled as the ‘hopeful #1 C’. M. McLeod is very raw and Zacha and Sharangovich have not shown they have the responsibility or IQ to play down the middle yet. Upgrade on Zacha with Pettersson and get a bonafide star #1 C to add to Hughes, Hischer, Bratt, Johnsson, Tatar, Kuokkanen, Wood, Boqvist, Studenic, and potentially Foote and Holtz. They lose Sharangovich to make that happen but only turn a 2nd into a 1st as well and also add Aidan McDonough whose got big upside and is a massive bodied skill forward putting up PPG numbers at North Dakota. 
- The picks from us to NYI arbitrarily increase because at this point Barzal has had basically no injuries at all compared to Petterssons multiple serious injuries and is probably faster than Pettersson. They are basically equal in talent and in what they will produce in their career points-wise. Barzal has serious upside and arguably is as fast as McDavid. His crossover speed, hand speed w/puck fluidity, edge work, and competitiveness, might all actually be better than Petterssons. We give them Gadjovich in that deal because we’re getting a left winger in return with more upside and a connection to Kyle Gustafson from the Portland Winterhawks in Bellows. They’ll also want some serious toughness back after giving us Johnston in that deal. Two PEI brawlers that can skate in Johnston and MacEwen both on our team? No one will push us around. Johnston is one of the only players to show he can dance with Reaves. In the CAR/DAL/FLA/DET deals we are not just receiving wingers for Pettersson. Necas is plenty versatile and is listed as a right winger or center. Benn has played center over and over in his career and a player of his skill, size, and leadership has no problem holding down the middle. Denisenko is a very dynamic Russian forward with his hands and creativity. He can play any position with that type of skill set. Let Green teach him the 200 foot details and he’ll be outstanding. Him as not only Podkolzins Russian teammate but linemate could be one of the best duos in the league. Also Luostarinen is a natural center and is basically Petterssons frame and style without the upside or same skill. Bertuzzi can play any forward position with ease due to his competitiveness and grit and the two picks from DET in that deal can be used to draft centers. And if a re-building team like Nashville that has no clear-cut future #1C gets a chance to nab E. Pettersson and another young forward that fits their style, plus a pick.. they’ll trade Fabbro and a 1st in a heartbeat. They’re getting (at this point) the better more stable RHD back in Hamonic and have never had an issue developing D-men. Even if they trade Fabbro and Ekholm they’ll still be blueline buoyed with Josi, Farrance, A.Carrier, Allard, Davies, P.Myers.  This is more realistic than you think if we are sitting here holding a future top ten league wide center with Datsyuk-esque skill but does not want to be here. Especially the DET, NYI, DAL deals.

35 minutes ago, shiznak said:

I think anything over 8M a year for Petey, I’m willing to throw his name out there in the trade market. I could see the Rangers as a good fit for him. He seem like the type of person who is made for the Big Apple. The Rangers have a ton of assets that we could be interested in.

To NYR: Pettersson and a conditional pick (protected first, if Strome re-sign. 3rd round pick, if he walks)

NYR has been reluctant to trade N. Lundkvist or B. Schneider in an Eichel trade so I doubt they do it for Pettersson (but if you’re going to get one of those top prospect RHD I’d shoot for B. Schneider and say they’d be more willing to let him go considering they have lots of D of his style but outside of Fox don’t have many high-end puck movers like Lundkvist is. Lafreniere is untouchable to them right now. Strome is a pending UFA so may as well go for the better pending UFA in Zibanejad and make NYR re-sign him first before a trade happens.

Edited by ZH96

3 hours ago, shiznak said:

You can’t include picks that are conditional on a player re-signing 

1 hour ago, qwijibo said:

You can’t include picks that are conditional on a player re-signing 

Sure about that?   Happens all the time at the TDL...usually a pick that's included becomes a higher pick.  Didn't we have a conditional pick with TT... 

Edited by IBatch

EP will be signed ... that said any players that don't have a full NMC/NTC (and even them if they waived) are tradeable. 

Barzal would be a fair one on one trade. Doubt NYI fans want that.   I don't think things are Nedved bad right now.  

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, IBatch said:

Sure about that?   Happens all the time at the TDL...usually a pick that's included becomes a higher pick.  Didn't we have a conditional pick with TT... 

positive. It was a change in the new CBA signed last summer 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

3 hours ago, Fanuck said:

This thread is an example of why this market is considered 'toxic'.  Some unknown 'staffer' at a major sports media outlet in Canada takes a translated interview by a Swedish nobody blogger, then creates a story with a slant that infers EP may or may not want to play here, then local media fuel a fictional narrative that there is a rift between the player/franchise, and a certain group of CDC'ers would use this garbage reporting to trade the kid to anyplace for what have you and a bag of pucks.  What a joke.  

There's a reason why nobody at Sportsnet would put their own name/reputation on that story and why Daliwal can't actually report any real facts on the negotiation - because these so called journalists don't know anything about what's actually  going on. Please think about this before creating more senseless threads based on fabricated social media posts.

which is a bit unfair - most fans of the team would think this kind of proposal was ridiculous. Our media otoh, yeah, they are quite toxic here. 

• Cheers 2
  • Wat 1

3 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

which is a bit unfair - most fans of the team would think this kind of proposal was ridiculous. Our media otoh, yeah, they are quite toxic here. 

Yes.  And this is fantasy GM forum ... it might not be easy to think about but it is just that pure fantasy.    Most would have thought the cost to remove all that junk contracts from our lineup for the cost we paid as ridiculous.    And on the flip side it's for sure debateable whether or not how the extra cash was spent didn't come with any big names (other then OEL who had the worst contract in the league before retention...).   Willing to wait and see but of course have doubts. People old enough to grow up with the hulking D's we used to have and watching the team slowly get smaller and smaller (trending league wide) of course like the idea of Parayko, Hamilton, AP etc patrolling our right side.    Myers, Hamonic have good size at least.   OJs not bad either.    Rathbone  i've grown to appreciate - guys a gym rat like Juice became early on despite some size issues himself (played a lot bigger then he was).   Jovo and Ohlund barely cut it when they came in .... size wise lol.   Leagues different now.    

We've got 4 PMD/transition puck carriers, and two defensive D's plus OJ in the wings right now.   Looking forward to seeing if OEL can bring it.   Gambled. Same with Garland and Dickinson, Rathbone and OJ.   

• Cheers 2