The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Proposal] Elias Pettersson change of scenery

3 minutes ago, IBatch said:

Yes.  And this is fantasy GM forum ... it might not be easy to think about but it is just that pure fantasy.    Most would have thought the cost to remove all that junk contracts from our lineup for the cost we paid as ridiculous.    And on the flip side it's for sure debateable whether or not how the extra cash was spent didn't come with any big names (other then OEL who had the worst contract in the league before retention...).   Willing to wait and see but of course have doubts. People old enough to grow up with the hulking D's we used to have and watching the team slowly get smaller and smaller (trending league wide) of course like the idea of Parayko, Hamilton, AP etc patrolling our right side.    Myers, Hamonic have good size at least.   OJs not bad either.    Rathbone  i've grown to appreciate - guys a gym rat like Juice became early on despite some size issues himself (played a lot bigger then he was).   Jovo and Ohlund barely cut it when they came in .... size wise lol.   Leagues different now.    

We've got 4 PMD/transition puck carriers, and two defensive D's plus OJ in the wings right now.   Looking forward to seeing if OEL can bring it.   Gambled. Same with Garland and Dickinson, Rathbone and OJ.   

I. don't think its really sunk in yet how different the team can be next year. Of course everyone has to go out and execute but damn thats such a different look from just a couple of months ago. Can't wait to see what Shaw can do with the F's. 

• Cheers 1
  • Huggy Bear 1

12 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

I. don't think its really sunk in yet how different the team can be next year. Of course everyone has to go out and execute but damn thats such a different look from just a couple of months ago. Can't wait to see what Shaw can do with the F's. 

Yes.   The entire season was fantasizing what JB could do after then season with all that extra cash - but was also aware the that it was a little too little too late with both Miller and Horvats deals looming.    A massive part of strapping the team with Holbty and to a way lesser degree but still valid, JVs buyout plus was doing the most possible right now to give the team two post seasons with essentially best he could do.   In that regard i don't have much doubt.   He gambled on Garland but the upside for sure is there ... following in St. Louis's footsteps.   With OEL too.   The potential right now, with the forward group is very high.    D is still a ? mark but it had been since he took over more or less.      We could make three scoring lines now.  Hope we at least try it - and one exceptional shut down line Motte Sutter Dickinson (unlike some i don't see him as a scoring third line C... and don't think we need to insulate a third line anymore either).    Most of the money sitting on the sidelines is now available from game one and on.   Last year our record sucked for a few reasons, but we're we ever really destroyed?  No we were not.   A lot of close games i think we have a much better chance in winning.  

• Cheers 1

9 hours ago, ZH96 said:

At this point.. an often-injured, streaky, moody forward that partially said he doesn’t want to be here for one of a way healthier

Barzal, Zibanejad, Necas or both of 

Benn + Gurianov,   Zacha + Sharangovich, Denisenko + Tippett,  Tomasino + Trenin,  Zadina + Bertuzzi  …….. 

Alternatively, we keep our Calder winning 22 year old top line center/winger and see what he becomes instead of buying into his somehow not wanting to be here.

Every player who makes the NHL wants to win on some level, they wouldn't make it to the NHL otherwise. Almost every player in the NHL wants to be on a competitive team. Elias is no different. Moving on from a player who's skill we've had maybe a handful of times throughout franchise history because of purported halfhearted rumblings that he wants to play somewhere competitive is stupid. I'd wager every player we have signed wants to play somewhere competitive.

Now if it turns out his contract demands are absurd (unconfirmed speculation), that's something else. But yeah, I don't see it. 

Edited by Coconuts
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 2

4 hours ago, Fanuck said:

This thread is an example of why this market is considered 'toxic'.  Some unknown 'staffer' at a major sports media outlet in Canada takes a translated interview by a Swedish nobody blogger, then creates a story with a slant that infers EP may or may not want to play here, then local media fuel a fictional narrative that there is a rift between the player/franchise, and a certain group of CDC'ers would use this garbage reporting to trade the kid to anyplace for what have you and a bag of pucks.  What a joke.  

There's a reason why nobody at Sportsnet would put their own name/reputation on that story and why Daliwal can't actually report any real facts on the negotiation - because these so called journalists don't know anything about what's actually  going on. Please think about this before creating more senseless threads based on fabricated social media posts.

I dislike our fanbase and think that yes it’s a toxic market and media group. I am not in favour of trading a skill-set style and upside of Petterssons but I made this thread as a “what if he does want out” and he is showing injury concern so here are some options.

“What have you and a bag of pucks”? 
Do Zibanejad, Necas, or Barzal come across as bags of pucks to you?? As for the prospects I listed. Seth Jarvis is probably a top 50 prospect candidate that’s a slick right handed center with a connection to assistant coach Kyle Gustafson from Portland. I would also go read up on and watch highlights on the prospects and young players I listed like P.Tomasino, Y.Trenin, D.Gurianov, T.Dellandrea, F.Zadina, G.Lindstrom, P.Zacha, Y.Sharangovich, G.Denisenko, O.Tippett, E.Luostarinen, Mi.Benning, Ki.Bellows. And wether it’s translated from a distant source or not. Pettersson did say he wants to “be where there’s a chance of winning and we’ll see when my next deals up”… that’s not the best thing to say and the Sedins, Burrows, Bieksa. Edler would have never said something like that. And he’s shown a lot of moodiness in only two years here and people were commenting on his media interviews last season saying “He looks like he wants out..”  People hushed the Ryan Kesler rumours including Kesler flat out denying them in a locker-room interview himself stating he loves the city and his family loves it and he’s happy and wants to help the team. And then ended up saying later he wanted out badly and that “four years is a little too long for me”. Benning hushed the Nate Schmidt rumours stating Schmidt does not want out and wants to be here. How’d that turn out? How’d allowing Bure to stay until he was disgruntled and playing for a toxic coach turn out? How’d it go with another young playmaking center with injury issues in Hodgson? Or Luongo/Schneider? 

10 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

Alternatively, we keep our Calder winning 22 year old top line center/winger and see what he becomes instead of buying into his somehow not wanting to be here.

Every player who makes the NHL wants to win on some level, they wouldn't make it to the NHL otherwise. Almost every player in the NHL wants to be on a competitive team. Elias is no different. Moving on from a player who's skill we've had maybe a handful of times throughout franchise history because of purported halfhearted rumblings that he wants to play somewhere competitive is stupid. I'd wager every player we have signed wants to play somewhere competitive.

Now if it turns out his contract demands are absurd (unconfirmed speculation), that's something else. But yeah, I don't see it. 

Same thing I said to @Fanuck. We’re looking for character players and people like the Sedins and Bieksa comments like                 “I’ll go down with the ship” not entitled young social media famous focused players that haven’t proven enough weight carrying themselves before saying they want a winning team. I’m not calling Pettersson that at all but his comments were a little concerning and he needs to prove a lot of people otherwise still. He’s paced so far at 70-75 points/season and had a serious concussion, knee injury, and now wrist injury that kept him out the longest yet. And I wouldn’t be surprised if his contract demands are absurd. We’ve known he’s a pending RFA since the start of the Covid season last year and it’s now August. Is he signed? Nope and he knows he’s the top player on the team and judging by his comments I’d say he’s looking for $9 - $10 Mil when $8.5 is the highest I’d go for now (even that is too much).

1 hour ago, Alflives said:

@ZH96  Do you have a valid fishing license?  

Go read up on and watch highlights on the players and prospects I listed in these deals. Then go look at Petterssons injury details so far, his projected points average (and actual point average), and ponder his comments. As well I do indeed have experience fishing and with the ocean life. I go hunting in a big steel boat for Alflives comments ::D

• Cheers 1

19 minutes ago, ZH96 said:

Same thing I said to @Fanuck. We’re looking for character players and people like the Sedins and Bieksa comments like                 “I’ll go down with the ship” not entitled young social media famous focused players that haven’t proven enough weight carrying themselves before saying they want a winning team. I’m not calling Pettersson that at all but his comments were a little concerning and he needs to prove a lot of people otherwise still. He’s paced so far at 70-75 points/season and had a serious concussion, knee injury, and now wrist injury that kept him out the longest yet. And I wouldn’t be surprised if his contract demands are absurd. We’ve known he’s a pending RFA since the start of the Covid season last year and it’s now August. Is he signed? Nope and he knows he’s the top player on the team and judging by his comments I’d say he’s looking for $9 - $10 Mil when $8.5 is the highest I’d go for now (even that is too much).

Even when we had both the Sedins and Bieksa it's likely every player wasn't like them. You're not going to get a locker room full of those guys on one team at all times. KB3 saying he'd go down with the ship after years of playing alongside a successful Canucks squad isn't the same as RFA Pettersson, that's a false equivalency. 

Who cares if his social media pops up? He's a star in a Canadian market, that comes with the territory. 

Carrying the weight? What the hell are you expecting of 22 year old Pettersson, 21 year old Hughes, and 24 year old Boeser? There's a reason hockey is a team sport. They're doing just fine, ain't their fault last season was a cluster&^@#. And no, they don't have to prove anything to want a winning team. Almost every guy who makes the NHL wants to win, they prove that by spending years pursuing making the NHL. 

He's not signed, neither is Hughes. Should we make endless threads about him too? About how he wants to go play with his brothers in Jersey? Oh, wait.. that's already happening.  

Horvat signed his second deal in September, the world was gonna end then too. His not being signed doesn't have to mean something is dodgy regarding his wanting to be here. 

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 2

57 minutes ago, ZH96 said:

I think that's a "toxic" overreaction.   I also don't think our fanbase for the most part is toxic at all, rather we are passionate about our team like other big Canadian fanbases.   We have the best forum in the entire NHL for a reason, despite not having nearly the market size that MTL, TO, Boston, NYR and CHI have ... maybe a couple others too.  When did BB sign again!  When did Horvat?   And the season didn't run as late then either.   Give it time, be patient. Maybe your right but i doubt it.   EP has some leverage but not those type of numbers does he - you said it right in your post.   What he's got is potential, and what he's already done which of course is enough to approach both Barzal and AHO's deals.   JB hasn't disappointed us much when it comes to RFAs, and not once when dealing with the high end ones.   Have some faith.   And i hope he's not like some GMs and is considering flat cap.. AHO's deal was done with the cap going up significantly year to year.   Barzals was not.   We are in a much higher tax bracket then both those guys too.  My bet is EPs will be fine - QHs a bit of a gamble.  

Edited by IBatch
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Cheers 2

56 minutes ago, ZH96 said:

Go read up on and watch highlights on the players and prospects I listed in these deals. Then go look at Petterssons injury details so far, his projected points average (and actual point average), and ponder his comments. As well I do indeed have experience fishing and with the ocean life. I go hunting in a big steel boat for Alflives comments ::D

Ponder what comments?   Some innocuous Swedish comments converted to English?   Hmmm.  Ok.  Go ahead and spin that.   I'm not biting.  Ok i did but just relax ok. 

Edited by IBatch
  • RoughGame 1

11 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

Even when we had both the Sedins and Bieksa it's likely every player wasn't like them. You're not going to get a locker room full of those guys on one team at all times. KB3 saying he'd go down with the ship after years of playing alongside a successful Canucks squad isn't the same as RFA Pettersson, that's a false equivalency. 

Who cares if his social media pops up? He's a star in a Canadian market, that comes with the territory. 

Carrying the weight? What the hell are you expecting of 22 year old Pettersson, 21 year old Hughes, and 24 year old Boeser? There's a reason hockey is a team sport. They're doing just fine, ain't their fault last season was a cluster&^@#. And no, they don't have to prove anything to want a winning team. Almost every guy who makes the NHL wants to win, they prove that by spending years pursuing making the NHL. 

He's not signed, neither is Hughes. Should we make endless threads about him too? About how he wants to go play with his brothers in Jersey? Oh, wait.. that's already happening.  

Horvat signed his second deal in September, the world was gonna end then too. His not being signed doesn't have to mean something is dodgy regarding his wanting to be here. 

Well that’s the way our organizations mindset is designed and that’s good and I can give more examples besides the Bieksa one. If you focus on being methodical with who you obtain and how you develop them like Benning is, than you can indeed have a locker room full of those types of players. Otherwise you have one too many Ryan Keslers with his two-face behaviour, attitude, and sleeping with Cory Schneiders fiancée, one too many Nate Schmidts being quitters after one pandemic riddled season, or one too many Cody Hodgsons being yes young and talented but injury riddled and whiners when not given ice time they think they’re entitled to. The comment on social media was a shot at the immature young punks on the Maple Leafs like Matthews and Nylander who always post showing off on social media and clearly care about that more than winning in the playoffs or being mature leaders. And yeah at their age I expect weight carrying. When the Blackhawks won their first cup P.Kane and J.Toews were 21, N.Hjalmarsson was 22, and C.Barker, D.Bolland, B.Bickell were all 23. Other cup wins include Crosby and Malkin being 21&22, Letang being 21.  Toffoli and Pearson being 21.  Sergachev being 21 and then 22, Point being 22 and then 23, Cernak and Cirelli being 22 and then 23.

• Wat 1

Let's be patient here.

Don't give up too early on your franchise player who is at PPG since he entered the league. 

Petey's comment is not about the Canucks but about wanting to win. That's fine.

He just just has to understand that he's the one that has to lead us there (along with QH, BB, BH, Miller, OEL, Hog & Pod, ...).

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

59 minutes ago, khay said:

Let's be patient here.

Don't give up too early on your franchise player who is at PPG since he entered the league. 

Petey's comment is not about the Canucks but about wanting to win. That's fine.

He just just has to understand that he's the one that has to lead us there (along with QH, BB, BH, Miller, OEL, Hog & Pod, ...).

He’s not been a PPG since he came in the league. He had 17 points in 16 playoff games on a hot streak deep playoff team. Other than that he’s had 66 in 71, 66 in 68, and 21 in 26. And has had a concussion, knee injury, and now a wrist injury that kept him out the longest. Let be patient with a player of his style and upside. But let’s also not do the usual Vancouver thing and hold a player because he’s a fan favourite and let his value diminish with time and/or injuries and/or situation. Wether it was translated or not Pettersson never used the words we should be looking for in “I want to be a Canuck for life” or “I’ll do whatever it takes to bring the Stanley Cup to Vancouver” or “I want to retire there and keep developing to be the best player there for a long time”. He said “We’ll see when my next contracts up” and “I just want to be where there’s a chance of winning”.

As it stands if there was an opening for one of these. I would trade Pettersson for Barzal right now. Or Pettersson for Zibanejad and a 1st right now.

13 minutes ago, ZH96 said:

So for example Lamoriello says you can have a healthier, faster, and more aggressive hometown Barzal who’s scored at the basically same rate… for Pettersson. You say no?

Which one of the dozen or so proposals was this? My eyes kinda glazed over after the first couple. 

To answer your question, Barzal would get my attention, however we don’t know what Petey’s ceiling is yet. This is a kid that Gretzky himself said he had better hands than he did.

I’m hoping Petey can return to the player he was in his rookie season and that last year was an anomaly.

If he can stay healthy and adapt to the extra pressure he is getting from opposing teams he could really be a special player for us. 

I’d like to stay the course and see what this kid can become. 

• Cheers 1