The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Proposal] Elias Pettersson change of scenery

You just had to put in  "change of scenery".

There are only literally a handful of players that you can link with the Sedins. You can't expect every player to have the same thought process or mindset as them.

We as a fanbase were truly spoiled to have players like the Sedins. 

Every player has the right to try to win and the right move onto other teams when their commitment contractually to the team ends. 

Having said that, that's a deal I'll pass on but to make a proposal for the sake of what Petey said in that he wants to be on a "winning team" makes me smh.

Edited by PetterssonOrPeterson
  • Cheers 2

Lol losing players lose. 

Alex Edler wanted to sink with the ship and now he's at the bottom of the ocean with the titanic. 

Yes we all love the Canucks, but we all accept medcriocity from them every year. We need more Pettersson and Kesler's. Less Edlers. 

4 hours ago, IBatch said:

Yes.   The entire season was fantasizing what JB could do after then season with all that extra cash - but was also aware the that it was a little too little too late with both Miller and Horvats deals looming.    A massive part of strapping the team with Holbty and to a way lesser degree but still valid, JVs buyout plus was doing the most possible right now to give the team two post seasons with essentially best he could do.   In that regard i don't have much doubt.   He gambled on Garland but the upside for sure is there ... following in St. Louis's footsteps.   With OEL too.   The potential right now, with the forward group is very high.    D is still a ? mark but it had been since he took over more or less.      We could make three scoring lines now.  Hope we at least try it - and one exceptional shut down line Motte Sutter Dickinson (unlike some i don't see him as a scoring third line C... and don't think we need to insulate a third line anymore either).    Most of the money sitting on the sidelines is now available from game one and on.   Last year our record sucked for a few reasons, but we're we ever really destroyed?  No we were not.   A lot of close games i think we have a much better chance in winning.  

Holtby's buyout was unfortunate. I thought for sure they'd wait for the 2nd buyout window but apparently they wanted to give him a chance to get a good landing spot. So thats a classy step, but that 1.9 mil is going to hurt a bit. I suppose they could have paid to move him but I'm glad we didn't shed more picks too.

If Petey comes in ~7 mil, we might have one of the best $/production lineups next year. There's just no wasted space there, unless you really want to moan about 500k "extra" for Pearson.

I see people still complaining about Myers at 6 mil even though thats the price of a legit top 4 RHD, and OEL of course. But lets say Myers is "overpaid" by 1 mil each, hardly the end of the world as predicted by some.

I'm very happy with the moves, and do expect maybe 1 more C depth PTO or 1 mil aav deal yet. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ZH96 said:

Well that’s the way our organizations mindset is designed and that’s good and I can give more examples besides the Bieksa one. If you focus on being methodical with who you obtain and how you develop them like Benning is, than you can indeed have a locker room full of those types of players. Otherwise you have one too many Ryan Keslers with his two-face behaviour, attitude, and sleeping with Cory Schneiders fiancée, one too many Nate Schmidts being quitters after one pandemic riddled season, or one too many Cody Hodgsons being yes young and talented but injury riddled and whiners when not given ice time they think they’re entitled to. The comment on social media was a shot at the immature young punks on the Maple Leafs like Matthews and Nylander who always post showing off on social media and clearly care about that more than winning in the playoffs or being mature leaders. And yeah at their age I expect weight carrying. When the Blackhawks won their first cup P.Kane and J.Toews were 21, N.Hjalmarsson was 22, and C.Barker, D.Bolland, B.Bickell were all 23. Other cup wins include Crosby and Malkin being 21&22, Letang being 21.  Toffoli and Pearson being 21.  Sergachev being 21 and then 22, Point being 22 and then 23, Cernak and Cirelli being 22 and then 23.

Damn, you an expert on the mindset of this organization now? You'll be fine waiting then, because it sounds an awful lot like they simply want to win. You make it sound like Pettersson's some kind of cancer, which is absolutely ridiculous. 

Full of those players? Damn, only way you gonna get that is by somehow cloning Horvat. As much as you pretend to know these guys, you have no idea what they're like in person or in the room. "Be like x or he's not wanted here and should be looked at to be moved out" is the kind of outlook that has the Canucks fanbase perceived as cancerous. 

Kesler was Kesler, bad example. Kes, Burr, and Juice were all players you loved to have but hated to play against, they could absolutely be assholes. We weren't just the most hated team team in the league because we were talented. We don't know the details of why Schmidt wanted out, but his wanting out doesn't necessarily paint his character as bad, you're reaching. Hodgeson's injury wasn't handled properly, and rare is the prospect we've had come through who's had the expectations he did. Petey's already proven more than Coho ever did at the professional level, bad example. 

Okay, but what does a shot at the Maple Leafs have to do with any of this then? 

Your expectations are probs a bit unrealistic then. Crosby and Malkin are two of the best players ever, and were top flight talents beyond any of our guys right out the gate. Tampa was a super team lead by Hedman, Stamkos, Kucherov, and Vasilevskiy, it was also a team full of vets. The players you've mentioned, Point aside, weren't driving forces on either of those cup winning teams. 

Toffoli and Pearson? Heavy lifting? That's revisionist history. During the 2013-2014 regular season Toffoli had 29 points in 62 games, during the playoffs he had 14 in 26. Pearson, same year, had 7 points in 25 games during the regular season and 12 in 24 come playoff time. Wanna know who lead the Kings that year? It wasn't them. It was Kopitar, Doughty, Carter, Williams, Mitchell, Gaborik, and Voynov. Also, Quick being at the top of his game. Numbers are right here, go have a look. https://www.hockey-reference.com/teams/LAK/2014.html

Only example you've given that holds any weight would be the 2010 Blackhawks, and clearly, if you go and look at recent up winners, that's not the norm for young teams. Expecting our core of young players to be the anomaly is setting yourself up for disappointment. 

Edited by Coconuts
  • Cheers 1

4 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

Holtby's buyout was unfortunate. I thought for sure they'd wait for the 2nd buyout window but apparently they wanted to give him a chance to get a good landing spot. So thats a classy step, but that 1.9 mil is going to hurt a bit. I suppose they could have paid to move him but I'm glad we didn't shed more picks too.

If Petey comes in ~7 mil, we might have one of the best $/production lineups next year. There's just no wasted space there, unless you really want to moan about 500k "extra" for Pearson.

I see people still complaining about Myers at 6 mil even though thats the price of a legit top 4 RHD, and OEL of course. But lets say Myers is "overpaid" by 1 mil each, hardly the end of the world as predicted by some.

I'm very happy with the moves, and do expect maybe 1 more C depth PTO or 1 mil aav deal yet. 

For me at least, anyone who's been around since at least the Sedin team shouldn't be whining about Myers.  Ballard.  Booth.  Cap percentage.   The same.  Gigantic hole...wanted to come here and really he did take a discount, left 1 year at least on the table...that's a lot of money.   I wanted Pearson traded ... but have zero issue with his contract either.  Garland is the biggest risk, even bigger the OEL because he's of the role he's taking over.   But the reward is equal to it.   If 80% of what he's done works out we should be in gravy.  

• Vintage 1

56 minutes ago, ZH96 said:

He’s not been a PPG since he came in the league. He had 17 points in 16 playoff games on a hot streak deep playoff team. Other than that he’s had 66 in 71, 66 in 68, and 21 in 26. And has had a concussion, knee injury, and now a wrist injury that kept him out the longest. Let be patient with a player of his style and upside. But let’s also not do the usual Vancouver thing and hold a player because he’s a fan favourite and let his value diminish with time and/or injuries and/or situation. Wether it was translated or not Pettersson never used the words we should be looking for in “I want to be a Canuck for life” or “I’ll do whatever it takes to bring the Stanley Cup to Vancouver” or “I want to retire there and keep developing to be the best player there for a long time”. He said “We’ll see when my next contracts up” and “I just want to be where there’s a chance of winning”.

As it stands if there was an opening for one of these. I would trade Pettersson for Barzal right now. Or Pettersson for Zibanejad and a 1st right now.

Pettersson for Barzal? That's not a bad trade but would NYI do the trade when they already have a team that can reach the ECF with Barzal? 

Also, Pettersson has higher upside IMO. That's the thing with all of the trades you proposed: Petey has higher upside than (almost) all of the players that we are getting back in return. Any trade involving Petey could be the 2nd coming of Cam Neely trade. Give up on a player too soon and the guy dominates the league and becomes a hall of famer.

I get why you are upset. But contract nego is the business side of the game so just let it slide. In fact, after making that comment, I'd say he's put more pressure on himself. If he comes back next season and doesn't improve on his previous seasons, people will start to ask questions: "I thought you wanted to play for a winner, but are you a winner? Your play on the ice has stagnated."

Regarding PPG, I'd say 66/71, 66/68, 21/25 is about PPG. If you want to be technically correct, then sure, he's slightly below PPG. Don't know why you'd care about that technicality though.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

15 minutes ago, IBatch said:

For me at least, anyone who's been around since at least the Sedin team shouldn't be whining about Myers.  Ballard.  Booth.  Cap percentage.   The same.  Gigantic hole...wanted to come here and really he did take a discount, left 1 year at least on the table...that's a lot of money.   I wanted Pearson traded ... but have zero issue with his contract either.  Garland is the biggest risk, even bigger the OEL because he's of the role he's taking over.   But the reward is equal to it.   If 80% of what he's done works out we should be in gravy.  

Big difference between the two is the Ballard *NEVER* looked anywhere remotely close to what he was brought in here for (though he was damaged goods when we got him, didn't he have some kind of major him surgery in the offseason?).  Booth actually was putting up top 6 type numbers before that Avs player took him out with a 'knee on knee' hit.  Never was the same after that cheapshot.  Now his 'off the ice' stuff I could've done without though.:lol:

2 hours ago, ZH96 said:

Well that’s the way our organizations mindset is designed and that’s good and I can give more examples besides the Bieksa one. If you focus on being methodical with who you obtain and how you develop them like Benning is, than you can indeed have a locker room full of those types of players. Otherwise you have one too many Ryan Keslers with his two-face behaviour, attitude, and sleeping with Cory Schneiders fiancée, one too many Nate Schmidts being quitters after one pandemic riddled season, or one too many Cody Hodgsons being yes young and talented but injury riddled and whiners when not given ice time they think they’re entitled to. The comment on social media was a shot at the immature young punks on the Maple Leafs like Matthews and Nylander who always post showing off on social media and clearly care about that more than winning in the playoffs or being mature leaders. And yeah at their age I expect weight carrying. When the Blackhawks won their first cup P.Kane and J.Toews were 21, N.Hjalmarsson was 22, and C.Barker, D.Bolland, B.Bickell were all 23. Other cup wins include Crosby and Malkin being 21&22, Letang being 21.  Toffoli and Pearson being 21.  Sergachev being 21 and then 22, Point being 22 and then 23, Cernak and Cirelli being 22 and then 23.

Comments on social media?  Ok well... i guess this is social media (my kids explained that) but what the heck are you talking about!    This is some strange mind f!ck stuff.    What is the actual point you are trying to make anyways?  Point at  22 and 23 won what exactly?  I'm confused.   You can take any cup winner and find some young people and say blah blah.   What about St. louis!  Or PIT 2.0 ... or WSH!  Don't they count?  Gelinas, Linden, Ronning ... Bure and ahem Antoski and Lafayette were two goals away (a cross bar and an open net from beating one of the best teams ever assembled (ok as in top 20 but still it was!).    I'm not sure what this post means.  Does it mean social media matters?  Hint, im sorry it does not.  What about Kesler screwing Corey Schneider's fiancée again?  Source (omg is it social media?!!!).   Bieksa why are you even talking about him anyways.  Leave him out please.  Why is Nate Schmidt a quitter too?  We traded him lol.  Just odd on top of odd.  What i'd suggest is this: followed by this:Amy Sedaris Beer GIF by truTV’s At Home with Amy Sedarisamy sedaris relax GIF by truTV’s At Home with Amy Sedaris

1 hour ago, Roger Neilsons Towel said:

Which one of the dozen or so proposals was this? My eyes kinda glazed over after the first couple. 

To answer your question, Barzal would get my attention, however we don’t know what Petey’s ceiling is yet. This is a kid that Gretzky himself said he had better hands than he did.

I’m hoping Petey can return to the player he was in his rookie season and that last year was an anomaly.

If he can stay healthy and adapt to the extra pressure he is getting from opposing teams he could really be a special player for us. 

I’d like to stay the course and see what this kid can become. 

It was in my Pettersson to NYI proposal. Maybe read all of them properly and understand the players and/or prospects involved first before commenting. Very tempting packages. What Gretzky said is irrelevant. Gretzky couldn’t even last as the coach of a sub-par team and he played back when the goalies all stood straight up half the time and when there was no change yet in stickhandling becoming smoother and wavier and less blocky and with all the equipment advances. 50%-75% of the players in todays NHL have better hands than Gretzky did. What Gretzky also said is Petterssons IQ and style reminds him of himself. That’s it. 

“If he can stay healthy and adapt to the extra pressure he is getting from opposing teams”… that’s some big ifs. Looks like ever since Pettersson had 3/4 of a dominant first season and playoff run the next year, he’s been getting more figured out by other teams, had less space, made less moves with the puck in tight, been less effective, and getting more injured. Two of his four serious injuries came in that first rookie dominant season. (Concussion and knee injury).

5 minutes ago, ZH96 said:

It was in my Pettersson to NYI proposal. Maybe read all of them properly and understand the players and/or prospects involved first before commenting. Very tempting packages. What Gretzky said is irrelevant. Gretzky couldn’t even last as the coach of a sub-par team and he played back when the goalies all stood straight up half the time and when there was no change yet in stickhandling becoming smoother and wavier and less blocky and with all the equipment advances. 50%-75% of the players in todays NHL have better hands than Gretzky did. What Gretzky also said is Petterssons IQ and style reminds him of himself. That’s it. 

“If he can stay healthy and adapt to the extra pressure he is getting from opposing teams”… that’s some big ifs. Looks like ever since Pettersson had 3/4 of a dominant first season and playoff run the next year, he’s been getting more figured out by other teams, had less space, made less moves with the puck in tight, been less effective, and getting more injured. Two of his four serious injuries came in that first rookie dominant season. (Concussion and knee injury).

It was a gif that said No. 

As in no I wouldn’t trade Pettersson. 

Makes the rest irrelevant. 

50-75% of the league has better hands than Gretzky did?

Check please. 

• Cheers 1

9 hours ago, Fanuck said:

This thread is an example of why this market is considered 'toxic'.  Some unknown 'staffer' at a major sports media outlet in Canada takes a translated interview by a Swedish nobody blogger, then creates a story with a slant that infers EP may or may not want to play here, then local media fuel a fictional narrative that there is a rift between the player/franchise, and a certain group of CDC'ers would use this garbage reporting to trade the kid to anyplace for what have you and a bag of pucks.  What a joke.  

There's a reason why nobody at Sportsnet would put their own name/reputation on that story and why Daliwal can't actually report any real facts on the negotiation - because these so called journalists don't know anything about what's actually  going on. Please think about this before creating more senseless threads based on fabricated social media posts.

WTF is going on.  This is ridiculous.  I think that fans have become so obsessed with Trade Deadline, Draft, and Free Agent Frenzy, they care more about movement than they do about the team.  

I can't believe I have to say this but, we are so blessed to have drafted EP and QH at 5th and 7th overall, just sit back now and enjoy them.  I love watching these two play and have no interest in watching them play elsewhere.  They are both incredibly driven and world class talents.  I would say already they are top 10 talents we have ever had, and they are in their very early 20's.  After a couple of years they will be stronger, wiser and will be truly dominant players.

Top 10 all time 

Bure

Sedin

Sedin

Naslund

Mogilny

Luongo

EP

Hughes

Bertuzzi

Edler

I left off Reinhart because of his short Canucks' career.

I think EP and Hughes could challenge everybody above them when their careers are over.

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

59 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

Damn, you an expert on the mindset of this organization now? You'll be fine waiting then, because it sounds an awful lot like they simply want to win. You make it sound like Pettersson's some kind of cancer, which is absolutely ridiculous. 

Full of those players? Damn, only way you gonna get that is by somehow cloning Horvat. As much as you pretend to know these guys, you have no idea what they're like in person or in the room. "Be like x or he's not wanted here and should be looked at to be moved out" is the kind of outlook that has the Canucks fanbase perceived as cancerous. 

Kesler was Kesler, bad example. Kes, Burr, and Juice were all players you loved to have but hated to play against, they could absolutely be assholes. We weren't just the most hated team team in the league because we were talented. We don't know the details of why Schmidt wanted out, but his wanting out doesn't necessarily paint his character as bad, you're reaching. Hodgeson's injury wasn't handled properly, and rare is the prospect we've had come through who's had the expectations he did. Petey's already proven more than Coho ever did at the professional level, bad example. 

Okay, but what does a shot at the Maple Leafs have to do with any of this then? 

Your expectations are probs a bit unrealistic then. Crosby and Malkin are two of the best players ever, and were top flight talents beyond any of our guys right out the gate. Tampa was a super team lead by Hedman, Stamkos, Kucherov, and Vasilevskiy, it was also a team full of vets. The players you've mentioned, Point aside, weren't driving forces on either of those cup winning teams. 

Toffoli and Pearson? Heavy lifting? That's revisionist history. During the 2013-2014 regular season Toffoli had 29 points in 62 games, during the playoffs he had 14 in 26. Pearson, same year, had 7 points in 25 games during the regular season and 12 in 24 come playoff time. Wanna know who lead the Kings that year? It wasn't them. It was Kopitar, Doughty, Carter, Williams, Mitchell, Gaborik, and Voynov. Also, Quick being at the top of his game. Numbers are right here, go have a look. https://www.hockey-reference.com/teams/LAK/2014.html

Only example you've given that holds any weight would be the 2010 Blackhawks, and clearly, if you go and look at recent up winners, that's not the norm for young teams. Expecting our core of young players to be the anomaly is setting yourself up for disappointment. 

From my time playing Jr. A and who I grew up  playing, training with, hanging around, and knowing, I have connections to the Maple Leafs, Canucks, many many Junior, Europe Pro, AHL, and ECHL teams, and more. And I was not talking about if players like Kesler, Burrows, Bieksa,etc can be ***holes on the ice. But their character as people and athletes with the community, media, and everywhere. Think what we heard about the Sedins, Burrows, Hamhuis, Bieksa, Hansen, etc in public. Great people. I met Burrows at my longtime hockey school rink and he was one of the nicest people I’ve ever come across. And that rubs off on the ice and locker room too. Kesler was a cancer and I’ve heard first-hand horror stories from official Canucks hockey-ops of him sleeping with

Cory Schneiders fiancée and that being why Schneider came to management and said “either he goes or I go” and therefore the Schneider to NJD trade happened and one summer later Kesler was traded too, to ANA. Also of Kesler being rude to fans on multiple occasions. Schmidt was clearly a cancer and he seemed effortless out there. Look at the fight as well between Motte and Gaudette in training camp last season and then Gaudette being traded at the deadline and the whole team unfollowing him on social media is what unfolds? Start to connect the dots sometimes! Cancers and bad egos come into our organization now and then and we have never been a team to stand for it. If Evgeny Kuznetsov was a Canuck he would have been traded for anything and kicked onto a bus to the airport a year ago, with what he’s pulled off the ice with the Capitals. I was not calling Pettersson a cancer. I was saying his choice of words and demeanour as of late were not exactly comforting and given also his injuries and struggles of late. Trading him for a center like Barzal or Zibanejad+ would replace him and possibly make us even better right now while not sacrificing the future core picture. The shot at the Maple Leafs is the fact Matthews and Marner just like Pettersson are elite young forward talents that want (and got) big money, play well all season, and still have lots to prove and seem to love their social media and fame. I can tell you right now too that Matthews and Nylander are part of the reason that team has character issues and will see that natural talent will only get them so far. There is character, partying, cocaine, and distraction issues in those players for sure. This is not rumours or gossip. Also on age and weight carrying in winning teams. So what Crosby and Malkin are two of the best players ever? They’re the best players on Pittsburgh as are Pettersson and Hughes for us. And Pittsburgh leaned on Sid and Geno at a young age to go to back to back Game 7 SCFs and win the second one. So why can’t we lean on Pettersson (and Hughes/Boeser/Horvat/prospects coming) the same way? They’re our best players after all. If they and Pettersson want to win. Make it happen. So what if Tampa Bay was a super team? Without even two of the young players I mentioned (Point, Cirelli, Sergachev, Cernak) they don’t win the last two cups. So those two examples as well as the Chicago one, hold a lot of weight. As does the LA one. Yes Toffoli and Pearson did heavy lifting. Did you forget about LAs key second line that was relied upon in clutch scoring and 200 foot play in

Pearson-Carter-Toffoli? Once again without Pearson and Toffoli even at 21 years old then, LA doesn’t win the cup. 

12 minutes ago, ZH96 said:

From my time playing Jr. A and who I grew up  playing, training with, hanging around, and knowing, I have connections to the Maple Leafs, Canucks, many many Junior, Europe Pro, AHL, and ECHL teams, and more. And I was not talking about if players like Kesler, Burrows, Bieksa,etc can be ***holes on the ice. But their character as people and athletes with the community, media, and everywhere. Think what we heard about the Sedins, Burrows, Hamhuis, Bieksa, Hansen, etc in public. Great people. I met Burrows at my longtime hockey school rink and he was one of the nicest people I’ve ever come across. And that rubs off on the ice and locker room too. Kesler was a cancer and I’ve heard first-hand horror stories from official Canucks hockey-ops of him sleeping with

Cory Schneiders fiancée and that being why Schneider came to management and said “either he goes or I go” and therefore the Schneider to NJD trade happened and one summer later Kesler was traded too, to ANA. Also of Kesler being rude to fans on multiple occasions. Schmidt was clearly a cancer and he seemed effortless out there. Look at the fight as well between Motte and Gaudette in training camp last season and then Gaudette being traded at the deadline and the whole team unfollowing him on social media is what unfolds? Start to connect the dots sometimes! Cancers and bad egos come into our organization now and then and we have never been a team to stand for it. If Evgeny Kuznetsov was a Canuck he would have been traded for anything and kicked onto a bus to the airport a year ago, with what he’s pulled off the ice with the Capitals. I was not calling Pettersson a cancer. I was saying his choice of words and demeanour as of late were not exactly comforting and given also his injuries and struggles of late. Trading him for a center like Barzal or Zibanejad+ would replace him and possibly make us even better right now while not sacrificing the future core picture. The shot at the Maple Leafs is the fact Matthews and Marner just like Pettersson are elite young forward talents that want (and got) big money, play well all season, and still have lots to prove and seem to love their social media and fame. I can tell you right now too that Matthews and Nylander are part of the reason that team has character issues and will see that natural talent will only get them so far. There is character, partying, cocaine, and distraction issues in those players for sure. This is not rumours or gossip. Also on age and weight carrying in winning teams. So what Crosby and Malkin are two of the best players ever? They’re the best players on Pittsburgh as are Pettersson and Hughes for us. And Pittsburgh leaned on Sid and Geno at a young age to go to back to back Game 7 SCFs and win the second one. So why can’t we lean on Pettersson (and Hughes/Boeser/Horvat/prospects coming) the same way? They’re our best players after all. If they and Pettersson want to win. Make it happen. So what if Tampa Bay was a super team? Without even two of the young players I mentioned (Point, Cirelli, Sergachev, Cernak) they don’t win the last two cups. So those two examples as well as the Chicago one, hold a lot of weight. As does the LA one. Yes Toffoli and Pearson did heavy lifting. Did you forget about LAs key second line that was relied upon in clutch scoring and 200 foot play in

Pearson-Carter-Toffoli? Once again without Pearson and Toffoli even at 21 years old then, LA doesn’t win the cup. 

Yeah, I'm not reading that. 

If you're going to debate with people you really need to break your posts up into paragraphs. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, PetterssonOrPeterson said:

You just had to put in  "change of scenery".

There are only literally a handful of players that you can link with the Sedins. You can't expect every player to have the same thought process or mindset as them.

We as a fanbase were truly spoiled to have players like the Sedins. 

Every player has the right to try to win and the right move onto other teams when their commitment contractually to the team ends. 

Having said that, that's a deal I'll pass on but to make a proposal for the sake of what Petey said in that he wants to be on a "winning team" makes me smh.

Hypothetically speaking you’re sitting in an office as GM and your phone rings. You’ll pass on this…

“Hey we’d swap Mathew Barzal for EP and send his tough guy Ross Johnston and prospect Kieffer Bellows too.”

”Hey we’d swap Mika Zibanejad for EP and give you guys a 1st round pick and another piece too. Just send a pick our way as well.”

“Hey you want Martin Necas and Seth Jarvis (who’s a top prospect center with a connection to our assistant coach) for Pettersson? Throw in two C prospects like Brisebois and Jasek and you can have Brady Skjei and a 1st and 2nd too.”

Not to mention my other proposals had other serious upside prospects. And you said it yourself every player has the right to try and win and if it doesn’t work out, move on when their contract ends. But do we want those types of players or attitude players? Especially a player of Petterssons caliber the last thing we need is him signing a 3-4 year bridge deal and walking even after a cup win in that time (which could easily happen). Really think why over the years these players didn’t work out and were shipped out without much hesitation at all.

Christian Ehrhoff, Ryan Kesler, Jared McCann, Nate Schmidt, Zack Kassian, Cody Hodgson,

Adam Gaudette.

We were indeed spoiled with the Sedins. That doesn’t mean we can’t look for character players and people like them and build the team a very specific way. As Benning is. 

6 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

Yeah, I'm not reading that. 

If you're going to debate with people you really need to break your posts up into paragraphs. 

You should try reading it and actually comprehending what I’m saying to see that you don’t have a valid point in what you said and that you’re comparing oranges to apples. 

41 minutes ago, Roger Neilsons Towel said:

It was a gif that said No. 

As in no I wouldn’t trade Pettersson. 

Makes the rest irrelevant. 

50-75% of the league has better hands than Gretzky did?

Check please. 

You answered with a GIF saying “No”. Really shows your case and point… give a reason why you wouldn’t trade Pettersson or better yet why you wouldn’t trade Pettersson for Barzal or Pettersson for Zibanejad and a 1st or Pettersson for Benn and Gurianov. I’ll wait. 
Makes everything I say relevant until you show you have valid reasons. Gretzky played how long ago? The league has changed how much? The development of hockey and the way the puck is handled and shot and players skate and goalies move and stand has changed how much? The sticks and skates and equipment has changed how much? Comparing 2021 NHLers to a 1979-1999 NHLer is difficult. And at the end of the day. Most players in today’s advancement of skill development and equipment advancement, have better hands than even Gretzky from that era. And Gretzky was never known for “hands” in fact he today and all the management back when he was a rookie talked about how he wasn’t big at all in fact could barely do push-ups, wasn’t very fast in his stride, didn’t shoot very hard (where do you think the Gretzky can’t raise the puck jokes came from), and didn’t have that much skill. What he had was a type of IQ that was like as if he “could see the ice from

above and know a play would happen before it happened.” As well as a relentless won’t be stopped work ethic. 

‘Checkmate*!’

2 hours ago, Zhukini said:

Lol losing players lose. 

Alex Edler wanted to sink with the ship and now he's at the bottom of the ocean with the titanic. 

Yes we all love the Canucks, but we all accept medcriocity from them every year. We need more Pettersson and Kesler's. Less Edlers. 

No we need players with Petterssons skill-set but the attitude and mindset of the Sedins. Which is exactly what Benning is trying to build and Linden wanted the same thing. It’s why guys like Virtanen and Schmidt are no longer here and guys like Dickinson and Ekman-Larsson are. I’ve been going around trying to get people on the forum to wrap that around their heads. Maybe this will settle it. Benning said that a big reason they like Dickinson is he was one of the main players that lead the NHLers against racism group. They traded for him because of his character as a person not just his two-way ability on the ice. With Ekman-Larsson it’s his quality as a person and leader not the fact he’s been captaining, eating minutes, and playing every role on a re-building team. Even back when they drafted Boeser it wasn’t just his skill-set. The guy took an autistic girl to prom just to make her happy. He’s an incredible person. This is the identity we want in our organization. Don’t like it? Don’t let the door hit you on the way out. Doesn’t matter if you’re Pettersson and Podkolzin or another Chaput and McMillan. Buy in. Work the process. Win the cup as the best team and community people for the city. Or the door is open to leave. Period.

1 hour ago, khay said:

Pettersson for Barzal? That's not a bad trade but would NYI do the trade when they already have a team that can reach the ECF with Barzal? 

Also, Pettersson has higher upside IMO. That's the thing with all of the trades you proposed: Petey has higher upside than (almost) all of the players that we are getting back in return. Any trade involving Petey could be the 2nd coming of Cam Neely trade. Give up on a player too soon and the guy dominates the league and becomes a hall of famer.

I get why you are upset. But contract nego is the business side of the game so just let it slide. In fact, after making that comment, I'd say he's put more pressure on himself. If he comes back next season and doesn't improve on his previous seasons, people will start to ask questions: "I thought you wanted to play for a winner, but are you a winner? Your play on the ice has stagnated."

Regarding PPG, I'd say 66/71, 66/68, 21/25 is about PPG. If you want to be technically correct, then sure, he's slightly below PPG. Don't know why you'd care about that technicality though.

Given that Pettersson has had a five game absence concussion, six game absence knee injury, one game absence lower body right after the knee, and now a thirty game absence wrist injury.. compared to Barzal having been in the league basically two years longer and having far more playoff games but only missing one game with a little undisclosed injury. And Barzal (yes with Tavares being there then and helping him) but an 85 points in 82 games rookie season {while Petterssons best is 66 in 68}.. I’d say Barzal is the one with more upside. Barzal is fairly young too and is the one people say may be just as fast as McDavid if not faster… Pettersson is nowhere near as quick as Barzal nor does he have the same puck-handling speed. Imagine Barzal in the middle with Boeser on his right wing and Podkolzin or Klimovich on his left… and the motivation of playing in your hometown.

16 hours ago, ZH96 said:

Elias Petterssons recent interview comments are not “that concerning” but more-so slightly odd and not exactly what we want to hear from an organization that wants “community-focused, mature, example-setting, leaders”. Do you think the Sedins ever said back in the day at Petterssons age before their new contracts “we just want to be where there’s a chance of winning” ?. No. They committed to this organization and trained and played like their lives depended on a cup win only here every year. Kevin Bieksa once said “I’ll go down with the ship” before Benning traded him to Anaheim. We’re not just building the right skill-sets and playing style here. We’re building a culture and a mindset. We don’t need more “I want out and to win now” 
Ryan Keslers and Nate Schmidts. And what Pettersson said the other day personally did not impress me and no I don’t think there’s anything wrong with it but also the last thing we need is him signing a 3-4 year bridge deal and walking as a UFA later on if we don’t have a cup by then (or walking regardless which could happen). Yes he’s quite young and has been developing and filling out his frame.. but a six game absence concussion, five game absence knee injury, one game absence lower body injury shortly after, and now a 30 game absence wrist injury, is starting to be concerning. Personally while his value is high and while he’s young and still basically healthy, I would trade him and build around..

Garland -Klimovich- Podkolzin

Miller -Horvat- Boeser

Pearson -Dickinson- Hoglander

Motte -Focht- Lockwood

*?*?Gadjovich -Highmore- MacEwen

Plasek -McDonough- Rempal*?*?

Ekman-Larsson - Hamonic

Hughes - Poolman

Juolevi - Myers

*?*?Rathbone - Schenn

Utunen - Woo*?*?

Demko

Halak

*?DiPietro

Silovs*?

I have multiple scenarios here so read through carefully.

Hurricanes acquire: F Elias Pettersson

D Guillaume Brisebois

F Lukas Jasek

(Conditional) 2nd Round Draft Pick 2024

Canucks acquire: F Martin Necas

D Brady Skjei

F Seth Jarvis

1st Round Draft Pick 2023

2nd Round Draft Pick 2023

Stars acquire: F Elias Pettersson

RW William Lockwood

3rd Round Draft Pick 2024 

Canucks acquire: F Jamie Benn

W Denis Gurianov

F Ty Dellandrea

Red Wings acquire: F Elias Pettersson

RW William Lockwood

Canucks acquire: W Filip Zadina

D Gustav Lindstrom

F Tyler Bertuzzi

2nd Round Draft Pick 2022

7th Round Draft Pick 2023

Panthers acquire: F Elias Pettersson

RW William Lockwood

(Conditional) 3rd Round Draft Pick 2024

Canucks acquire: RW Owen Tippett

W Grigori Denisenko

F Eetu Luostarinen

D Michael Benning

Predators acquire: F Elias Pettersson

D Travis Hamonic

4th Round Draft Pick 2024

Canucks acquire: D Dante Fabbro

F Philip Tomasino

F Yakov Trenin

F Colton Sissons

1st Round Draft Pick 2024

Devils acquire: F Elias Pettersson

F Aidan McDonough

2nd Round Draft Pick 2024

Canucks acquire: F Pavel Zacha

F Yegor Sharangovich

Islanders acquire: F Elias Pettersson

F Jonah Gadjovich

RW William Lockwood

(Conditional) 3rd Round Draft Pick 2024                           

Canucks acquire: F Mathew Barzal

F Kieffer Bellows

LW Ross Johnston

2nd Round Draft Pick 2023

Rangers acquire: F Elias Pettersson

F Lukas Jasek

7th Round Draft Pick 2024

Canucks acquire: F Mika Zibanejad

F Dryden Hunt

1st Round Draft Pick 2022

{Rangers re-sign F Mika Zibanejad before trading him to the Canucks in this deal.}

lol.lol

These  trade only made on NHL video games...

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 2