The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

NHL owners approve jersey ads for 2022-23 season

Rate this topic

1 hour ago, -DLC- said:

I feel like this was inevitable....I'm ok with it, as long as they don't try to one up each other with some crazy stuff.

"It is what it is" (this is the quotes thread, right?)

Not okay with it, but it is what it is.

My wallet doesn't mean ***t to them anyway, but I'll somehow find a way to give them even less mind and wallet share.

• Vintage 1

10 minutes ago, Dazzle said:

I feel like this might be a tad of an overreaction because most team sports have advertisements. The NHL was one of the few that didn't have that. The other one I'm thinking of, but maybe misremembering, is football.

We already have players being sponsored by certain products, and players have no issue advertising for companies that give them free stuff. If more money can be infused into the game, the more exposure there will be, which will actually increase the competition of the NHL versus other sports.

I don't really see what the outrage is about. It's capitalism. There's going to be good and bad parts about it. Advertisements aren't really that bad, given how bad capitalism can really get. The European leagues, as someone mentioned, have so many ads. The fact that we have resisted for so long is pretty incredible.

I'm looking through an old school yearbook that had ads and, honestly, it can be cool to have a glimpse into history by way of that.

One page had 7 out of the 10 pretty big at the time businesses (here) that are no longer in existence.  Was a trip down memory lane.

Rod's Building Supplies, BC Packers, Marine Grocery.

One day we may have a jersey that shows some history.

• Cheers 2

2 minutes ago, Where's Wellwood said:

I don't mind the size of the patch. I'm concerned with how many different patches will be on the jersey.

If it's just one or two patches on the shoulders or something, then fine.

If it's 15 different patches scattered around the front and back of the jersey, then it'd be horrendous

E9ARe8tXEAkMQIH?format=jpg&name=large

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

As long as the NHL doesn't go to something like this:

E9AWTOpVgAINWN8?format=jpg&name=large

It won't ever get to this level...but I am still very disappointed to see this happen. The integrity of the game is gone imo, will these ads lower hockey ticket prices...nope! Will it line a billionaires pockets more, yup!

2022-2023 the NHL becomes the EHL for me. Sad ass day, I was hoping I would be dead before this would happen...meaning like 

Just now, Canuckster86 said:

It won't ever get to this level...but I am still very disappointed to see this happen. The integrity of the game is gone imo, will these ads lower hockey ticket prices...nope! Will it line a billionaires pockets more, yup!

2022-2023 the NHL becomes the EHL for me. Sad ass day, I was hoping I would be dead before this would happen...meaning like 50 years from now!

21 minutes ago, brownky said:

The issue I have is... "Why?"

Why does it have to be more exposed? Why does it have to be bigger? Other than rich ***holes getting wealthier, what's the net gain to people / society for this treadmill to "more"?

It's a great game / sport. But if it can't stand on its own merits, why does it "need" to be bigger? Look how big Baseball got, chasing those dollars. Now they're in the backslide, because the younger generation doesn't give a **** about it. NFL - The Advertisment League, super bowl aside is having its own bumps.

Maybe chasing the dollar isn't the right move ALL the time.

The game needs to grow. The NHL needs lots of exposure. The new TV deals are a good start however.

As for the MLB I'm pretty sure their main problem is that their primary demographic is dying off. They got a lot of big marketable stars (more than the NHL) however I think they'll rebound eventually.

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, Bure_Pavel said:

Its probably just going to be the Rogers logo on all the Canadian teams jerseys, lame. 

well it said all teams can start looking for sponsors, but that probably doesn't mean that some teams cant have the same one. not sure if it'll be like the divisional helmet ads or not.

1 hour ago, Lil B From The Pack said:

Just an educated guess here. The NBA jerseys sold in stores don't have the ad patches the player jerseys do. I assume the NHL would be the same.

Either way it's funny to see people get outraged over a tiny patch on a jersey that you won't notice during play.

It's not like the Canucks logo is being replaced by a massive "VISIT RWANDA" ad on the players chests.

the buck pierce lions jersey i bought circa 15 years ago had a Rona patch on it. 

not arguing against your point at all, just pointing it out. 

2 hours ago, Devron44 said:

I won’t buy another jersey if that’s how they are sold. I hate the idea but that’s the life we live 

100% agree.

The owners do this knowing that if they ever try to sell a jersey with an ad, no one is going to buy.

I hope they are not that stupid.

• Cheers 1

6 minutes ago, khay said:

100% agree.

The owners do this knowing that if they ever try to sell a jersey with an ad, no one is going to buy.

I hope they are not that stupid.

I’m guessing they won’t have them on the sales jerseys BUT I will probably just not buy them anyway once the ads go on. There’s ads all over the boards and rinks. Players in commercials. 

Here’s another thing. Whoever ad is on the jersey they won’t be getting my money. Same goes with those stupid Quest Trade commercials. I’ve seen them so many times I will never use them 

• Cheers 2
  • Haha 2