The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

NHL owners approve jersey ads for 2022-23 season

Rate this topic

I think the NHL is going to actually lose alot of money from this since more people will not want to buy those jerseys with ads, thus losing alot of customers. If the NHL is losing alot of money from COVID, why did they approve the overpaid signings of players like Jones, Werenski, and Nurse who will be making $9mill+

I love hockey but I can’t watch, I think it’s the Spengler Cup, where they have the crazy ads, i don’t like this idea and starting with one ad is a slippery slope, if it gets to the crazy advertising I think it would kill an love I have for the NHL.

I’ve always stated I’ll never own an Orca jersey, I won’t own one with advertising on it either.

Edited by Dumb Nuck

4 minutes ago, Dumb Nuck said:

I love hockey but I can’t watch, I think it’s the Spengler Cup, where they have the crazy ads, i don’t like this idea and starting with one ad is a slippery slope, if it gets to the crazy advertising I think it would kill an love I have for the NHL.

I’ve always stated I’ll never own an Orca jersey, I won’t own one with advertising on it either.

Are you suggesting this one small add will lead to fans not watching games or buying merchandise?  Aren’t there already Nike swishes on jerseys?  Skates have brand names, no?  Sticks?  Gloves?  

I don’t see any evidence to make your connections of a ‘slippery slope’.  

• Cheers 1

Kind of sad, but not surprising. Sort of ruins the prospect of buying jerseys. Either you buy a jersey with some dumb ad on it or you buy a jersey without an ad, but that doesn't look like what the players actually play. There's no winning.

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 2

I get it that for aesthetical reasons people prefer their jerseys without ads, although you can be pretty sure to purchase them without them.

What I don't buy is the entire "this is not my NHL, integrity of the sport"-crap. As long as the Honda Division plays games in SAP Arena, littered with stupid Gatorade bottles - which no serious professional athlete would ever drink from - you have no arguments.

7 minutes ago, thedestroyerofworlds said:

CFL has sponsor patches for some time.  The NBA opened the door.  If we end up like Euro teams, I'm out.

Cfl i can understand. They have a hard enough time staying afloat so im more forgiving of them trying to stay afloat. The nhl has more than enough money to not have to do this.

• Cheers 3

2 hours ago, Lil B From The Pack said:

Just an educated guess here. The NBA jerseys sold in stores don't have the ad patches the player jerseys do. I assume the NHL would be the same.

Either way it's funny to see people get outraged over a tiny patch on a jersey that you won't notice during play.

It's not like the Canucks logo is being replaced by a massive "VISIT RWANDA" ad on the players chests.

Except, who said it would just stop on one ad? The NHL is greedy. They very well could eventually add more.

• Cheers 1

11 minutes ago, Hamhuis Hip Check said:

Cfl i can understand. They have a hard enough time staying afloat so im more forgiving of them trying to stay afloat. The nhl has more than enough money to not have to do this.

That is why I mentioned the NBA.  If the NHL follows their lead, then I really have no problem with this.  IF they go hog wild and end up with Euro styled sweaters, I'm out.  It's greed, but if it is limited like the NBA or even the CFL, I really have no problems with it.  Hopefully the Canadian teams don't all end up with Rogers (like most of the arenas are) or BMO (like 2 of the 3 MLS teams) are.

• Cheers 1

43 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Are you suggesting this one small add will lead to fans not watching games or buying merchandise?  Aren’t there already Nike swishes on jerseys?  Skates have brand names, no?  Sticks?  Gloves?  

I don’t see any evidence to make your connections of a ‘slippery slope’.  

Firstly, big difference between manufacturers logo and advertising.

Secondly, I find it amazing how you always seem to want to twist my words to suit some kind of narrative you have.

Thirdly, no, an ad won’t make much difference but there is a difference between a no ad policy and now allowing one, that’s the slippery slope, maybe next year it’ll be a bit bigger, maybe the year after it’ll be two, if it does get to the point of some of those European jerseys I don’t think I could watch and I’m sure I’m not alone.

Now let’s be clear Alf, I am not saying that will happen, I am saying it’s possible, had they maintained the no ad policy it would not be.

Finally, I won’t buy an orca jersey because I hate it, similarly I won’t buy an jersey if the ones they sell have ads.

2 hours ago, King Heffy said:

Won't be giving my money either way.  This trash makes an absolute mockery of the sport.  Voting with my wallet here.

if you want to do that, hit them where it hurts and buy a knock-off.