The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

NHL owners approve jersey ads for 2022-23 season

Rate this topic

2 hours ago, Lil B From The Pack said:

The game needs to grow. The NHL needs lots of exposure. The new TV deals are a good start however.

As for the MLB I'm pretty sure their main problem is that their primary demographic is dying off. They got a lot of big marketable stars (more than the NHL) however I think they'll rebound eventually.

But *why* does the game need to grow? That’s the question I’m asking. 

What about ‘more’ makes it better?

My point about their demographic dying off is the point - it doesn't speak to people in the younger demographics in part due to that chase for nothing but money over the past 30 years. 

I feel that this is another step down a very slippery slope.  Where the NHL makes decisions not for the health of the league, but for the chequebooks of the billionaire owners who… don't need the help. And as they chase the dollars, the narrative gets more controlled because money talks. 

That’s what we get when we get ‘grown’. Pass.

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Nucksownyou said:

Except, who said it would just stop on one ad? The NHL is greedy. They very well could eventually add more.

I really doubt that happens.

On another note it almost feels like people want the worst possible thing to happen with ads on jerseys just so they can get outraged over it. If you don't wanna buy the jersey that's cool. I just find some of the reactions weirdly odd. (Not just on here. Social media and The Athletic as well)

• RoughGame 1

3 hours ago, Alflives said:

We can have refs that have whistles that MOO!  

image.thumb.jpeg.eab62f6c792d09874c77a85b0482834f.jpeg

They're doing it wrong Alf, it's all wrong. Why would they dress like cows?

If their calls are going to be bull$&!# they should be dressed like bulls. 

Edited by Coconuts
  • Haha 1

I think this has huge potential for team revenues. They could even have them change each period. This could allow local companies to get spots that they could afford. You pay per period. 

I have no problem with owners making money, just give us a cup. 

7 minutes ago, Lil B From The Pack said:

I really doubt that happens.

On another note it almost feels like people want the worst possible thing to happen with ads on jerseys just so they can get outraged over it. If you don't wanna buy the jersey that's cool. I just find some of the reactions weirdly odd. (Not just on here. Social media and The Athletic as well)

Disgracing the league with these abominations is already bad enough.  I don't want to give the league another dime after this.  I find people not having an issue with desecrating the jerseys to be a massive underreaaction.

2 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

Disgracing the league with these abominations is already bad enough.  I don't want to give the league another dime after this.  I find people not having an issue with desecrating the jerseys to be a massive underreaaction.

My issues with the league are far worse than a patch on a jersey. I respect what you want to do with your money. That's your choice.

I'll leave it at that.

• Cheers 1

Just now, Lil B From The Pack said:

My issues with the league are far worse than a patch on a jersey. I respect what you want to do with your money. That's your choice.

I'll leave it at that.

Oh, absolutely.  The blatant match fixing and corruption in the DOPS is ridiculous.  That doesn't make further tarnishing the game acceptable.

• Cheers 1

7 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

Oh, absolutely.  The blatant match fixing and corruption in the DOPS is ridiculous.  That doesn't make further tarnishing the game acceptable.

I'm thinking more of the Chicago thing and how it's kinda being swept under the rug.

The league can't just make up slogans like "Hockey Is For Everyone" and look the other way when something like this happens. That's not how it works.

Anyways that's a discussion for another day.

• Cheers 1

6 minutes ago, Lil B From The Pack said:

I'm thinking more of the Chicago thing and how it's kinda being swept under the rug.

The league can't just make up slogans like "Hockey Is For Everyone" and look the other way when something like this happens. That's not how it works.

Anyways that's a discussion for another day.

Add in the Kane and Mailloux issues and I wonder if the league's doing this on purpose as a smokescreen.

3 minutes ago, brownky said:

But *why* does the game need to grow? That’s the question I’m asking. 

What about ‘more’ makes it better?

My point about their demographic dying off is the point - it doesn't speak to people in the younger demographics in part due to that chase for nothing but money over the past 30 years. 

I feel that this is another step down a very slippery slope.  Where the NHL makes decisions not for the health of the league, but for the chequebooks of the billionaire owners who… don't need the help. And as they chase the dollars, the narrative gets more controlled because money talks. 

That’s what we get when we get ‘grown’. Pass.

When it came to your post I wasn't talking about ads on jerseys. My bad on that. The prime motive is money and I think we can both agree on that.

Maybe I'll DM you about why I think the game needs to grow. Basically in the gist of things I wanna see the league try and get into untapped markets. (Probably via international broadcast deals. We don't need more teams.)

Personally I wanna see more inclusiveness towards other communities like the LGBTQ or people of color. There's Hockey Night in Punjabi, I believe teams do things for pride month as well and it's a good start. But why not expand on it? 

Maybe this is just me but having more eyes on the product and marketing the game towards various groups of people isn't a bad thing at all. Growth is always good.