The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[SERIOUS] How to achieve time travel (With Diagrams)

Rate this topic

BoKnows

43 minutes ago, BoKnows said:

So I'm sitting at home just finished eating dinner and then I had this moment of genius. I think I figured out time travel and it is quite easy to do! The only issue with this is that we can only go forwards and not backwards, and only a few people can do it every 10 years. Now I know that I have all of you at the edge of your seats with this so I'll get on with it. The solution is that we build a giant slingshot, like the biggest slingshot you've ever seen. This slingshot will launch you so quickly and so far into space that it will cause time dilation! If we launch you quick enough this ride will take 1 minute your time, but 10 years Earth time. Please look at the graphics I have created for you.

1370625446_ScreenShot2021-08-17at6_37_36PM.png.c2a78517e75ee7bd27fddf5b79b1aa21.png

1257763237_ScreenShot2021-08-17at6_38_05PM.png.35477311cdadc711f5c849a22e1c02fe.png

We just need to make a special suit and capsules so that we don't die during the flight. Please note that these renderings aren't to scale.

Don't forget to bring us back a Stanley cup team from the Future!

:)

• Haha 1
1 hour ago, 6of1_halfdozenofother said:

Pretty sure the only thing around me dilating will be my pupils.  Every other opening will likely be squeezed tightly shut, including my mouth (I'm not a screamer on rollercoaster, I clam up and grind my teeth).

So yeah.  Count me out, I'll take my time organically, thankyouverymuch.

Ahh man I was hoping that you'd be on my maiden voyage

• Haha 1
1 minute ago, bishopshodan said:

An atomic clock can prove this here on earth.

from Google...

For example, a clock on top of a tall mountain will move a tiny bit faster than a clock at the base of that mountain, where the gravity is stronger

Based my idea off of this, I just don't know what the correct scientific terminology is.

3 minutes ago, BoKnows said:

Based my idea off of this, I just don't know what the correct scientific terminology is.

Makes me think of the 'twin paradox'

...Twin paradox, an apparent anomaly that arises from the treatment of time in German-born physicist Albert Einstein's theory of special relativity. ... According to relativity, time runs more slowly on her spacecraft than it does on Earth; therefore, when she returns to Earth, she will be younger than her Earth-bound sister.

• Like 1