The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[SERIOUS] How to achieve time travel (With Diagrams)

Rate this topic

BoKnows

6 minutes ago, bishopshodan said:

Makes me think of the 'twin paradox'

...Twin paradox, an apparent anomaly that arises from the treatment of time in German-born physicist Albert Einstein's theory of special relativity. ... According to relativity, time runs more slowly on her spacecraft than it does on Earth; therefore, when she returns to Earth, she will be younger than her Earth-bound sister.

In theory my idea just might work.

• Huggy Bear 1
15 minutes ago, smithers joe said:

yah, but can he dance?

I like to think I can but I have two left feet

7 minutes ago, smithers joe said:

we will achieve time travel when we die, but where we are going, has no time.

That’s very philosophical 

1 hour ago, RUPERTKBD said:

I think I can help Bo....for the slingshot, I propose they use the same type of plastic they use for utensils at KFC....

....absolutely unbreakable....-_-

I was actually talking to an astrophysicist about this today and he was saying that we'd be limited by the speed of sound in rubber. As the the rubber contracts when we pull the slingshot back we get a wave, but this wave only goes as fast as the sound travels through rubber. That is nowhere near the speed to reach orbital velocity let alone dilate time. He suggested that using magnets to shoot you up might work. The magnets can accelerate you like a monorail, he compared it to a railgun.

• Cheers 1
9 minutes ago, BoKnows said:

he compared it to a railgun.

It would be so extremely large, it would need to be built in space, and while you can accelerate safely to the speed of light; in tiny speed increments; the issue is how do you stop or slow down?

The time period you were trying to go back to could be massively overshot, as you wait, and wait, and wait, to de accelerate.

33 minutes ago, gurn said:

It would be so extremely large, it would need to be built in space, and while you can accelerate safely to the speed of light; in tiny speed increments; the issue is how do you stop or slow down?

The time period you were trying to go back to could be massively overshot, as you wait, and wait, and wait, to de accelerate.

It's obviously impossible it's just a theory

10 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

maybe you've already done this, and now we're just waiting. 

• Upvote 2