The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[SERIOUS] How to achieve time travel (With Diagrams)

Rate this topic

BoKnows

On 8/17/2021 at 3:43 PM, BoKnows said:

So I'm sitting at home just finished eating dinner and then I had this moment of genius. I think I figured out time travel and it is quite easy to do! The only issue with this is that we can only go forwards and not backwards, and only a few people can do it every 10 years. Now I know that I have all of you at the edge of your seats with this so I'll get on with it. The solution is that we build a giant slingshot, like the biggest slingshot you've ever seen. This slingshot will launch you so quickly and so far into space that it will cause time dilation! If we launch you quick enough this ride will take 1 minute your time, but 10 years Earth time. Please look at the graphics I have created for you.

1370625446_ScreenShot2021-08-17at6_37_36PM.png.c2a78517e75ee7bd27fddf5b79b1aa21.png

1257763237_ScreenShot2021-08-17at6_38_05PM.png.35477311cdadc711f5c849a22e1c02fe.png

We just need to make a special suit and capsules so that we don't die during the flight. Please note that these renderings aren't to scale.

An interesting book out of Sci-fi by Joe Haldeman, called the Forever War, dealt with relativity and human relationships. The ending was perhaps obvious, but none the less satisfying.

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/21611.The_Forever_War?from_search=true&from_srp=true&qid=JH443J8FrZ&rank=1

regards,  G.

• Like 2
5 hours ago, Gollumpus said:

I was, and so were you. I guess I must have seen a future you.

Perhaps (current) you are confused over which "last Thursday" was being mentioned? One has to keep in mind that when one is going to "last Thursday", you don't go back to the immediate previous Thursday, you have to go back to the Thursday prior to that last Thursday because that is when the sign was put up, see?

...unless we are talking about going forward in time, and then you have to gauge when the actual "last Thursday" in this time-line occurs, which would be at some point before time, the Universe and Everything goes poof! (And, of course, we normally, refrain from getting involved with alternate universes just to keep things neat and tidy.) As there was no "the last Thursday" on the sign, we safely disregarded that destination (as I'm sure you did, but I included this comment for the benefit of others).

As to what happened at the meeting, it was pretty much the usual sort of meeting of any society. Call to order, the Minutes of the last meeting were read, and then the meeting bogged down (as it usually does) when we discussed the old business (of which there is a lot). There were those who were trying to discuss old business which was still in the future for other members, so they had no idea what was going on. You (future you) will put forward a motion to meet for drinks at a time and place where the exchange rate ensured that everyone could get drunk within their respective economic situation (passed by majority - the only dissent was by a second you, from even further ahead in time)..

regards,  G.

I have a hang over! Which means I was there, but it was in the past, so why do I have a hang over? I am so confused!  :picard:

Edited by janisahockeynut
16 hours ago, janisahockeynut said:

I have a hang over! Which means I was there, but it was in the past, so why do I have a hang over? I am so confused!  :picard:

Perhaps those are two different hangovers? It's also possible that the hangover which you are currently experiencing is because the you of right now will be the second you who attended the meeting (where voted against the motion).

regards,  G.

5 hours ago, Gollumpus said:

Perhaps those are two different hangovers? It's also possible that the hangover which you are currently experiencing is because the you of right now will be the second you who attended the meeting (where voted against the motion).

regards,  G.

:picard:

Edited by janisahockeynut
On 8/22/2021 at 10:10 PM, janisahockeynut said:

:picard:

I figured out why you have a hangover. Did you see yourself at the meeting, which would cause your identity in Time to be "lost". No one would know who you are. So, do you remember seeing yourself?

regards,  G.

59 minutes ago, Gollumpus said:

I figured out why you have a hangover. Did you see yourself at the meeting, which would cause your identity in Time to be "lost". No one would know who you are. So, do you remember seeing yourself?

regards,  G.

Well, I did see a good looking guy in the corner. Come to think about it, he did look familiar! :bigblush:

15 minutes ago, RWMc1 said:

One of these days I'm going to chop you into little pieces.That makes me wonder if there's an axe reference in every Floyd album? Hmmm.

"Careful with that  axe Eugene"                                           Ummagumma

"In the suitcase on the left you'll find my favourite axe"       The Wall

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1
51 minutes ago, gurn said:

"Careful with that  axe Eugene"                                           Ummagumma

"In the suitcase on the left you'll find my favourite axe"       The Wall

You beat my to the punch brother .

I can recite the lyrics from the wall in my sleep I have listened to it that much.

And when they've given you their all 

Some stagger and fall 

After all it's not easy bangin your heart against some mad buggers wall..

• Upvote 1