The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Chiune Sugihara

NewbieCanuckFan

Everyone is probably aware just how brutal the Japanese Imperial Army & their other armed forces were during WWII.  Even worse, was the virtual ignoring/revisionism taught in Japanese schools regarding some of the truly descipable crimes their forces committed.  At least in Germany, there was & still is real 'war guilt' (to be fair, there will be always a certain segment of any country's population that will remain to be nationalistic to an extreme degree).  However, there is always the danger of assuming *ALL* people of a particular nation are the same.

Chiune Sugihara was a Japanese diplomat that save the lives of thousands of Jews in WWII (he enabled them to get visas to escape).  I never heard of this guy before (and I have taken numerous history courses in College/University).  Only came across his name by accident.

Wiki of course isn't a great source, but the following will give a person an idea of his great deeds:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chiune_Sugihara

“Let not any one pacify his conscience by the delusion that he can do no harm if he takes no part, and forms no opinion. Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing. He is not a good man who, without a protest, allows wrong to be committed in his name, and with the means which he helps to supply, because he will not trouble himself to use his mind on the subject.”

John Stuart Mill

Edited by NewbieCanuckFan
  • Thanks 3
  • Huggy Bear 1

14 minutes ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

Everyone is probably aware just how brutal the Japanese Imperial Army & their other armed forces were during WWII.  Even worse, was the virtual ignoring/revisionism taught in Japanese schools regarding some of the truly descipable crimes their forces committed.  At least in Germany, there was & still is real 'war guilt' (to be fair, there will be always a certain segment of any country's population that will remain to be nationalistic to an extreme degree).  However, there is always the danger of assuming *ALL* people of a particular nation are the same.

Chiune Sugihara was a Japanese diplomat that save the lives of thousands of Jews in WWII (he enabled them to get visas to escape).  I never heard of this guy before (and I have taken numerous history courses in College/University).  Only came across his name by accident.

Wiki of course isn't a great source, but the following will give a person an idea of his great deeds:

“Let not any one pacify his conscience by the delusion that he can do no harm if he takes no part, and forms no opinion. Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing. He is not a good man who, without a protest, allows wrong to be committed in his name, and with the means which he helps to supply, because he will not trouble himself to use his mind on the subject.”

John Stuart Mill

Thanks for this.  After a little digging on IMDB there is what looks to be an excellent movie about his story.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Huggy Bear 1

There’s a pretty good children’s book about Chiune Sugihara that I read with both of my twins when they were about seven or eight years old.

Passage to Freedom: The Sugihara Story.

You can read it in free PDF here:

https://www.ecasd.us/getattachment/Northstar-Middle-School/Staff/DeAnna-Slaggie/English-(1)/Passage-to-Freedom-Story.pdf

It includes an afterword from Hiroki Sugihara, Chiune’s eldest son, and the story is told from his perspective.

Edited by SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME
  • Thanks 4

6 hours ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

John Stuart Mill

I consider myself a well informed student of history and yet I have never heard of Chiune.

We get to hear about western heroes like Schindler however Asian heroes like Chiune aren't talked about in our socities.

Thanks for posting.

The Mill quote is one of my faves.

Edited by Ilunga
  • Cheers 2

12 hours ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

John Stuart Mill

Super interesting post! However I must talk about the quote at the bottom. As a child playing Call of Duty 4 campaign, (12), every-time one died a quote would appear on the screen. One of the quotes that has still stuck with me until today has been a rendition of that John Stuart Mill quote. And idk it hits quite different seeing it again in its original context, and honestly shaped my thinking subconsciously as a child.

Anyways thanks for reminding me and showing me the original quote!

• Like 2
  • Cheers 1