The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Coyotes lose vote for new arena - future unclear

Rate this topic

mll

58 minutes ago, Alflives said:

The Coyotes don’t even get enough views watching their games to fill their rink.  They average 14,000 viewers/game.  The market might be big, but very few people care even a smidge for hockey.  Put that team in Quebec City and the rink will be full every game, and 500,000 plus will be watching on TV in that market.  

I don’t disagree at all, but the way Bettman sees it is Quebecers already watch their team regardless of if there’s a 2nd team or not. He also thinks the potential for growth is far greater in Arizona then Quebec (which he’s not exactly wrong on). There’s been numerous teams in the NHL that went from low support in their states/provinces to high support once that team starts having success. Bettman thinks he can do the same in Arizona. I mean, who ever thought Tennessee would be a great place for a hockey franchise? But the Nashville Predators have thrived after a relocation scare.

They’re not alone either. Oilers, Leafs, Penguins, Blues, Devils, Islanders and the Coyotes have had previous seriously close or done deal relocations before. None have moved. All have found success in the years since.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/1389473-nhl-relocation-close-calls-seven-scares-that-never-happened

Would I like Quebec to have a 2nd team and for the Coyotes to move there? 1 billion percent yes. Do I think it’ll happen? 1 billion percent no.

Edited by StanleyCupOneDay
  • Upvote 1

Just now, StanleyCupOneDay said:

I don’t disagree at all, but the way Bettman sees it is Quebecers already watch their team regardless of if there’s a 2nd team or not. He also thinks the potential for growth is far greater in Arizona then Quebec (which he’s not exactly wrong on). There’s been numerous teams in the NHL that went from low support in their states/provinces to high support once that team starts having success. Bettman thinks he can do the same in Arizona. I mean, who ever thought Tennessee would be a great place for a hockey franchise? But the Nashville Predators have thrived after a relocation scare.

They’re not alone either. Oilers, Leafs, Blues, Devils, Islanders and the Coyotes have had previous seriously close or done deal relocations before. None have moved. All have found success in the years since.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/1389473-nhl-relocation-close-calls-seven-scares-that-never-happened

Would I like Quebec to have a 2nd team and for the Coyotes to move there? 1 billion percent yes. Do I think it’ll happen? 1 billion percent no.

I think QC is the fallback plan.  The club will go there last minute, like the failed Thrashers went to Winterpig.  

22 minutes ago, Alflives said:

I think QC is the fallback plan.  The club will go there last minute, like the failed Thrashers went to Winterpig.  

Even if the Arizona Coyotes do have to relocate elsewhere Bettman is drooling at the thought of an interstate NHL battle in the 2nd largest state in America, so it’d likely move to either Austin or Houston. His sole focus as commissioner has been growing the game in the US because TV game viewership in Canada is already high and nearly maxed out. He’s going to do everything in his power to keep them in Arizona and if not there then in the US.

I very much want the Nordiques or some other team to be in Quebec so they have 2 teams. I never say never and hope it will happen regardless, but Bettman is unlikely to acquiesce to our desires.

• Like 1

On 1/9/2022 at 10:30 AM, VegasCanuck said:

If you read my post, it's because post ownership placed them in an area that couldn't sustain them with adequate fan base. New ownership has been trying to move them to a better area within the State, for years.

Get them to where the population can access them easily, and I believe, like Vegas, they will be fine!

I did read your post and know the history well. I just disagree with your great points. :)

• Cheers 2

… and now Tempe looks like it doesn’t have any interest in blowing hundreds of millions of taxpayer dollars to fix the league’s mistakes.

All because of an insignificant series of human errors like missing 17 city tax payments in a row (again), not remembering that they are supposed to play players on time, forgetting that they are supposed to be paying rent on their arena.

Go figure.  Dumb Glendale and their crazy agendas!

https://www.dailyfaceoff.com/tempe-skeptical-of-coyotes-arena-plan-due-to-the-teams-financial-issues/

Edited by Provost
  • Haha 1
  • Upvote 2

24 minutes ago, Smashian Kassian said:

Houston seems like a desirable spot but is it even ready for a team?

Wasn't the Rockets owner not particularly interested in the NHL coming into that building?

They’ll find a way for it to work, 5th biggest US TV market is too tempting for Bettman to pass up. 

On 1/12/2022 at 12:23 AM, Smashian Kassian said:

Houston seems like a desirable spot but is it even ready for a team?

Wasn't the Rockets owner not particularly interested in the NHL coming into that building?

https://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/rockets-owner-hasnt-given-dream-houston-nhl-team/

Houston Rockets owner Tilman Fertitta says he hasn’t given up on his dream to bring an NHL team to Houston.

“There’s not a month that goes by that we don’t have some type of talks about the NHL,” he said in a radio interview with Houston Matters on Monday. “And it’s definitely something that one day I look forward to bringing to Houston, Texas.”

Fertitta has been very public about his interest in owning an NHL team since 2017, when he bought the Rockets from Leslie Alexander for $2.2 billion. While that interest hasn’t gone away, Fertitta acknowledged Monday that there are challenges with bringing a team to a southern city in the U.S.

“The studies we have done, it’s a little harder below the Mason-Dixon Line. It’s a little harder to put butts in the seats,” Fertitta said. “And we’ve got to find the right team, and then we have got to just make sure that we can put the butts in the seats.”

Get the best of our NHL coverage and exclusives delivered directly to your inbox!

*I understand that I may withdraw my consent at any time.
crosby_sidney_mcdavid_connor.jpg

In May, commissioner Gary Bettman said that there were no immediate plans to bring a team to Houston. But he added that if a team ever were to come to the city, Fertitta would be involved, since the NHL club would likely have to share the Toyota Center with the Rockets.

“I don’t think there’s anything active right now with the Rockets’ ownership in terms of bringing an NHL team to Houston,” Bettman told the Houston Chronicle. “Houston’s now the fourth-largest city in the United States. If there were ever to be a team there, unless there’s a new arena, Mr. Fertitta would control the entry point. But as of right now, there’s nothing for anybody to focus on.”

The NHL awarded a 32nd expansion franchise to Seattle last December after 32,000 season ticket deposits were placed in the less than 24 hours. The Seattle ownership group — which includes billionaire David Bonderman and movie producer Jerry Bruckheimer — agreed to pay a $650-million expansion fee to the NHL.

When asked Monday if a team in Houston would be a new expansion team or relocated from another city, Fertitta said he didn’t know but he would be open to either option.

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

• 2 weeks later...
3 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Isn’t the college rink 5,000 seats?  

Something like that, they were just talking about it on 650.

Not sure if it was in relation to this rink, but basically you buy a ticket and can stand wherever you want.  :towel:

• Haha 1

The Craig Morgan article:

Coyotes in advanced discussions with ASU to use new multi-purpose venue as interim arena solution

The Coyotes are in the advanced stages of discussions with Arizona State University and arena manager OVG Facilities (a division of the Oak View Group) to use ASU’s new multipurpose arena as their temporary home, sources familiar with the situation confirmed to PHNX Sports. The arena, which is scheduled for completion this fall, would serve as the Coyotes’ arena for all home games while they await approval and construction of their proposed arena along the south bank of Rio Salado in Tempe.

Per sources, the Coyotes are negotiating on a three-year deal with an option for a fourth year if construction of the permanent arena takes longer than hoped. ASU’s new arena will only seat 5,000 spectators so the venue is significantly smaller than other NHL arenas, or even Arizona Veterans Memorial Coliseum, which currently seats about 10,000 because some of its risers have been decommissioned and removed.

When asked about using an unconventional venue such as ASU’s, NHL commissioner Bill Daly said the league is not opposed to such a move.

“While we have arena standards, we would approach the entire situation in a way intended to accommodate the club’s needs in effectuating a successful transition to a new venue,” Daly wrote in an email. “While there may very well be some, I can’t think of any hard and fast rules that couldn’t be relaxed to accommodate what is necessary.”

When asked specifically if the league would approve the Coyotes playing in an arena with a seating capacity as low as 5,000, Daly said it “depends on the totality of circumstances, but I wouldn’t rule it out.”

Due to NCAA compliance issues, the Coyotes would not be permitted to use Sun Devil hockey’s team areas. They would have to build their own, without contribution from ASU, which does not need the extra areas or it would have already built them. One source estimated that cost between $15 and $20 million, with all of that money coming out of owner Alex Meruelo’s pocket.

Because of the necessary construction, the deal would have to be approved by the Arizona Board of Regents.

It’s still unclear how the NHLPA would feel about the decision, but the league and the NHLPA have begun discussions regarding the Coyotes’ plans for next season. There are issues with team-space requirements, revenue sharing and more that the PA will need to understand.

“The Coyotes’ anticipated move in 2022-23 from Gila River Arena in Glendale to a temporary Arizona venue raises a number of matters that the league and the NHLPA will need to work through,” a spokesperson for the NHLPA said. “Ideally, these matters will be sorted out well in advance of next season.”

Given the estimated cost of building team areas at ASU, the likely cost of necessary improvements at an existing practice facility, (the Coyotes are still exploring those options with the Ice Den Scottsdale a strong possibility), and the losses that Meruelo will incur by playing in front of smaller crowds at an arena that will not provide him with a lot of corporate sponsorship money or ancillary revenue, it’s fair to wonder why the Coyotes wouldn’t just spend the estimated $40 million to $50 million on renovations at the Coliseum where they could play and practice. 

For one, playing in Tempe would allow the organization to establish a partnership and relationship with the city immediately; one that the Coyotes hope will flourish in a central location much closer to the vast majority of their premium season ticket holders. There are also revenue issues at the Coliseum that would create financial losses for Meruelo. It does not have any luxury suites. ASU’s arena includes 20 luxury suites, two group suites, a large club lounge and event-level premium club seats. Because the Coliseum is a state entity, it would also require state approval. It’s unclear how long that process would take.

In addition, the time needed to make the improvements to the Coliseum would not allow the Coyotes to play there at the start of next season. The Coyotes could have begun those improvements sooner, but sources said that they were under the assumption that they would be able to continue their year-to-year lease with the City of Glendale. When it became clear that this would be their last season at Gila River Arena, it was too late to renovate the Coliseum as an option for next season. 

Scheduling will be another issue for the Coyotes. Sun Devil hockey’s schedule is already in place for the 2022-23 season and ASU hockey will maintain priority for all future dates, a source said. ASU has 24 home dates next season and all of them are on Friday or Saturday with 7 p.m. starts. The Coyotes would need to work around that schedule with some less than optimal dates.

The multi-purpose facility is also slated to host ASU’s wrestling and gymnastics teams, concerts, conferences, youth competitions and other events.

The City of Glendale, through arena manager ASM Global, has told the Coyotes that they must vacate Gila River Arena by June 30; the end of the fiscal year.

NHL commissioner Gary Bettman has remained steadfast in his assertion that the Coyotes will remain in Arizona. So has the Meruelo ownership group.

“Alex is committed, Alex has the resources, and the Coyotes aren’t going anywhere,” Bettman said from the NHL Board of Governors meetings in December. “Well, they’re going somewhere else other than Glendale, but it’s in the greater Phoenix area.”

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

25 minutes ago, mll said:

The Craig Morgan article:

Coyotes in advanced discussions with ASU to use new multi-purpose venue as interim arena solution

The Coyotes are in the advanced stages of discussions with Arizona State University and arena manager OVG Facilities (a division of the Oak View Group) to use ASU’s new multipurpose arena as their temporary home, sources familiar with the situation confirmed to PHNX Sports. The arena, which is scheduled for completion this fall, would serve as the Coyotes’ arena for all home games while they await approval and construction of their proposed arena along the south bank of Rio Salado in Tempe.

Per sources, the Coyotes are negotiating on a three-year deal with an option for a fourth year if construction of the permanent arena takes longer than hoped. ASU’s new arena will only seat 5,000 spectators so the venue is significantly smaller than other NHL arenas, or even Arizona Veterans Memorial Coliseum, which currently seats about 10,000 because some of its risers have been decommissioned and removed.

When asked about using an unconventional venue such as ASU’s, NHL commissioner Bill Daly said the league is not opposed to such a move.

“While we have arena standards, we would approach the entire situation in a way intended to accommodate the club’s needs in effectuating a successful transition to a new venue,” Daly wrote in an email. “While there may very well be some, I can’t think of any hard and fast rules that couldn’t be relaxed to accommodate what is necessary.”

When asked specifically if the league would approve the Coyotes playing in an arena with a seating capacity as low as 5,000, Daly said it “depends on the totality of circumstances, but I wouldn’t rule it out.”

Due to NCAA compliance issues, the Coyotes would not be permitted to use Sun Devil hockey’s team areas. They would have to build their own, without contribution from ASU, which does not need the extra areas or it would have already built them. One source estimated that cost between $15 and $20 million, with all of that money coming out of owner Alex Meruelo’s pocket.

Because of the necessary construction, the deal would have to be approved by the Arizona Board of Regents.

It’s still unclear how the NHLPA would feel about the decision, but the league and the NHLPA have begun discussions regarding the Coyotes’ plans for next season. There are issues with team-space requirements, revenue sharing and more that the PA will need to understand.

“The Coyotes’ anticipated move in 2022-23 from Gila River Arena in Glendale to a temporary Arizona venue raises a number of matters that the league and the NHLPA will need to work through,” a spokesperson for the NHLPA said. “Ideally, these matters will be sorted out well in advance of next season.”

Given the estimated cost of building team areas at ASU, the likely cost of necessary improvements at an existing practice facility, (the Coyotes are still exploring those options with the Ice Den Scottsdale a strong possibility), and the losses that Meruelo will incur by playing in front of smaller crowds at an arena that will not provide him with a lot of corporate sponsorship money or ancillary revenue, it’s fair to wonder why the Coyotes wouldn’t just spend the estimated $40 million to $50 million on renovations at the Coliseum where they could play and practice. 

For one, playing in Tempe would allow the organization to establish a partnership and relationship with the city immediately; one that the Coyotes hope will flourish in a central location much closer to the vast majority of their premium season ticket holders. There are also revenue issues at the Coliseum that would create financial losses for Meruelo. It does not have any luxury suites. ASU’s arena includes 20 luxury suites, two group suites, a large club lounge and event-level premium club seats. Because the Coliseum is a state entity, it would also require state approval. It’s unclear how long that process would take.

In addition, the time needed to make the improvements to the Coliseum would not allow the Coyotes to play there at the start of next season. The Coyotes could have begun those improvements sooner, but sources said that they were under the assumption that they would be able to continue their year-to-year lease with the City of Glendale. When it became clear that this would be their last season at Gila River Arena, it was too late to renovate the Coliseum as an option for next season. 

Scheduling will be another issue for the Coyotes. Sun Devil hockey’s schedule is already in place for the 2022-23 season and ASU hockey will maintain priority for all future dates, a source said. ASU has 24 home dates next season and all of them are on Friday or Saturday with 7 p.m. starts. The Coyotes would need to work around that schedule with some less than optimal dates.

The multi-purpose facility is also slated to host ASU’s wrestling and gymnastics teams, concerts, conferences, youth competitions and other events.

The City of Glendale, through arena manager ASM Global, has told the Coyotes that they must vacate Gila River Arena by June 30; the end of the fiscal year.

NHL commissioner Gary Bettman has remained steadfast in his assertion that the Coyotes will remain in Arizona. So has the Meruelo ownership group.

“Alex is committed, Alex has the resources, and the Coyotes aren’t going anywhere,” Bettman said from the NHL Board of Governors meetings in December. “Well, they’re going somewhere else other than Glendale, but it’s in the greater Phoenix area.”

….as Canadian team revenues prop up this little freak show of a franchise more and more.,.I wonder where the owners draw a line? 5000 seat capacity won’t generate much revenue….worse what if they can’t even fill a 5000 seat arena with fans…that would look so bad….actually I’ve change my mind I wanna see this play out lol…then move this team to Canada again where it belongs.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2