The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

City of Glendale will not renew arrangements with Coyotes to play at Gila River Arena past this season

Rate this topic

mll

On 12/10/2021 at 11:31 AM, VegasCanuck said:

This team has not really been given a fair shot in Phoenix. I don't know if you have ever been to the facility (I have a few times), but it's built in possibly the worst possible location of where you could have a hockey team and grow a fan base.

If you look at how Vegas has done, you should be able to achieve solid results, if you have the team somewhere that you have access to the population base. When they moved to where they are right now, it was under the great business concept of, "If you build it, they will come"

They didn't have the population base within easy access to the team, they assumed that they would be able to create an economic and housing boom out in Glendale by bringing the team out there. Then the economy tanked.

If the team had stayed closer to downtown Phoenix, they would likely have been self sustaining within about 6 to 8 years of moving there from Winnipeg.

What? This team hasn't been given a fair chance in Phoenix?

I respectfully beg to differ strongly. how many years have they been in Arizona to get it figured out? 

This has been an on going problem since day one. Poor owners, the wrong management to start with. They've had to go to the city for tax breaks.

Even with new ownership this is a present disaster. how in the hell does an organization miss that kind of a payment, oops. Sorry at that level and that level for years a pattern of

poor business practices can hardly be blamed on the city of Phoenix for not giving this franchise a fare shot. Far from it. Ownership and the league have facilitated failure at every level. You've stated the obvious about a decade too late. You make strong points but i don't think Phoenix can be to blame. 

League owners need to reign Bettmen in and tell him enough is enough.

The league keeps propping this crap show up.

One more thing, The Coyotes had a full NHL team, experienced and cohesive when they moved from Winnipeg to Phoenix unlike Vegas that had a expansion draft like no other. You're comparing apples and oranges. 

Edited by aqua59
additional comment
  • Cheers 2

8 minutes ago, aqua59 said:

What? This team hasn't been given a fair chance in Phoenix?

I respectfully beg to differ strongly. how many years have they been in Arizona to get it figured out? 

This has been an on going problem since day one. Poor owners, the wrong management to start with. They've had to go to the city for tax breaks.

Even with new ownership this is a present disaster. how in the hell does an organization miss that kind of a payment, oops. Sorry at that level and that level for years a pattern of

poor business practices can hardly be blamed on the city of Phoenix for not giving this franchise a fare shot. Far from it. Ownership and the league have facilitated failure at every level. You've stated the obvious about a decade too late. You make strong points but i don't think Phoenix can be to blame. 

League owners need to reign Bettmen in and tell him enough is enough.

The league keeps propping this crap show up.

One more thing, The Coyotes had a full NHL team, experienced and cohesive when they moved from Winnipeg to Phoenix unlike Vegas that had a expansion draft like no other. You're comparing apples and oranges. 

If you read my post, it's because post ownership placed them in an area that couldn't sustain them with adequate fan base. New ownership has been trying to move them to a better area within the State, for years.

Get them to where the population can access them easily, and I believe, like Vegas, they will be fine!

5 minutes ago, BlueDragon23 said:

Move them already!:picard:

Come Gary, the Coyotes failed in Arizona just accept it and move them to a better suited town! 

The Coyotes will be in Quebec City starting the 22/23 season.  

7 minutes ago, BlueDragon23 said:

Move them already!:picard:

Come Gary, the Coyotes failed in Arizona just accept it and move them to a better suited town! 

Never gonna happen. There’s a big reason the NHL tried and failed on 3 separate occasions to make a Georgia team work (I expect them to try again at some point too). Arizona is the 10th largest broadcast market in the US. They aren’t going to let any team leave from a populous state unless they are absolutely forced to regardless of the cost or attendance numbers.

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, StanleyCupOneDay said:

Never gonna happen. There’s a big reason the NHL tried and failed on 3 separate occasions to make a Georgia team work (I expect them to try again at some point too). Arizona is the 10th largest broadcast market in the US. They aren’t going to let any team leave from a populous state unless they are absolutely forced to regardless of the cost or attendance numbers.

The Coyotes don’t even get enough views watching their games to fill their rink.  They average 14,000 viewers/game.  The market might be big, but very few people care even a smidge for hockey.  Put that team in Quebec City and the rink will be full every game, and 500,000 plus will be watching on TV in that market.  

58 minutes ago, Alflives said:

The Coyotes don’t even get enough views watching their games to fill their rink.  They average 14,000 viewers/game.  The market might be big, but very few people care even a smidge for hockey.  Put that team in Quebec City and the rink will be full every game, and 500,000 plus will be watching on TV in that market.  

I don’t disagree at all, but the way Bettman sees it is Quebecers already watch their team regardless of if there’s a 2nd team or not. He also thinks the potential for growth is far greater in Arizona then Quebec (which he’s not exactly wrong on). There’s been numerous teams in the NHL that went from low support in their states/provinces to high support once that team starts having success. Bettman thinks he can do the same in Arizona. I mean, who ever thought Tennessee would be a great place for a hockey franchise? But the Nashville Predators have thrived after a relocation scare.

They’re not alone either. Oilers, Leafs, Penguins, Blues, Devils, Islanders and the Coyotes have had previous seriously close or done deal relocations before. None have moved. All have found success in the years since.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/1389473-nhl-relocation-close-calls-seven-scares-that-never-happened

Would I like Quebec to have a 2nd team and for the Coyotes to move there? 1 billion percent yes. Do I think it’ll happen? 1 billion percent no.

Edited by StanleyCupOneDay
  • Upvote 1

Just now, StanleyCupOneDay said:

I don’t disagree at all, but the way Bettman sees it is Quebecers already watch their team regardless of if there’s a 2nd team or not. He also thinks the potential for growth is far greater in Arizona then Quebec (which he’s not exactly wrong on). There’s been numerous teams in the NHL that went from low support in their states/provinces to high support once that team starts having success. Bettman thinks he can do the same in Arizona. I mean, who ever thought Tennessee would be a great place for a hockey franchise? But the Nashville Predators have thrived after a relocation scare.

They’re not alone either. Oilers, Leafs, Blues, Devils, Islanders and the Coyotes have had previous seriously close or done deal relocations before. None have moved. All have found success in the years since.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/1389473-nhl-relocation-close-calls-seven-scares-that-never-happened

Would I like Quebec to have a 2nd team and for the Coyotes to move there? 1 billion percent yes. Do I think it’ll happen? 1 billion percent no.

I think QC is the fallback plan.  The club will go there last minute, like the failed Thrashers went to Winterpig.  

22 minutes ago, Alflives said:

I think QC is the fallback plan.  The club will go there last minute, like the failed Thrashers went to Winterpig.  

Even if the Arizona Coyotes do have to relocate elsewhere Bettman is drooling at the thought of an interstate NHL battle in the 2nd largest state in America, so it’d likely move to either Austin or Houston. His sole focus as commissioner has been growing the game in the US because TV game viewership in Canada is already high and nearly maxed out. He’s going to do everything in his power to keep them in Arizona and if not there then in the US.

I very much want the Nordiques or some other team to be in Quebec so they have 2 teams. I never say never and hope it will happen regardless, but Bettman is unlikely to acquiesce to our desires.

• Like 1

On 1/9/2022 at 10:30 AM, VegasCanuck said:

If you read my post, it's because post ownership placed them in an area that couldn't sustain them with adequate fan base. New ownership has been trying to move them to a better area within the State, for years.

Get them to where the population can access them easily, and I believe, like Vegas, they will be fine!

I did read your post and know the history well. I just disagree with your great points. :)

• Cheers 2

… and now Tempe looks like it doesn’t have any interest in blowing hundreds of millions of taxpayer dollars to fix the league’s mistakes.

All because of an insignificant series of human errors like missing 17 city tax payments in a row (again), not remembering that they are supposed to play players on time, forgetting that they are supposed to be paying rent on their arena.

Go figure.  Dumb Glendale and their crazy agendas!

https://www.dailyfaceoff.com/tempe-skeptical-of-coyotes-arena-plan-due-to-the-teams-financial-issues/

Edited by Provost
  • Haha 1
  • Upvote 2

24 minutes ago, Smashian Kassian said:

Houston seems like a desirable spot but is it even ready for a team?

Wasn't the Rockets owner not particularly interested in the NHL coming into that building?

They’ll find a way for it to work, 5th biggest US TV market is too tempting for Bettman to pass up. 

On 1/12/2022 at 12:23 AM, Smashian Kassian said:

Houston seems like a desirable spot but is it even ready for a team?

Wasn't the Rockets owner not particularly interested in the NHL coming into that building?

https://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/rockets-owner-hasnt-given-dream-houston-nhl-team/

Houston Rockets owner Tilman Fertitta says he hasn’t given up on his dream to bring an NHL team to Houston.

“There’s not a month that goes by that we don’t have some type of talks about the NHL,” he said in a radio interview with Houston Matters on Monday. “And it’s definitely something that one day I look forward to bringing to Houston, Texas.”

Fertitta has been very public about his interest in owning an NHL team since 2017, when he bought the Rockets from Leslie Alexander for $2.2 billion. While that interest hasn’t gone away, Fertitta acknowledged Monday that there are challenges with bringing a team to a southern city in the U.S.

“The studies we have done, it’s a little harder below the Mason-Dixon Line. It’s a little harder to put butts in the seats,” Fertitta said. “And we’ve got to find the right team, and then we have got to just make sure that we can put the butts in the seats.”

Get the best of our NHL coverage and exclusives delivered directly to your inbox!

*I understand that I may withdraw my consent at any time.
crosby_sidney_mcdavid_connor.jpg

In May, commissioner Gary Bettman said that there were no immediate plans to bring a team to Houston. But he added that if a team ever were to come to the city, Fertitta would be involved, since the NHL club would likely have to share the Toyota Center with the Rockets.

“I don’t think there’s anything active right now with the Rockets’ ownership in terms of bringing an NHL team to Houston,” Bettman told the Houston Chronicle. “Houston’s now the fourth-largest city in the United States. If there were ever to be a team there, unless there’s a new arena, Mr. Fertitta would control the entry point. But as of right now, there’s nothing for anybody to focus on.”

The NHL awarded a 32nd expansion franchise to Seattle last December after 32,000 season ticket deposits were placed in the less than 24 hours. The Seattle ownership group — which includes billionaire David Bonderman and movie producer Jerry Bruckheimer — agreed to pay a $650-million expansion fee to the NHL.

When asked Monday if a team in Houston would be a new expansion team or relocated from another city, Fertitta said he didn’t know but he would be open to either option.

• Cheers 1

• 2 weeks later...