The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Coyotes lose vote for new arena - future unclear

Rate this topic

mll

4 hours ago, -DLC- said:

Something like that, they were just talking about it on 650.

Not sure if it was in relation to this rink, but basically you buy a ticket and can stand wherever you want.  :towel:

Yes it is a 5000 seat arena (or will be) my question is if they can’t sell out that building will the NHL finally give up on this mess in Arizona and move the team? 

• Cheers 1

7 hours ago, Attila Umbrus said:

….as Canadian team revenues prop up this little freak show of a franchise more and more.,.I wonder where the owners draw a line? 5000 seat capacity won’t generate much revenue….worse what if they can’t even fill a 5000 seat arena with fans…that would look so bad….actually I’ve change my mind I wanna see this play out lol…then move this team to Canada again where it belongs.

I was coming on to post exactly this.

For context, the Abbotsford arena holds about 7500 including luxury boxes and seating for hockey.  UBC holds the same capacity.  This option is a big step down from those…

It is one thing to do revenue sharing to get teams through tough times as it helps the league be stronger and who knows if your team needs that help at some point.

A permanent business model where the Arizona owners have zero capability to operate sustainably and require other owners to write cheques for millions of dollars is a much tougher ask.  Especially tough when having a team play in an arena smaller than many minor league ones makes the whole league look bad.  Worse when a “major” league has to adjust its schedule around college games rather than the reverse.

It would be different if another arena was actually under construction and this was just a bandaid due to timing.  There are no prospects for a new arena anywhere on the horizon.  Even if shovels went in the ground today, it is two years or more before they can move in.  Nothing is even planned or designed, so that is a 4-5 year window minimum even if some city bucks up right away to fund a new arena.

There is also almost no way this joke of an arena can be altered to NHL standards by next season so there is a lot of risk that even if the team started the season on a 20 game road trip, that they wouldn’t have an arena ready to go for their home games.  If the team isn’t relocated this summer, I kind of expect them to play some of their “home” games in another team’s arena.

Edited by Provost
  • Like 1
  • Cheers 1

7 hours ago, mll said:

“Alex is committed, Alex has the resources, and the Coyotes aren’t going anywhere,” Bettman said from the NHL Board of Governors meetings in December. “Well, they’re going somewhere else other than Glendale, but it’s in the greater Phoenix area.”

"They're going somewhere" - G. Buttman 

lol

Tell the truth Gary, you keep getting caught with your pants down.

Kinda like this pervert:

Auston Matthews Shirtless, Underwear, Girlfriend | Famewatcher

• Haha 2

15 hours ago, mll said:

Due to NCAA compliance issues, the Coyotes would not be permitted to use Sun Devil hockey’s team areas. They would have to build their own, without contribution from ASU, which does not need the extra areas or it would have already built them. One source estimated that cost between $15 and $20 million, with all of that money coming out of owner Alex Meruelo’s pocket.

Out of interest what are the compliance issues that would stop them using the team facilities? 

Friedman on his podcast says that it's basically a done deal.  He was told that they have to make changes to the arena to meet NHL standards set in the CBA notably to the visitors' dressing room and weight room and that it could reduce capacity to 3200.   The NHLPA is not happy but there might not be anything they can do. 

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, UKNuck96 said:

Out of interest what are the compliance issues that would stop them using the team facilities? 

Only a guess but there are rules that the NCAA have to adhere to to retain their amateur status and an overlap with a pro team is likely an issue.  The Coyotes will also need to make changes to meet NHL standards - would give their team an advantage over other amateur teams if they accept pro funding.  

15 minutes ago, mll said:

Only a guess but there are rules that the NCAA have to adhere to to retain their amateur status and an overlap with a pro team is likely an issue.  The Coyotes will also need to make changes to meet NHL standards - would give their team an advantage over other amateur teams if they accept pro funding.  

The owner has the gambling license tied to the hockey team too.  I wonder if that might effect the NCAA allowing the club to operate in the college rink?  

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 1

17 hours ago, King Heffy said:

As much as I don't like Marchand, this is hilarious.

Count Chockula can't be happy the players are slagging this. And they should be. Carrying Arizona hurts them financially too I think. 

Don't like the guy but kuddos to Marchand calling this/that fan base out. 

going to be even harder to get out from 'escrow' when a team is going to get a max of 3,200 seat capacity.

I wonder if Francesco has figured out how low his revenue has to go before he isn't paying into the equalization plan?

I'd have those numbers right at my finger tips and let the league know, they have to move the Coyotes, or have one less sugar daddy,  paying the bills, in the league.

1 hour ago, gurn said:

going to be even harder to get out from 'escrow' when a team is going to get a max of 3,200 seat capacity.

I wonder if Francesco has figured out how low his revenue has to go before he isn't paying into the equalization plan?

I'd have those numbers right at my finger tips and let the league know, they have to move the Coyotes, or have one less sugar daddy,  paying the bills, in the league.

Drop ticket prices and concession prices for a few years, please fans and give a big '&^@# you!' to the beggars of the NHL? :emot-parrot:

• Upvote 2