The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

City of Glendale will not renew arrangements with Coyotes to play at Gila River Arena past this season

Rate this topic

mll

15 hours ago, mll said:

Due to NCAA compliance issues, the Coyotes would not be permitted to use Sun Devil hockey’s team areas. They would have to build their own, without contribution from ASU, which does not need the extra areas or it would have already built them. One source estimated that cost between $15 and $20 million, with all of that money coming out of owner Alex Meruelo’s pocket.

Out of interest what are the compliance issues that would stop them using the team facilities? 

Friedman on his podcast says that it's basically a done deal.  He was told that they have to make changes to the arena to meet NHL standards set in the CBA notably to the visitors' dressing room and weight room and that it could reduce capacity to 3200.   The NHLPA is not happy but there might not be anything they can do. 

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, UKNuck96 said:

Out of interest what are the compliance issues that would stop them using the team facilities? 

Only a guess but there are rules that the NCAA have to adhere to to retain their amateur status and an overlap with a pro team is likely an issue.  The Coyotes will also need to make changes to meet NHL standards - would give their team an advantage over other amateur teams if they accept pro funding.  

15 minutes ago, mll said:

Only a guess but there are rules that the NCAA have to adhere to to retain their amateur status and an overlap with a pro team is likely an issue.  The Coyotes will also need to make changes to meet NHL standards - would give their team an advantage over other amateur teams if they accept pro funding.  

The owner has the gambling license tied to the hockey team too.  I wonder if that might effect the NCAA allowing the club to operate in the college rink?  

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 1

17 hours ago, King Heffy said:

As much as I don't like Marchand, this is hilarious.

Count Chockula can't be happy the players are slagging this. And they should be. Carrying Arizona hurts them financially too I think. 

Don't like the guy but kuddos to Marchand calling this/that fan base out. 

going to be even harder to get out from 'escrow' when a team is going to get a max of 3,200 seat capacity.

I wonder if Francesco has figured out how low his revenue has to go before he isn't paying into the equalization plan?

I'd have those numbers right at my finger tips and let the league know, they have to move the Coyotes, or have one less sugar daddy,  paying the bills, in the league.

1 hour ago, gurn said:

going to be even harder to get out from 'escrow' when a team is going to get a max of 3,200 seat capacity.

I wonder if Francesco has figured out how low his revenue has to go before he isn't paying into the equalization plan?

I'd have those numbers right at my finger tips and let the league know, they have to move the Coyotes, or have one less sugar daddy,  paying the bills, in the league.

Drop ticket prices and concession prices for a few years, please fans and give a big '&^@# you!' to the beggars of the NHL? :emot-parrot:

• Upvote 2

7 minutes ago, gurn said:

3,200 seats, making/confirming NHL status as "bush league".

how can the league now say to Quebec City "sorry too small a market"? 

they could move the Coyotes to Kamloops/capacity 6,400  or Kelowna capacity  6,886 and draw more fans,

The player’s union must be pissed at this.  If the Coyotes were in Quebec City the players would lose less to escrow.  3200 seats is ECHL size.  The club still needs to get a new arena plan approved, or this playing n that tiny rink is moot.  

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

29 minutes ago, MikeBossy said:

Hell move the team to Saskatoon - their arena seats 15,000 doesn't it? They could charge premium price and they would pay it - not like the 4 tickets 4 beers 4 hot dogs for $20 special in Arizona.

I would love to see a team in saskabush. Hard core hockey fans there would be doing cartwheels. Regina, Saskatoon, and all the other communities linked together in that area is over 500,000 people. They would all support that team. Great idea. 

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

1 minute ago, Mj2345 said:

Move the team already what a joke why does the NHL have such a hard on for Arizona? 

It’s not like there is a fan base in Arizona that will miss the team either.  The marine that club in Quebec City.  They’d go from having 5,000 fans who care (that’s a high estimate) to 500,000 over night.  The players would love playing in QC too.  The other owners would love the revenue.  

• Like 1

Just now, Alflives said:

It’s not like there is a fan base in Arizona that will miss the team either.  The marine that club in Quebec City.  They’d go from having 5,000 fans who care (that’s a high estimate) to 500,000 over night.  The players would love playing in QC too.  The other owners would love the revenue.  

Bettman really must hate Quebec

9 minutes ago, Mj2345 said:

Bettman really must hate Quebec

I wonder if in some twisted way Betman thinks Matthews, when he signs in two years with the Coyotes, will do for hockey in Arizona what Gretzky did for hockey in SoCal?  

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, gurn said:

Victoria B.C., has a 7,000 seat hockey arena; move the coyotes to there.

They can play at Save On Center until a new arena is built.

Cut down on a lot of pacific division travel.

Arizona was moved to the Central division to make room for Seattle in the Pacific.

• Upvote 1