The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Coyotes lose vote for new arena - future unclear

Rate this topic

mll

7 minutes ago, gurn said:

3,200 seats, making/confirming NHL status as "bush league".

how can the league now say to Quebec City "sorry too small a market"? 

they could move the Coyotes to Kamloops/capacity 6,400  or Kelowna capacity  6,886 and draw more fans,

The player’s union must be pissed at this.  If the Coyotes were in Quebec City the players would lose less to escrow.  3200 seats is ECHL size.  The club still needs to get a new arena plan approved, or this playing n that tiny rink is moot.  

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

29 minutes ago, MikeBossy said:

Hell move the team to Saskatoon - their arena seats 15,000 doesn't it? They could charge premium price and they would pay it - not like the 4 tickets 4 beers 4 hot dogs for $20 special in Arizona.

I would love to see a team in saskabush. Hard core hockey fans there would be doing cartwheels. Regina, Saskatoon, and all the other communities linked together in that area is over 500,000 people. They would all support that team. Great idea. 

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

1 minute ago, Mj2345 said:

Move the team already what a joke why does the NHL have such a hard on for Arizona? 

It’s not like there is a fan base in Arizona that will miss the team either.  The marine that club in Quebec City.  They’d go from having 5,000 fans who care (that’s a high estimate) to 500,000 over night.  The players would love playing in QC too.  The other owners would love the revenue.  

• Like 1

Just now, Alflives said:

It’s not like there is a fan base in Arizona that will miss the team either.  The marine that club in Quebec City.  They’d go from having 5,000 fans who care (that’s a high estimate) to 500,000 over night.  The players would love playing in QC too.  The other owners would love the revenue.  

Bettman really must hate Quebec

14 minutes ago, gurn said:

Victoria B.C., has a 7,000 seat hockey arena; move the coyotes to there.

They can play at Save On Center until a new arena is built.

Cut down on a lot of pacific division travel.

Arizona was moved to the Central division to make room for Seattle in the Pacific.

• Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

Then put them in Saskatoon.

Tbh allowing them to be in. 3200 seat arena really takes the biscuit to smaller markets who have been locked out. 

Houston, Portland, Quebec, Saskatoon, Hamilton should all get a team before they get to play at that size arena.

hell if the NHL wants to be adventurous the franchise is already failing why not move them to Europe and see how they would fare in a major hockey town over there.

Switzerland could be a good base, with their hockey crowds (however not sure if that market is already saturated) 

21 hours ago, Alflives said:

I wonder if in some twisted way Betman thinks Matthews, when he signs in two years with the Coyotes, will do for hockey in Arizona what Gretzky did for hockey in SoCal?  

Or if his pride is so extreme he just won't admit a mistake when he makes one.   Not every US team has done well, ARI of course is the one that's sucked the most, but CAR also.   Even though they won a cup and went to the final ... wasn't that long ago that their players had to do gimmicks to get fans in seats both on and off ice - now a top team...either of these teams  in Quebec would be sold out every game.   Good or bad.  

On 1/30/2022 at 10:59 AM, gurn said:

Victoria B.C., has a 7,000 seat hockey arena; move the coyotes to there.

They can play at Save On Center until a new arena is built.

Cut down on a lot of pacific division travel.

Loved watching the salmon kings play there back in the day. Tough ass pro hockey. Tried getting into the Royals but it’s not thecsame for me. Junior hockey is less structured than pro hockey…obviously. I noticed the difference first hand as I got to compare both ECHL game structure to WHL game structure when the salmon kings folded and the Royals come in. I liked ECHL hockey more.

Great arena tho! I miss going to the Victoria Shamrock games out in colwood too. Awesome crowd there. 

Over half a million people on the island alone. I’ve always thought they could support their own NHL franchise.

• Upvote 1

On 1/29/2022 at 1:51 PM, Alflives said:

QC certainly better than Edmunchuck.

On 1/30/2022 at 11:39 AM, IBatch said:

Or if his pride is so extreme he just won't admit a mistake when he makes one.   Not every US team has done well, ARI of course is the one that's sucked the most, but CAR also.   Even though they won a cup and went to the final ... wasn't that long ago that their players had to do gimmicks to get fans in seats both on and off ice - now a top team...either of these teams  in Quebec would be sold out every game.   Good or bad.  

It is a good point about Carolina… they have been pretty good on the ice but haven’t gone beyond fringe status in the market.

I was down there a couple years ago in Winston-Salem (near Raleigh and part of the university research triangle) and went into this huge sports store in the mall that only sold different team apparel.  They had stuff from dozens of teams including every college sports program within a couple states.

Not a SINGLE Hurricanes Jersey/t shirt/beer mug…. I found one type of hat for the team.  It was really shocking.

I think we have found the end of the road for the Coyotes.  No way the league signs off on a plan for one of their teams to be playing in an arena that size for what would be a minimum of 4 years… and that is if they actually had an iron clad agreement from a place like Tempe to build a proper arena, which they don’t.  That is the kind of band aid you use if your arena is almost done but construction is unexpectedly delayed… not as a semi-permanent home.

The other owners would have to agree to hand over tens of millions in revenue sharing cheques to an Arizona owner who isn’t even making a pretence of trying to be competitive.

Barring something unexpected, the Coyotes are going to be having a temporary out of state home for next season or will be playing “home” games at a neutral site like another existing NHL arena.

• Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

On 1/29/2022 at 7:33 AM, UKNuck96 said:

3200 seats to put that into a UK perspective 

5 teams play in rinks bigger than that 

Belfast Giants (9957) Sheffield Steelers (8300) Nottingham Panthers (8000) Glasgow Clan (4000) Fife flyers (3280) and fifes rink at Kirkcaldy is basically a warehouse with an Art Deco entrance 

also now defunct Newcastle vipers could seat 5500

its a joke for them to even entertain the idea.fair enough if it was for a few months because of a new arena over run or a natural disaster event that damaged their main rink. 

As much as i hate the whole moving teams, this isn’t a pyramid league and as such it needs to go elsewhere 

44A98A0C-69C6-476C-A4BB-7DD639024F02.jpeg

Must be a slap in the face for the people in Winnipeg for Bettman to allow for this to continue happening. If Bettman had 1/100th of the dedication in keeping the old Jets in Winnipeg the team would never had relocated.

• Upvote 2

On 1/28/2022 at 4:50 PM, gurn said:

3,200 seats, making/confirming NHL status as "bush league".

how can the league now say to Quebec City "sorry too small a market"? 

they could move the Coyotes to Kamloops/capacity 6,400  or Kelowna capacity  6,886 and draw more fans,

Wasn't Bettman all over about Calgary needing a new arena, and yet says little about Arizona and that maybe they can still play in Glendale ?

Just typical of the NHL with different sets of standards and rules in how they approach everything in hockey

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 2

14 hours ago, ba;;isticsports said:

Wasn't Bettman all over about Calgary needing a new arena, and yet says little about Arizona and that maybe they can still play in Glendale ?

Just typical of the NHL with different sets of standards and rules in how they approach everything in hockey

Yeah at this point it's starting to become transparent that Bettman has favoritism here. If Calgary had 6000 people in attendance he would have forced the team to relocate 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2